Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 11:38

genome If we could get a decent fee for him, then I wouldn't be against him moving on. Ejaria is a skilful playmaker so I don't think we would miss him too much.

I would prefer we sold Swift rather than Moore.

Moore every time for me.

Can you imagine how dreadful we'd be without Swift? 15 fewer goals, that's almost a third of our total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 11:40

There are several players out there who are younger, fitter and cheaper than John Swift. Swift is a show pony who puts in minimal effort season in and season out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jul 2020 11:41

AS far as I'm concerned screw it, sell everyone and build from scratch with academy players.

If covid has hit us hard and our financial position is dodgy we're not going to be able to do much and might just have to ride out the storm until things settle.

Either that or we don't need to lose anyone in which case let's keep our star players and add to it for that playoff chasing team we desire.

There's noone really in our squad who I think is standout indispensible. Except for me perhaps Joao / Ejaria.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2020 11:43

Old Man Andrews There are several players out there who are younger, fitter and cheaper than John Swift. Swift is a show pony who puts in minimal effort season in and season out.

I can't agree with that at all.

Swift has been very good this season and has shown more effort than most. He is getting more stuck in to tackles and trying to dictate the game. When Swift plays well, we play well. When he doesn't we look pretty clueless.

He has been a bit unlucky with injuries the last couple of years but this has been, by far, his best season with us after his first season and for me, is probably our most improved player compared to last year.

Every player has his price but I would be really gutted if we let him go on the cheap.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 11:45

Hendo
Old Man Andrews There are several players out there who are younger, fitter and cheaper than John Swift. Swift is a show pony who puts in minimal effort season in and season out.

Swift has been very good this season and has shown more effort than most. He is getting more stuck in to tackles and trying to dictate the game. When Swift plays well, we play well. When he doesn't we look pretty clueless.

He has been a bit unlucky with injuries the last couple of years but this has been, by far, his best season with us after his first season and for me, is probably our most improved player compared to last year.

Every player has his price but I would be really gutted if we let him go on the cheap.

He is good when he wants to be, when things are going well normally. Where has he been in our most recent games when the chips are down? He certainly is worth a lot more than £3.5 million but he isn't going to be as big a loss as Ian the Swift lover makes out. There are a load of players similar to Swift out there.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jul 2020 12:02

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

He is good when he wants to be, when things are going well normally. Where has he been in our most recent games when the chips are down? He certainly is worth a lot more than £3.5 million but he isn't going to be as big a loss as Ian the Swift lover makes out. There are a load of players similar to Swift out there.

Where has anyone been in our last few games? When morale is down and things aren't working and the team is shite then unfortunately it affects everyone adversely.

It'd be a real shame for us to let clubs take advantage of our poor financial state and the temporary poor form of our stars.

I've always rated Swift but right now as I say they may as well all go and start from scratch if we're financially screwed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 12:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Where has anyone been in our last few games? When morale is down and things aren't working and the team is shite then unfortunately it affects everyone adversely.

It'd be a real shame for us to let clubs take advantage of our poor financial state and the temporary poor form of our stars.

I've always rated Swift but right now as I say they may as well all go and start from scratch if we're financially screwed.

As one of our better players and a player who has been here a while I expect slightly more from him. I want to see him take games by the scruff of the neck and get his teammates going, he just seems to go missing when the chips are down.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Jul 2020 12:07

As long as we don’t lose Rinomhota or Olise, I’ll be happy. Would be a good time for Swift to move on, but let’s at least get a good fee for him. Issue is, what’s a decent fee post-Covid? No one knows

He’s been a good player for us, no denying it. But we need more Rinomhota’s who’ll give a 7/10 every week rather than more flashy players giving us a 9/10 every 8 games...that’s the long term growth we need right now. Swift has improved in consistency though, so will be a loss unless replaced

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 12:18

Old Man Andrews Sheffield United bid for Swift

£3.5m :D :D :D :D

I thought he was top class in our game against them. Not surprised they are interested

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 12:21

Snowflake Royal
genome If we could get a decent fee for him, then I wouldn't be against him moving on. Ejaria is a skilful playmaker so I don't think we would miss him too much.

I would prefer we sold Swift rather than Moore.

Moore every time for me.

Can you imagine how dreadful we'd be without Swift? 15 fewer goals, that's almost a third of our total.

I'm getting to the point with Moore that I'd happily he just left, regardless of any fee. He is undoubtedly on a very big wage.

Swift has been superb this season, I dont know how that can even be question tbh. But for him personally, it would be time for him to move on. If we can pull in about 8m+ then I think thats reasonable in current conditions, and again a big wage off the bill

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jul 2020 12:23

Market has changed. £8m+ not realistic in a Covid world. £5m+ add ons would be a good bid. Current £3.5m not good enough yet.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jul 2020 12:25

WestYorksRoyal Market has changed. £8m+ not realistic in a Covid world. £5m+ add ons would be a good bid. Current £3.5m not good enough yet.

Fair price I reckon - plays well one game in 5 and has hamstring issues

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 12:28

WestYorksRoyal Market has changed. £8m+ not realistic in a Covid world. £5m+ add ons would be a good bid. Current £3.5m not good enough yet.

yeah maybe true. Dunno where the market is now currently tbh. If Leeds are also interested, hopefully the competition can drive the price closer to that 8 than 3.5 though

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jul 2020 12:28

He has talent but has been inconsistent for years, this season included. I refer to all the posts following our hammering against Brentford. If we're to have a clear out, I'm not against getting a decent fee for Swift.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jul 2020 12:29

I do hope 3.5M is just a starting offer as that would be far too little IMO. If RFC accept such a derisory bid then we really are in financial trouble.

Even in this market 5-7M should be the minimum we should consider and if there is enough interest from several buyers then this could push the price up as high as 10M.

It is shame that we have three excellent but similar players in Swift/Ejaria and Olise. In a balanced team you would probably only play one or at most two of these three and so bearing in mind that the other two are so young and have so much potential, it would make sense for us to cash in on Swift this summer and he deserves a chance at PL level.

I just hope that we can reinvest some of this money on making the Ejaria deal permanent and on a defensive midfield player to help Rino out (Lewis Baker???) and some width.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 12:36

Mid Sussex Royal

That's simply not an accurate description of Swift this season.

He's been consistently good and even since the restart he's just been a bit disappointing, and that's 3 games.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jul 2020 12:40

I wouldn't be worried about us selling for £3.5m, clubs will always low ball the first offer. If there is genuine interest I think he will go and considering our financial position, should go but hopefully the club negotiate a fair price.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jul 2020 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

He's been consistently good and even since the restart he's just been a bit disappointing, and that's 3 games.

It is a fair price as there is no money in the game at all; where have you been since March?

The days of championship players going for silly money are over.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 13:03

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

It is a fair price as there is no money in the game at all; where have you been since March?

The days of championship players going for silly money are over.

Don't try getting into a Swift debate with Ian. John Swift could literally take a shit through Ian's letterbox and he still wouldn't say a word against him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Jul 2020 13:05

Swifts been decent this season however his injury prone fitness is still a concern for me. He really doesn’t look fit again after lockdown.

He’d struggle at a Leeds where they need greyhounds in midfield- or Sheffield Utd for similar reasons unless he’s a direct replacement for Norwood.

432 posts