Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 15:24

That's ma point wages are the killer so we should sort them out, not try to plug their hole with transfer fees.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 15:32

Snowflake Royal That's ma point wages are the killer so we should sort them out, not try to plug their hole with transfer fees.

I agree overall. We're fine for cash flow and solvency so long as our owners remain interested, but being utterly reliant upon ownership does not sit comfortably. We should try and be sustainable. Though without a stadium and training ground we're not remotely close to sustainable

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Jul 2020 15:35

Never know we might get Besic or Osborn as part of the deal would sound a bit more attractive then. Even on loan for the season.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Jul 2020 15:38

Old Man Andrews
Hound We can strengthen without spending much at all with the correct scouting

I do hope from his time as DoF and in charge with a huge overpaid squad, Bowen will have a good understanding of what we need to do to move forward. Certainly some of the names we've been linked with such as Josh Laurent do seem to be more where I think the majority would like to see the club go

Do we have actual scouts? Genuinely don't know the answer. Assumed all we had was Kia Joorabchian's mobile phone contacts.

I believe Nicky Shorey is one of our scouts now last time I checked they do exist

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2020 07:48

Everyone complains about how poor we've been for seasons, there is not one player in this squad we should be worried about losing and if this fee for Swift covers some costs now and looks to guarantee some income in the next year or two, which has been suggested then fair play.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jul 2020 08:08

If I may gloat, I pointed out he was a class player of PL quality when he joined only for some wise folk of HNA to mock me at the time. Many thanks.

If I may anti-gloat, he has had some pretty poor games and has been involved in some of the worst football we've played in recent times and of course that could be despite him not because of him, but I don't know. If it means we clear some wages and Ejaria or someone else gets to grow into a central midfielder role then so be it. He's good but not that good. Losing Danny Williams was a far bigger blow.

Overall not pleased but only because it costs me personally nothing to keep him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2020 08:19

Selling Swift for £3.5 million is disappointing. We should be getting more for him than that but needs must. I hope from now on we are sensibly run again. We have been a shambles over the past five or six years.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2020 09:24

Zip Selling Swift for £3.5 million is disappointing. We should be getting more for him than that but needs must. I hope from now on we are sensibly run again. We have been a shambles over the past five or six years.

3.5 is the initial fee apparently, no mention of what the fee could or will be.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 Jul 2020 10:08

Personally think we shouldn't be accepting below £8mil, especially from a Prem Club. Although that is pre-covid prices.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2020 19:19

Stranded
Zip Selling Swift for £3.5 million is disappointing. We should be getting more for him than that but needs must. I hope from now on we are sensibly run again. We have been a shambles over the past five or six years.

Yep. I’m sure it could rise with appearances etc but even so it is very low for a highly fancied English Championship player.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Jul 2020 19:35

Need to wait and see what happens in the market this summer before judging whether this is fair cop.

The days of championship players such as Maupay going for £20m are long gone and hopefully won't be back.

Clubs aren't getting the revenue in until at least October and need money now.

I think if we are offered similar for Moore we should deal as well.

I sincerely hope we take a punt on a few up and coming lower league players this year rather than imports from Kia on big money and long contracts

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Jul 2020 00:25

Zip
Stranded

Yep. I’m sure it could rise with appearances etc but even so it is very low for a highly fancied English Championship player.

Well, he's not a bad looking lad but really....?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 09:28

Fake journalist Courtney Friday making things up on Twitter regarding John Swift.....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2020 09:55

Old Man Andrews Fake journalist Courtney Friday making things up on Twitter regarding John Swift.....

Certainly believable. Not really good news if true. I presume that to keep him here, we'd have to come close to matching Sheff Utd's wages or be stuck with an unhappy player.

It's not like he is irreplaceable. A good player, but the bigger picture of running the club sustainably is more important.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 22 Jul 2020 10:12

Best news ever if he stays.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jul 2020 10:54

WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews Fake journalist Courtney Friday making things up on Twitter regarding John Swift.....

Certainly believable. Not really good news if true. I presume that to keep him here, we'd have to come close to matching Sheff Utd's wages or be stuck with an unhappy player.

It's not like he is irreplaceable. A good player, but the bigger picture of running the club sustainably is more important.

Wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that this is just a tactic to get more money from Sheff Utd either.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Jul 2020 11:09

I do think we should sell Swift if a good offer comes in but the fact is that £3.5m isn't a good offer, the club know this and I'm sure Swift and his agent do. Look all over Twitter, Sheffield United fans think they're getting a bargain.

Premier League clubs have a lot of money and unlike EFL clubs aren't really feeling the squeeze of this coronavirus no fans period, we shouldn't be sitting back and allowing ourselves to be mugged off just because we need to get our finances, particularly our wage bill, in order.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Jul 2020 12:45

tidus_mi2 I do think we should sell Swift if a good offer comes in but the fact is that £3.5m isn't a good offer, the club know this and I'm sure Swift and his agent do. Look all over Twitter, Sheffield United fans think they're getting a bargain.

Premier League clubs have a lot of money and unlike EFL clubs aren't really feeling the squeeze of this coronavirus no fans period, we shouldn't be sitting back and allowing ourselves to be mugged off just because we need to get our finances, particularly our wage bill, in order.

Especially to a shit club like Sheffield Utd. Lose their manager and they'll be in the Championship before you know it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2020 13:10

Hendo
WestYorksRoyal

Wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that this is just a tactic to get more money from Sheff Utd either.

How well did it go with Moore and Loader?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jul 2020 13:20

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
WestYorksRoyal Certainly believable. Not really good news if true. I presume that to keep him here, we'd have to come close to matching Sheff Utd's wages or be stuck with an unhappy player.

How well did it go with Moore and Loader?

Obviously not great with Loader, but with Moore at the time, he was probably one of the best CBs in the league so the club had every right to turn down bids for him if they wanted more money.

Moore might be worth a bit less than the money they were offered before but people don't have a crystal ball and foresee his form dropping leading him to be behind an academy graduate and a free transfer from a similar club. If he had continued his high level of performance then I daresay that clubs would still be very interested in him.

Me, I like Moore and I am very glad they declined the offers they got for him because at the time he was our best defender and I they tied him down with a contract, yes it was probably too much money, but that's life, it happens in football. We have made much worse errors than keeping Liam Moore and giving him an improved deal.

432 posts