Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Millsy » 04 Aug 2020 09:10

SCIAG
Notts Royal
As Snowflake has said, there’s not 1 player we currently have that is indispensable. We have some good players but not a Gylfi or a Long at the mo.

And of course we dispensed with both of those two after less than a year of good performances.

Don’t think we should underestimate how reliant we have been on Swift this year. If we lose him then we have to rebalance the squad. It can be done but it is a challenge.

True, we'll have to rebalance the squad.

But that can only be a good thing as has been probably the most unbalanced bizarre squad I've known us have for a long time. We still don't have a clear shape/ plan/ system and maybe part of the problem is feeling compelled to play certain players because they're good.

Perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise to lose Swift.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2020 09:24

SCIAG
Notts Royal
As Snowflake has said, there’s not 1 player we currently have that is indispensable. We have some good players but not a Gylfi or a Long at the mo.

And of course we dispensed with both of those two after less than a year of good performances.

Don’t think we should underestimate how reliant we have been on Swift this year. If we lose him then we have to rebalance the squad. It can be done but it is a challenge.

Gotta do that anyway

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 04 Aug 2020 09:56

Millsy
SCIAG
Notts Royal

True, we'll have to rebalance the squad.

But that can only be a good thing as has been probably the most unbalanced bizarre squad I've known us have for a long time. We still don't have a clear shape/ plan/ system and maybe part of the problem is feeling compelled to play certain players because they're good.

Perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise to lose Swift.

Exactly. We might replace him with someone not quite as good, but the overall impact could be more positive.

I always remember when we sold Gylfi and then signed Ian Harte...we all thought WTF! But it was a master stroke by Brian

Hard to trust that the club are intelligent about this nowadays, but rebalancing the squad doesn’t always come at a high cost and is the reset we certainly need

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Aug 2020 10:48

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Absolutely. Goals in the Championship are the hardest and most important thing to come, it's why clubs always used to sign Kevin Phillips for a promotion campaign.

But sure, Ross McCormack is the highest scoring championship player and he has never been promoted. Goals may be important but never should be valued above the team. Swift makes this team work.

To what end though? Our average finishing position since he’s been here has been 14th. Just because he’s one of the better performers In THIS team doesn’t mean we couldn’t perform overall better with different players in a different style.

I wouldn’t be sorry to see Swift go one bit.

This is a bit of an old comment of mine and I have accepted a move up is something he deserves.

On the "average position" thing thats nuts. He was good in his first season, injured in his second, learned how to run differently so he isnt constantly injured and has been the most consistently bright spark in our team since he joined.

Arsenal have been underperformed for a while, guess they shouldn't try keep Aubameyang because they might do better as a team without him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Aug 2020 10:59

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth But sure, Ross McCormack is the highest scoring championship player and he has never been promoted. Goals may be important but never should be valued above the team. Swift makes this team work.

To what end though? Our average finishing position since he’s been here has been 14th. Just because he’s one of the better performers In THIS team doesn’t mean we couldn’t perform overall better with different players in a different style.

I wouldn’t be sorry to see Swift go one bit.

This is a bit of an old comment of mine and I have accepted a move up is something he deserves.

On the "average position" thing thats nuts. He was good in his first three months, picked up an injury on international duty and struggled to find form after his return, injured in his second, learned how to run differently so he isnt constantly injured and has been the most consistently bright spark in our team since he joined.

Arsenal have been underperformed for a while, guess they shouldn't try keep Aubameyang because they might do better as a team without him.

Corrected for you

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Aug 2020 11:11

tbh it hasn't been working for the last 5 years. A different approach and team is no bad thing. It's time for a change. if it means we lose some of our better players? meh, who gives a oxf*rd. there is no one in the squad that I'm worried about losing. I'm fairly sure we could achieve a similar league position next year with a team mostly made up on the existing first-team academy products that have come through and some freebies/bargain basement players supplementing some of our fringe players.

In summary, just hurry up and get him out the door and start building for next year

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Aug 2020 11:22

WoodleyRoyal tbh it hasn't been working for the last 5 years. A different approach and team is no bad thing. It's time for a change. if it means we lose some of our better players? meh, who gives a oxf*rd. there is no one in the squad that I'm worried about losing. I'm fairly sure we could achieve a similar league position next year with a team mostly made up on the existing first-team academy products that have come through and some freebies/bargain basement players supplementing some of our fringe players.

In summary, just hurry up and get him out the door and start building for next year

Exactly. Get Warnock in and let's start playing some traditional football - none of this fancy knocking it about the back four nonsense.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Aug 2020 12:26

John Smith
WoodleyRoyal tbh it hasn't been working for the last 5 years. A different approach and team is no bad thing. It's time for a change. if it means we lose some of our better players? meh, who gives a oxf*rd. there is no one in the squad that I'm worried about losing. I'm fairly sure we could achieve a similar league position next year with a team mostly made up on the existing first-team academy products that have come through and some freebies/bargain basement players supplementing some of our fringe players.

Exactly. Get Warnock in and let's start playing some traditional football - none of this fancy knocking it about the back four nonsense.

Warnock is never going to be a good fit for Reading, animosity towards him started in the 05/06 season and by the time it drops sufficiently enough for him to be a viable choice as manager, he'll have already retired...probably.

Besides, why would he take a massive sideways move right now?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2020 14:45

Warnock's the guy you get in for 6 months to stay up.

Or if you're close to promotion but not quite there.

He's not a guy to bring in for long term, or to rebuild. Not anymore.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2020 08:50

I'd love to get Ainsley Harriott in but it'll never happen.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2020 09:45

This 100%.

This team needs major surgery and the underachieving mediocre lazy shit removed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 09:50

leon

This 100%.

This team needs major surgery and the underachieving mediocre lazy shit removed.

Yup. I'll be concerned if Swift is still here when the window closes. If it becomes a protracted deal across the window to get a larger fee, fine. But we need to manage FFP and rebuild; selling Swift seems like an obvious way to do this

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 09:53

I'd also worry about his motivation tbh. Prob the best chance he'll get to play PL if he moves this season.

Another season of struggle in the lower reaches of the champ are unlikely to be where his head is at

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 10:45

TalkSPORT reporting that we've rejected a £4m bid. Good on us. Not enough.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Aug 2020 10:50

WestYorksRoyal TalkSPORT reporting that we've rejected a £4m bid. Good on us. Not enough.

So they’ve raised the offer by £500k...pathetic. If they can afford £10m for Matty Cash, they can seriously up their offer for Swift

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2020 11:03

£4M is derisory, Sheffield United can oxf*rd right off with that amount. Even with Covid-19 affecting finances we should be holding out for £6M minimum as a guaranteed fee.

We'll unfortunately be seeing other clubs who are aware that we are close with FFP trying to hold us to ransom and hard balling with fees. Watch Leeds offer us £2M for Olise next!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 11:06

Royal_jimmy £4M is derisory, Sheffield United can oxf*rd right off with that amount. Even with Covid-19 affecting finances we should be holding out for £6M minimum as a guaranteed fee.

We'll unfortunately be seeing other clubs who are aware that we are close with FFP trying to hold us to ransom and hard balling with fees. Watch Leeds offer us £2M for Olise next!

If Leeds offer £8m for Swift and Olise combined.....would you take it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 11:21

WestYorksRoyal
Royal_jimmy £4M is derisory, Sheffield United can oxf*rd right off with that amount. Even with Covid-19 affecting finances we should be holding out for £6M minimum as a guaranteed fee.

dont be silly

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Aug 2020 11:38

WestYorksRoyal
leon

This 100%.

Yup. I'll be concerned if Swift is still here when the window closes. If it becomes a protracted deal across the window to get a larger fee, fine. But we need to manage FFP and rebuild; selling Swift seems like an obvious way to do this

Especially if we resign Ejaria

Will be disappointed if we start 2020/21 with Swift, Ejaria and Olise all in the XI again, it just doesn’t work

Think Swift could flourish under a manager like Bielsa or Wilder. He looked a different player under Gomes but he’s been quite disappointing since the Christmas run in

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 11:46

WestYorksRoyal

In a heartbeat.

432 posts