Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2020 22:11

Hound
Chameleon
WestYorksRoyal ^^^ This 100%. Pundits say you can't get promoted too early. Bollocks. You most definitely can. This is, mostly, a young squad. A few good additions this summer and we would be so much better prepared.

There is never a bad time to get £100m + £60m in parachute payments.

Exactly. Bank that then work from there

If you are sensible, worse than can happen is you come back down but with a huge chunk of cash

The problem is that is almost never what happens.

The fact is, what normally happens is fans demand signings and players demand PL wages. Wage bills escalate, the money is spent and because you weren't ready, you get lumbered with a bunch of proven failures nobody wants and you can no longer afford.

Does no one learn lessons from the past despite all the black holes, sales, financial disasters, embargoes and near misses?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2020 23:00

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Chameleon

If you are sensible, worse than can happen is you come back down but with a huge chunk of cash

The fact is, what normally happens is fans demand signings and players demand PL wages. Wage bills escalate, the money is spent and because you weren't ready, you get lumbered with a bunch of proven failures nobody wants and you can no longer afford.

Does no one learn lessons from the past despite all the black holes, sales, financial disasters, embargoes and near misses?

You make mistakes in the past to learn lessons to improve in the future

Hopefully, and this is very hypothetical considering we’re still 14th, if we did manage to somehow go up, we would learn our lessons from previous failed experiences

Not every player would demand high wages too. There are hungry players out there who want to play football and not for the pay check

Or in other words, if you want to survive, don’t copy Villa’s example of buying anyone and everyone who don’t really care one bit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2020 08:46

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Chameleon

Burnley got it right. Leicester as well, though they stayed up. Brighton will be happy enough, though they’ve bought some utter toss more recently

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2020 09:10

I just think we have too much to do to allow us to get it right and our record of running the club well is still dodgy.

Burnley are extremely well run. And they've taken the long view, never betting the farm and sticking with the same manager.

I'll enjoy a promotion as much as the next person. But I want it to stick and seeing as I'm here for the long haul one good season isn't enough to make up for 5 shit ones after.

We've amply demonstrated twice before that the money all gets sucked away on promotion, even without apparently spending big.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Jan 2020 10:40

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Chameleon

Well any club worth it’s salt, and especially us who have had our fingers burnt in the past should be writing in relegation wage drops as well as promotion pay rise - of equal measure 25% pay increase if promoted 25% decrease if relegated. If we haven’t got this sort of thing in place then we are mugs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2020 11:21

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Well any club worth it’s salt, and especially us who have had our fingers burnt in the past should be writing in relegation wage drops as well as promotion pay rise - of equal measure 25% pay increase if promoted 25% decrease if relegated. If we haven’t got this sort of thing in place then we are mugs.

Unfortunately we've been mugs for quite a lot of the last 5 or 6 years, which is when most of our current contracts were written.

Even with those clauses in place when we weren't mugs, post Coppell relegation, we still had black holes. And whilst the money we would receive has sky rocketed, so have wages in the PL.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jan 2020 12:01

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Or,we,live in the real world.
Contracts are an agreement between several,parties and if a clubis desperate for a player and possibly competing with other clubs then there is every chance that the player will want any clause that sees his wages drop to be removed. Players have the strong suit, clubs can’t just impose conditions at will. If a player agrees to a relegation clause they will probably either also want a release,clause at a low price or to start on a higher figure to sure the ‘cut’ just takes them to where they would have started anyway.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jan 2020 12:28

Snowflake Royal I just think we have too much to do to allow us to get it right and our record of running the club well is still dodgy.

Burnley are extremely well run. And they've taken the long view, never betting the farm and sticking with the same manager.

I'll enjoy a promotion as much as the next person. But I want it to stick and seeing as I'm here for the long haul one good season isn't enough to make up for 5 shit ones after.

We've amply demonstrated twice before that the money all gets sucked away on promotion, even without apparently spending big.

The last paragraph is the problem I see with going up. There may not be a bad time to get 100 million but we have definitely shown that it is not always a good thing either. There are so many clubs that have gone up, spent too much and come crashing back down. We need to develop properly otherwise what is the point?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2020 16:07

If/when Leeds get promoted this season, Swifty is allegedly top of their wants list. If true let’s hope the club can get a mountain of cash up front although given the current circumstances I don’t think anyone knows yet what would be good money. Therefore if he does go let’s hope it’s late in the window so Reading can hopefully get a handle on what deal values are going to be.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Jun 2020 16:14

Sutekh If/when Leeds get promoted this season, Swifty is allegedly top of their wants list. If true let’s hope the club can get a mountain of cash up front although given the current circumstances I don’t think anyone knows yet what would be good money. Therefore if he does go let’s hope it’s late in the window so Reading can hopefully get a handle on what deal values are going to be.

The good news is that the three newly promoted clubs will be in line for a lot of PL cash and so will have money to spend. This move would not be a surprise and so provided Leeds offer enough it would mean they get a good player and Swifty gets a chance at the PL.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jul 2020 13:48

Swift and Bielsa's Leeds could be a great fit to be fair. I could see improving and developing consistency under him. Key thing would be ensuring we get a good fee and ensuring the deal works for all parties.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jul 2020 13:52

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I just think we have too much to do to allow us to get it right and our record of running the club well is still dodgy.

The last paragraph is the problem I see with going up. There may not be a bad time to get 100 million but we have definitely shown that it is not always a good thing either. There are so many clubs that have gone up, spent too much and come crashing back down. We need to develop properly otherwise what is the point?

I'm not close to Huddersfield, but pretty sure they were financially sensible when they went up. Did they just invest badly upon relegation? Either way, it's another example that you can most definitely get promoted too soon, and it can take a club backwards in the medium term.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jul 2020 16:37

The more I think about it this could be a good move for all concerned. I think Swift could do very well at Leeds and we cannot keep playing Swift, Ejaria and Olise in the same team. If we could instead bring in a Lewis Baker type player and buy Ejaria our squad would be more balanced.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2020 09:55

WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth

I'm not close to Huddersfield, but pretty sure they were financially sensible when they went up. Did they just invest badly upon relegation? Either way, it's another example that you can most definitely get promoted too soon, and it can take a club backwards in the medium term.

I dont know with Huddersfield. They spent 50 million on promotion and another 50 million the next season. I imagine contracts were a big issue as well as the fact that player sales in that time amount to under 20 million.

Its just bad recruitment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 11:14

andrew1957 The more I think about it this could be a good move for all concerned. I think Swift could do very well at Leeds and we cannot keep playing Swift, Ejaria and Olise in the same team. If we could instead bring in a Lewis Baker type player and buy Ejaria our squad would be more balanced.

I'd be disappointed to lose Swift, having watched him be poor for years only to come good and get sold immediately.

But if it got us Baker that would be excellent consolation.

Realistically, Swift is one of only a few saleable players and we need to start cashing in. Refusing big sales on Moore and Loader has lead to reducing performance and value at the same time as we spend big and lose loads.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2020 11:18

If we could get a decent fee for him, then I wouldn't be against him moving on. Ejaria is a skilful playmaker so I don't think we would miss him too much.

I would prefer we sold Swift rather than Moore.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 11:21

Sheffield United bid for Swift

£3.5m :D :D :D :D

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2020 11:26

Has he still got the highest chance creation in the division? That should put a couple of extra mill on his pricetag. Good amount of time left on his contract. Young, English. Should be looking at £8m+.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jul 2020 11:30

I have the engine running and snacks in the glove box. now just need to track him down so I can drive him there

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 11:35

Pepe the Horseman Has he still got the highest chance creation in the division? That should put a couple of extra mill on his pricetag. Good amount of time left on his contract. Young, English. Should be looking at £8m+.

Yeah thats about right. Sheffield United are just trying to take advantage of our financial position.

432 posts