Speculation: Lewis Baker

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Speculation: Lewis Baker

by Nameless » 08 Jun 2020 16:27

Snowflake Royal Thought the whole selling point of Adam was that he wouldn't be that expensive and would be a great bet for moving into a coaching role.

He was free and on a 1 year deal so cheaper than (say) Ejaria who will cost us a fee and 3 years wages. Giving Adam another year doubles his cost for fairly low mites return. He won’t be on low wages.

I had thought he’d be an obvious potential coach and perhaps he maybe, but whether he would make the transition here seems questionable. With th8ngs tight financially do we really need another coach ?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jun 2020 09:14

If a big bid comes in for Swift, Baker would be my top choice replacement. Who knows how the transfer market looks this summer though

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jun 2020 09:14

Can't imagine Adam's wages are that high considering the other team in for him were Blackpool.

I wouldn't mind Adam staying principally as a coach, he seems to be intelligent, well respected and a good role model.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jun 2020 13:29

From Despair To Where? Can't imagine Adam's wages are that high considering the other team in for him were Blackpool.

I wouldn't mind Adam staying principally as a coach, he seems to be intelligent, well respected and a good role model.

Not sure that’s a widely held view....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2020 19:13

Nameless
From Despair To Where? Can't imagine Adam's wages are that high considering the other team in for him were Blackpool.

He definitely comes cross as intelligent any time Ive heard him... was a hell of a shock the first time.

He's clearly very well respected at Blackpool. To still be putting in good performances at 34 and saying the right things, suggests he has at least some of the qualities of a role model, whether those are maintained back stage as it were or not.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jun 2020 21:19

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

He definitely comes cross as intelligent any time Ive heard him... was a hell of a shock the first time.

He's clearly very well respected at Blackpool. To still be putting in good performances at 34 and saying the right things, suggests he has at least some of the qualities of a role model, whether those are maintained back stage as it were or not.

You are right, the squad would love to have him in a coaching role. It will be a tragedy if he is not given a key role.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jun 2020 08:01

Reading supporters obsessing about a former player again.........

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jun 2020 08:20

Old Man Andrews Reading supporters obsessing about a former player again.........

He’s a current player....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jun 2020 08:23

Nameless
Old Man Andrews Reading supporters obsessing about a former player again.........

Lewis Baker is not a current Reading player.............. :roll:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jun 2020 08:26

Old Man Andrews
Nameless

You were following a longish discussion about Charlie Adam though....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jun 2020 08:27

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless

In which is was being discussed if Baker would be a good replacement for him.

Keep up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jun 2020 08:33

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews Lewis Baker is not a current Reading player.............. :roll:

In which is was being discussed if Baker would be a good replacement for him.

Keep up.

Keep up ? I think you are the one a page or so behind !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2020 12:08

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

You are right, the squad would love to have him in a coaching role. It will be a tragedy if he is not given a key role.

:| That's not what I said is it. :roll:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jun 2020 12:34

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal He definitely comes cross as intelligent any time Ive heard him... was a hell of a shock the first time.

I was moving the conversation along.
You think he’s coaching material. He may be, I agree he seems articulate, passionate and knowledgeable.
My point was there may be reasons that those qualities may not be best utilised as a coach with us. On the other hand if he stepped out from the dressing room it may completely change the dynamic and work. You don’t need to like a coach for them to be able to teach you stuff.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jun 2020 11:37

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

You think he’s coaching material. He may be, I agree he seems articulate, passionate and knowledgeable.
My point was there may be reasons that those qualities may not be best utilised as a coach with us. On the other hand if he stepped out from the dressing room it may completely change the dynamic and work. You don’t need to like a coach for them to be able to teach you stuff.

Different point but some criticised the decision to bring in O'Shea as a coach given his supposed "poor" stint as a player here

Yet excluding the top 6, other than Millwall, we have the best defensive record in the league. Obviously, measuring the extent to which O'Shea's experience and influence has helped is difficult but nonetheless the point still remains

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jun 2020 12:07

URZZZZ
Nameless
Snowflake Royal :| That's not what I said is it. :roll:

Different point but some criticised the decision to bring in O'Shea as a coach given his supposed "poor" stint as a player here

Yet excluding the top 6, other than Millwall, we have the best defensive record in the league. Obviously, measuring the extent to which O'Shea's experience and influence has helped is difficult but nonetheless the point still remains

Yep, hard to know his influence and what is more Bowen etc. Also doesn't mean he was worth signing as a player, but you certainly can't point to him being a problem as a coach.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2020 12:11

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Are you suggesting that some of the playing squad have an issue with Adam?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Jun 2020 08:51

Nameless

Surely we would have to know what Charlie Adam's IQ is to resolve this issue. IQ isn't always a great indicator but probably OK for this exercise.

If the club could release information about his IQ we would then be able to compare it to the average IQ of a footballer and perhaps a cross section of our own supporters. It's the only way I can see to move this debate forward really.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 16 Jun 2020 14:03

we could do it on like an IQ scale across all clubs like who is the thickest footballer. Ie can he tie his own laces and does his wife have to make sure his underwear is on the right way round to he studied English literature at a Masters level in his spare time. would be interesting whether this has a bearing on which position they play. I think it would be remarkable who is at either end. I was trying to think of an example of a thick one and a bright one in our squad but I cant really think of anyone that warrants the thick end. I reckon Obita would be quite high on the IQ list though always presents himself well and comes across very bright.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jun 2020 12:21

linkenholtroyal can he tie his own laces and does his wife have to make sure his underwear is on the right way round to he studied English literature at a Masters level in his spare time.

Insert joke about English literature students.