Rumour - Olise to Leeds

127 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Olise to Leeds

by Maneki Neko » 05 Aug 2020 10:15

Snowflake Royal Big fan of Olise, think he could have a big future.

But if someone offers us £5m+ for a teenager who probably won't play more than a (substantial) bit part next season, I think I'd take it with sadness.

The club comes first.

Think it would be a poor move for him though.

i think he could be a first team regular next season. if bowens words are to believed about the direction we are going in

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Aug 2020 10:17

I would hope selling Swift and Moore would be the priority allowing us to keep Olise. Moore’s wages are a massive burden. We need to offload him. I really want us to keep hold of Olise especially if Swift goes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 11:00

Zip I would hope selling Swift and Moore would be the priority allowing us to keep Olise. Moore’s wages are a massive burden. We need to offload him. I really want us to keep hold of Olise especially if Swift goes.

Starting to worry a bit for Moore tbh. He'll be tough to shift as it is, and seems the fanbase is starting to turn against him and his pay packet from whats on here.

I'd certainly think it best for all parties if he did move on

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Aug 2020 11:03

Hound
Zip I would hope selling Swift and Moore would be the priority allowing us to keep Olise. Moore’s wages are a massive burden. We need to offload him. I really want us to keep hold of Olise especially if Swift goes.

Starting to worry a bit for Moore tbh. He'll be tough to shift as it is, and seems the fanbase is starting to turn against him and his pay packet from whats on here.

He’s been a cracking player for us but is someone we can replace without too much of a problem. Given the financial mess we are in he is someone we have to move on.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 11:08

Zip
Hound

He’s been a cracking player for us but is someone we can replace without too much of a problem. Given the financial mess we are in he is someone we have to move on.

Given wages, I'd entertain pretty low bids for Moore. Even as low as £1.5m or so

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 11:13

tough isnt it. If he is on about 1.5-2m a year for the next 3 years, we are basically spending say 5m on a decent proven champ defender for 3 years.

Thats not a bad deal really - and if we did sign a replacement, thats also going to cost.

The main thing for me is he just wasn't very good at the back end of last year. If he sorts his form out, a lot of the chatter probably goes away

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 Aug 2020 11:15

Zip
Hound

Thing is, if we think we can fairly easily replace him, and save a fortune on wages, why would anyone want to sign him?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 11:20

Simon's Church
Zip
Hound

Thing is, if we think we can fairly easily replace him, and save a fortune on wages, why would anyone want to sign him?

nail on head there. Esp when he played crap last year overall

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 11:25

Maybe hold out for a better £4m fee or so and agree to sub his wages £15k p/w over the next 2 years until his deal expires; clubs do this.

His form hasn't been as good for the past 2 years, but he is still a good defender at this level with the potential to return to his form of his first couple of years here, not to mention his promotion with Leicester. I'd consider him a shrewd addition for teams on the edge of the promotion mix like Cardiff, Forest and Preston.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Aug 2020 12:09

Simon's Church
Zip
Hound

Which is why we will struggle to shift him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 12:11

With regards to Moore, in the current situation we're very unlikely to move him on, someone might think they could recapture his best form but are they going to spend the money the club are likely to hold out for?

The only solution really is to play him and hope he re-discovers the form that saw Brighton supposedly offer £10m for him but with only a year left on his contract we might only get a few million even if he does hit a purple patch before the January window. Better than nothing though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2020 12:23

The idea that we should play Moore so we can sell him seems odd. We should play him if he is our best defender. If Morrison / McIntyre is our pairing for next season then dropping McIntyre so Moore can move on would probably see McIntyre go, at least on loan. That would mean we couldn’t sell Moore....
Tricky conundrum

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 12:33

It is a difficult situation, it is the idea of getting him in the shop window and maybe getting something for him before his contract expires next summer, where he'll either take a massive paycut or some club will take a punt on him for nothing, I know which is more likely.

I get that we shouldn't play him for the hell of it but I also genuinely think he is our best defender but is horribly out of form so hopefully he can come back next season near what he is capable of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 12:36

No one is going to suddenly decide to buy Liam Moore because we play him in a few more games and does well.

He's been here years. Everyone who might be interested knows what he can do already.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 12:44

I don't disagree, I think we're in the situation where he will go for nothing in a year. Absolutely dreadful move by the club all round on how they have handled Moore's transfer/contract situation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 12:54

tidus_mi2 I don't disagree, I think we're in the situation where he will go for nothing in a year. Absolutely dreadful move by the club all round on how they have handled Moore's transfer/contract situation.

he has 3 years left on his contract. if he was in his final year then it'd be good news

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 13:01

Hound
tidus_mi2 I don't disagree, I think we're in the situation where he will go for nothing in a year. Absolutely dreadful move by the club all round on how they have handled Moore's transfer/contract situation.

he has 3 years left on his contract. if he was in his final year then it'd be good news

Oh wow, yeah he's contracted until 2023, what a horrible decision by the club on that one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 13:02

Hound

Going for nothing now would be ok news given how out of kilter his wages are.

Imagine being Morrison or McIntyre and knowing Moore's on about twice your wage and playing no better

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Aug 2020 13:18

Hound

Liam Moore signed in August 2016 for 4 years and then there was a load of talk about him going to Brighton for silly money in August 2017 so the club gave him a new 4 year deal on bigger wages (which meant that 20/21 would be his final year). Has he signed another deal/extension since 2017? If he is signed to 2023 (he’ll be 30 by then) then his career is well and truly stuck unless Reading do get promoted or he hits consistent outstanding form leading to a move away.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 14:54

The Brighton move was much more recently than 2017 surely!

Wasn't it the summer before last, so 2018, which would mean his contract runs through the next two seasons?

127 posts