by morganb » 31 Aug 2020 10:35

Story currently doing the rounds on Twitter and this is where it originated

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... al-striker

Thoughts?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Meite to Sheffield United

by Hendo » 31 Aug 2020 10:41

Not the most gifted footballer but works very hard for the team and you can see he is trying to improve all the time. Can not argue against his goals, especially last season, and he has scored some important ones over the last couple of years.

Would be sad to see him go, tbh. But if Sheffield United want to part with £7m+ then I think it would be a fair deal for all parties.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 10:52

Yakou Meite in the premier league :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2020 10:53

Hendo Not the most gifted footballer but works very hard for the team and you can see he is trying to improve all the time. Can not argue against his goals, especially last season, and he has scored some important ones over the last couple of years.

Would be sad to see him go, tbh. But if Sheffield United want to part with £7m+ then I think it would be a fair deal for all parties.

Agree with that. He is improving all the time. Would prefer if he stayed but it would be a very good deal if we got £7 million for him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Aug 2020 11:00

Happy to sell IF the money is invested wisely. Ideally on a very good winger.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2020 11:03

2 years left on his deal so going nowhere this window unless we get a silly bid - think you are looking at 10m+ before we would even consider it.

If we are going 3-5-1-1 or 3-5-2 this seaon, there is absolutely a question about where he fits in to that and if we can get 10m for him then it does give us a bit more flexibilty in the market even before we splash any of the owners cash.

Tell Sheff Utd - 20m and you can have Meite and Swift - we can work out who cost what later.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Aug 2020 11:06

I reckon a move to work u dear Chris Wilder would be ideal for Meite. He has bags of passion and energy so could see Wilder coaching him up to his max potential.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2020 11:09

NewCorkSeth I reckon a move to work u dear Chris Wilder would be ideal for Meite. He has bags of passion and energy so could see Wilder coaching him up to his max potential.

Honestly, for the right sum of money - this feels like a good deal for all at probably the right time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Aug 2020 11:11

Stranded
NewCorkSeth I reckon a move to work u dear Chris Wilder would be ideal for Meite. He has bags of passion and energy so could see Wilder coaching him up to his max potential.

Honestly, for the right sum of money - this feels like a good deal for all at probably the right time.

Yeah that seems true on all counts. I love the guy but 7 million seems very fair and it would be fantastic for his career, potential to replace McGoldrick long term too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 31 Aug 2020 11:22

NewCorkSeth
Stranded

Yeah that seems true on all counts. I love the guy but 7 million seems very fair and it would be fantastic for his career, potential to replace McGoldrick long term too.

Like the guy, like his song, love his attitude and would be really sorry to see him go
In normal circumstances I’d say we would have to take an offer of £7m, but if we are apparently not worried about FFP, perhaps we will hold on to him

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Aug 2020 11:51

Don’t really want to see Meite go as he’s been a reliable source of goals...and is improving.

As alluded to already he suits a 4-3-3, and it doesn’t sound like we’ll be playing that going forwards, so if we could get say £8m, it would be good business.

But as already mentioned by Eddie, Dai is a big fan so he won’t be going anywhere!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2020 12:35

Zip
Hendo Not the most gifted footballer but works very hard for the team and you can see he is trying to improve all the time. Can not argue against his goals, especially last season, and he has scored some important ones over the last couple of years.

Agree with that. He is improving all the time. Would prefer if he stayed but it would be a very good deal if we got £7 million for him.

I love Meite, but he's not PL ready. I can see an argument for letting him go if we're not going to use wide men (except the wing backs) but with Bowen gone who oxf*rd knows.

@ £7m I don't think we have a choice. But then I thought that about Moore, Loader and Swift. If Dai doesn't block this given his previous it really is baffling. Meite's actually delivered two seasons running unlike the others.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2020 12:41

Snowflake Royal
Zip

I love Meite, but he's not PL ready. I can see an argument for letting him go if we're not going to use wide men (except the wing backs) but with Bowen gone who oxf*rd knows.

@ £7m I don't think we have a choice. But then I thought that about Moore, Loader and Swift. If Dai doesn't block this given his previous it really is baffling. Meite's actually delivered two seasons running unlike the others.

Has Bowen gone ?
I would have thought he's probably got more influence on transfers as DofF than he did as manager.
Whether Meite is ready for the PL is surely not relevant. If a PL thinks he is then I'll go with their judgement...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2020 12:55

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Has Bowen gone ?
I would have thought he's probably got more influence on transfers as DofF than he did as manager.
Whether Meite is ready for the PL is surely not relevant. If a PL thinks he is then I'll go with their judgement...

Well he's not manager, and it's the manager who picks the team, coaches the side and decides on shape.

And no one knows if he's dof, nothing's been announced unless I missed something in the last day.

As for judgement, I'm not going to abandon mine having seen lots of the player, because of a rumour someone who has seen less of him might be interested in signing him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Aug 2020 13:11

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal I love Meite, but he's not PL ready. I can see an argument for letting him go if we're not going to use wide men (except the wing backs) but with Bowen gone who oxf*rd knows.

Has Bowen gone ?

Well he's not manager, and it's the manager who picks the team, coaches the side and decides on shape.

And no one knows if he's dof, nothing's been announced unless I missed something in the last day.

As for judgement, I'm not going to abandon mine having seen lots of the player, because of a rumour someone who has seen less of him might be interested in signing him.

I reckon our opinions of him are a bit tarnished by how he has been played. Not that I am trying to disparage him. He has been a top player for us despite his weaknesses.

In a team like Sheffield United I imagine he would play the McGoldrick role, a support striker who tracks back to defend rather than solely there score goals. We haven't played him that way and he could excel at that with his strength and aerial ability. His hold up play is a bit weak but Wilder is excellent at making a team better than the sum of its parts.

I can certainly see why they are interested. He is a young, powerful forward, with excellent work ethic and has plenty of experience now in English football. All that and he could be a decent price for a style of player they clearly want.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1