Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

308 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 14:40

WestYorksRoyal
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews It is comparable in terms of everyone getting overly excited and then it turning to shit which was my point. Nobody mentioned fees or how long he is signed for. :roll: :roll:

Tbf I don't think many people were actually excited when we signed Aluko.

I remember thinking he was an improvement on our options, but was also confused as we desperately needed a centre forward and blew our budget on a position we were already well stocked in.

Riquelme is more exciting as he offers width we're desperately missing. There was a clear need for a player in his role.

But OMA's point stands I suppose; he could struggle to adapt. Or it could be similar to when Wolves got Diogo Jota.

Agree with this, especially the bit in bold.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 14:47

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews Oh they were! Rightfully so in his case because you had the fee that went along with it, I think the excitement came from us actually spending money.

Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

A bit of yes and no on that one, I think.

Most recognised that he was a good player whilst at Fulham, but did think the transfer was on the expensive side.

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137576&hilit=Aluko

God I miss dave.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:53

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

Most recognised that he was a good player whilst at Fulham, but did think the transfer was on the expensive side.

God I miss dave.

You love him?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 15:01

Old Man Andrews
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

God I miss dave.

You love him?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2020 13:30

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews Oh they were! Rightfully so in his case because you had the fee that went along with it, I think the excitement came from us actually spending money.

Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

From the above thread

urz13 8 goals and 12 assists last season and would come from a team playing a similar style to ours. I'd be happy with this - can't really see any of our wingers contributing those sorts of numbers (McCleary seems a little injury prone so not sure if he'll be as effective this year). If we could get him for £4m or under it would be superb.

Out of interest has Sone Aluko actually managed to reach or surpass that number of goals and/or assists for Reading across the 3 and a bit years he’s been at the club?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Sep 2020 15:04

Sutekh
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

From the above thread

urz13 8 goals and 12 assists last season and would come from a team playing a similar style to ours. I'd be happy with this - can't really see any of our wingers contributing those sorts of numbers (McCleary seems a little injury prone so not sure if he'll be as effective this year). If we could get him for £4m or under it would be superb.

Out of interest has Sone Aluko actually managed to reach or surpass that number of goals and/or assists for Reading across the 3 and a bit years he’s been at the club?

From what I can determine from whoscored.com
4 goals, 5 assist for Reading, 3 goals 1 assist for Beijing Renhe.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2020 22:07

I'd assumed this announcement was being held back for a double announcement with Gibson. Now I'm just confused

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2020 05:39

WestYorksRoyal I'd assumed this announcement was being held back for a double announcement with Gibson. Now I'm just confused

I would imagine there may be a delay with international clearance

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2020 06:50

WestYorksRoyal I'd assumed this announcement was being held back for a double announcement with Gibson. Now I'm just confused

Have we actually held back an announcement to do a double one much, if at all, in the past or was that just the wishful thinking it seemed to be to me at the time?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Sep 2020 08:22

Would think they'd want to make a bigger deal about Riquelme. May be why they rushed through the Gibson announcement last night, so today can be all about Riquelme.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2020 08:30

:lol:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2020 08:36

Perhaps because the key to the Riquelme deal has been him sorting out his Athletico contract he has actually been back in Spain and they will announce his deal once he is back here ?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 Sep 2020 10:52

Twitter Eddie reckons Pauno and Riquelme spotted in the cafe at the hotel this morning but he isn’t sure what’s holding the move up.

Courtney Friday then reporting it 2 mins later :lol:

Could be any number of reasons for the hold up. I’m sure they’ll announce it as soon as it’s concrete. They won’t be waiting simply to make a load of noise about it

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Sep 2020 12:40

Snowflake Royal

Have we actually held back an announcement to do a double one much, if at all, in the past or was that just the wishful thinking it seemed to be to me at the time?

Last one I can think of is McShane and Quinn.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2020 07:21

So bored of this transfer now, seems to have dragged on for eternity.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Sep 2020 07:31

Ejaria’s transfer took about two years

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Sep 2020 09:05

Old Man Andrews So bored of this transfer now, seems to have dragged on for eternity.

Made worse by the constant tweets about him and how the club need to announce him.

In reality transfers probably take a really long time to complete, but we just don't know about them as early as we knew about this one. i.e. with him being on trial when VP joined, etc..

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2020 09:09

Hendo
Old Man Andrews So bored of this transfer now, seems to have dragged on for eternity.

Made worse by the constant tweets about him and how the club need to announce him.

The same people doing that will be the ones hammering after 2 games if he hasn't scored 8 goals and single handedly won us games. The way it always goes.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Sep 2020 09:15

Hendo

In reality transfers probably take a really long time to complete, but we just don't know about them as early as we knew about this one. i.e. with him being on trial when VP joined, etc..

Wouldn't surprise me if this just comes down to the league needing to authorise the deal. Just seen on Twitter that the Semedo deal is essentially done and waiting on the league to authorise it but if it takes much longer he may well go to a club in France instead.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Sep 2020 09:20

Stranded
Hendo

Wouldn't surprise me if this just comes down to the league needing to authorise the deal. Just seen on Twitter that the Semedo deal is essentially done and waiting on the league to authorise it but if it takes much longer he may well go to a club in France instead.

I miss the days when we didn't know about a signing until it was announced. Morrison has been the only out of the blue signing I can think of in recent years.

308 posts