RUMOUR: Rafael

Old Man Andrews

Re: RUMOUR: Rafael

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 12:41

JimmytheJim
SCIAG
JimmytheJim Nuts if we fight to keep swift, who we don't need, but let Rafael go.

All the commenters saying he's not indispensable have short memories. When was the last time we had a decent keeper on a permanent contract?

And what does it matter what we paid for him? Doesn't impact his transfer value one iota. To sell him for anything less than a shit load of money would be a travesty.

Swift is our only creative player who has a strong track record at this level. Meite is a good goalscorer but doesn’t create much. Ejaria and Olise are a long way behind him and each created less than half as many chances per 90 as him last season. Holsgrove is only proven at third tier level, and we might be selling him anyway.

Contrastingly we have a battery of solid young goalkeepers, and in Southwood’s case one who has proven himself at a similar level.

A handful of games in the SPL is proving yourself now?

We have two other highly-rated players who play in Swift's positions. On the other hand, we have had a recurring nightmare in the GK position for years. You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

He played a full season in the National League and received rave reviews.

Marcus Hahnemann
Alex McCarthy
Adam Federici
Ali Al-Habsi
Emi Martinez
Rafael

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2020 12:43

Presumably the owners will just say no.

Wouldn't really value him higher than about £2m, but would be pleased to see Southwood get a chance..

He'd be a loss, but as long as we don't splash out on a big replacement could also open a path for CBC. Not the end of the world, prefer him to stay.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2020 12:46

yuomi
SCIAG
linkenholtroyal 3-4 million, sign a older back up and give Southwood a chance. I still don't trust Walker and would prefer an experienced back up if things don't go well with Southwood. A Jordan Archer, or David Stockdale ilk player.

Either that or sign Luca Zidane it would at least sell more season tickets to the ladies. as my wife puts it 'he is a dream'

We’ve already got an experienced back up, his name is Sam Walker :wink:

In for signing Luca Zidane for the memes. Just need to get Pele back.

Rafael has been a solid if unspectacular keeper for us. I’d be a little surprised if any bigger clubs wanted to make him first choice. Given that we have a strong alternative, I’d not be disappointed with £1m, but agree with the consensus that £4m is probably closer to a fair fee.

Looking at it, I can't think of a club besides Fulham or West Brom where he'd have a chance of starting.

Cynic in me wonders, after Blackett's comments yesterday, if this could be his agent looking for an escape route.

What has Blackett said?

yuomi

by yuomi » 09 Sep 2020 12:50

Snowflake Royal
yuomi
SCIAG We’ve already got an experienced back up, his name is Sam Walker :wink:

Rafael has been a solid if unspectacular keeper for us. I’d be a little surprised if any bigger clubs wanted to make him first choice. Given that we have a strong alternative, I’d not be disappointed with £1m, but agree with the consensus that £4m is probably closer to a fair fee.

Looking at it, I can't think of a club besides Fulham or West Brom where he'd have a chance of starting.

Cynic in me wonders, after Blackett's comments yesterday, if this could be his agent looking for an escape route.

What has Blackett said?

The former Manchester United defender says one of the attractions of his new club was that everyone is working together on the same 'project' which is to help get the club promoted to the Premier League.

"When I heard the club [Forest] were interested in me it was a no-brainer really," he said.

"I was at Reading for four years so to come to a club like Forest is a privilege and an honour for me in terms of the history of the club and the way in which the club is progressing.

"The club had been trying to sign me for the past two years. I believe it came close last season but it didn't happen.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me."

Asked to elaborate on the Forest 'project', he added: "For me it's a focus.

"Everyone has the same focus which is trying to achieve promotion.

"When you have a team - and by that I mean staff and everyone working at the club - working towards that it makes it a great thing.

"It makes it [promotion] even more possible."

getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tyler-blackett-opens-up-reading-18893957

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Sep 2020 12:51

yuomi
Snowflake Royal
yuomi

What has Blackett said?

The former Manchester United defender says one of the attractions of his new club was that everyone is working together on the same 'project' which is to help get the club promoted to the Premier League.

"When I heard the club [Forest] were interested in me it was a no-brainer really," he said.

"I was at Reading for four years so to come to a club like Forest is a privilege and an honour for me in terms of the history of the club and the way in which the club is progressing.

"The club had been trying to sign me for the past two years. I believe it came close last season but it didn't happen.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me."

"When you have a team - and by that I mean staff and everyone working at the club - working towards that it makes it a great thing.

getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tyler-blackett-opens-up-reading-18893957

So he said absolutely nothing then?

yuomi

by yuomi » 09 Sep 2020 12:56

Old Man Andrews
yuomi
Snowflake Royal What has Blackett said?

Him saying Nottingham Forest 'working together' to get to the PL implies that wasn't what he experienced at Reading.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me." <-- this means he (thinks he) hasn't been involved in a 'project' like that before, OMA.

This is a (not very subtle) diss at Reading IMO.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Sep 2020 13:00

I think an interesting reference point is the £4m West Ham paid to Middlesborough in January for Darron Randolph. Feels about right to me for Rafael as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 13:05

yuomi
Old Man Andrews
yuomi

Him saying Nottingham Forest 'working together' to get to the PL implies that wasn't what he experienced at Reading.

"I've always wanted to be involved in such a project in terms of achieving promotion and getting to the Premier League [so] it was a no brainer when they came back in for me." <-- this means he (thinks he) hasn't been involved in a 'project' like that before, OMA.

This is a (not very subtle) diss at Reading IMO.

It sounds more like every interview a footballer gives when joining a new club - like the ambition, want to work with the manager etc etc.
I wonder who has been working to stop us getting promoted during Tyler’s 4 years (perhaps he blames those who missed the penalties at Wembley!)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Sep 2020 13:15

Nameless I doubt being number 1 would be a big deal for Rafael. He’d get a big bike in wages and forever be able to refer to himself as Premier League player.
Hard to see us letting him go cheap and I suspect there are loads of clubs who make vague enquiries about players without actually going on to do anything more.

Would he be happy to move if the only thing he earns over and above Reading is having a large bicycle?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Sep 2020 13:18

I think it would be a shame if he just went to a lower tier PL club as number 2/3 - that would be a waste of his undoubted talent.

But on the other hand if he wanted a shot at PL you could not begrudge that - but I think at least 5M would be order of the day - even in the current climate. Any less and I don't think the owners will consider it - unless of course we do think Southwood is a sure bet and is at least as good.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Sep 2020 13:32

The Chronic actually says Rafael is in talks with Premier League clubs so, if true, that may indicate that Rafael has one of those release clauses in his contract?

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... eading-fc/

I would hope that any figure is a £4/5m minimum as a) he is the club’s first choice keeper, b) he still has 2 years of his deal to run and c) was player of the season last year and I believe made several Championship teams of the season

Add to that the fact that the season starts on Saturday and Walker already appears to have been sidelined (didn’t even make the bench v Colchester) so the club will need to find an decent experienced replacement from somewhere quickly unless it’s agreed that any move won’t be finalised until a replacement is found.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 09 Sep 2020 13:36

He's a good solid keeper but wouldn't be too upset to see him leave, I'd be willing to bet there are plenty around of a similar standard available for less than we'd get for him. Maybe even give Southwooda run.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 Sep 2020 13:54

SCIAG
linkenholtroyal 3-4 million, sign a older back up and give Southwood a chance. I still don't trust Walker and would prefer an experienced back up if things don't go well with Southwood. A Jordan Archer, or David Stockdale ilk player.

Either that or sign Luca Zidane it would at least sell more season tickets to the ladies. as my wife puts it 'he is a dream'

We’ve already got an experienced back up, his name is Sam Walker :wink:

Certainly wouldn't be for his goalkeeping.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Sep 2020 13:57

It'd be a shame and a loss if Rafael was sold and I wouldn't feel comfortable going until January with an unproven but promising Southwood and the youngsters as GK options, assuming Sam Walker leaves too.

Rafael is a good keeper and didn't make many mistakes at all, he's not the most amazing shot stopper we've had but he is a reliable keeper and didn't cost any goals of memory through errors. £4M as a fee is probably about right. People who'd sell him for £1M are nuts for an important player. Not going to be able to bring anyone in for that fee. Glad we have better negotiators at the club!

I'd be behind giving Southwood a chance to see if he's good enough to be our number 1. If Rafael is talking to other clubs I'd actually put Southwood in goal v Derby and If he turns out to be another Joao Virginia then we have time in the transfer window to rectify and bring in a good replacement for Rafael, if Southwood does well then we have a solid potential number 1 and get a solid championship keeper as a number 2 (assuming Rafael does move on).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 14:18

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless I doubt being number 1 would be a big deal for Rafael. He’d get a big bike in wages and forever be able to refer to himself as Premier League player.
Hard to see us letting him go cheap and I suspect there are loads of clubs who make vague enquiries about players without actually going on to do anything more.

Would he be happy to move if the only thing he earns over and above Reading is having a large bicycle?

I think it’s a factor for many players these days....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 14:24

Royal_jimmy It'd be a shame and a loss if Rafael was sold and I wouldn't feel comfortable going until January with an unproven but promising Southwood and the youngsters as GK options, assuming Sam Walker leaves too.

Rafael is a good keeper and didn't make many mistakes at all, he's not the most amazing shot stopper we've had but he is a reliable keeper and didn't cost any goals of memory through errors. £4M as a fee is probably about right. People who'd sell him for £1M are nuts for an important player. Not going to be able to bring anyone in for that fee. Glad we have better negotiators at the club!

I'd be behind giving Southwood a chance to see if he's good enough to be our number 1. If Rafael is talking to other clubs I'd actually put Southwood in goal v Derby and If he turns out to be another Joao Virginia then we have time in the transfer window to rectify and bring in a good replacement for Rafael, if Southwood does well then we have a solid potential number 1 and get a solid championship keeper as a number 2 (assuming Rafael does move on).

You talk as if no one has ever seen Southwood play !
He’s a very good keeper. Very athletic, good with the ball at his feet. Biggest negative is he’s not that big for a modern keeper.
There is loads of time available in the transfer window ...

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 09 Sep 2020 14:58

Nameless
Royal_jimmy It'd be a shame and a loss if Rafael was sold and I wouldn't feel comfortable going until January with an unproven but promising Southwood and the youngsters as GK options, assuming Sam Walker leaves too.

He’s a very good keeper. Very athletic, good with the ball at his feet. Biggest negative is he’s not that big for a modern keeper.

Can't be much smaller than Rafael is he? He's slighter for sure but he's played enough games for it to hopefully not be an issue. Its nothing like Virginia playing his first games in senior football for us.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Sep 2020 15:11

Simon's Church
Nameless

Can't be much smaller than Rafael is he? He's slighter for sure but he's played enough games for it to hopefully not be an issue. Its nothing like Virginia playing his first games in senior football for us.

I think he’s slightly shorter than Rafael but you are right, not by much. He’s definitely different to many keepers around these days, but having watched him a fair bit in his Academy days his athleticism makes up for a slight lack of physical presence. Wnether he’d cope with an old fashioned centre back sticking one on him at a corner I’m not sure, He’d probably be nimble enough to sidestep and leave the old relic in a heap !
I’d certainly take Southwood’s ability over Walker’s height...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Sep 2020 15:15

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 09 Sep 2020 15:40

Old Man Andrews
JimmytheJim
SCIAG Swift is our only creative player who has a strong track record at this level. Meite is a good goalscorer but doesn’t create much. Ejaria and Olise are a long way behind him and each created less than half as many chances per 90 as him last season. Holsgrove is only proven at third tier level, and we might be selling him anyway.

Contrastingly we have a battery of solid young goalkeepers, and in Southwood’s case one who has proven himself at a similar level.

A handful of games in the SPL is proving yourself now?

We have two other highly-rated players who play in Swift's positions. On the other hand, we have had a recurring nightmare in the GK position for years. You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

He played a full season in the National League and received rave reviews.

Marcus Hahnemann
Alex McCarthy
Adam Federici
Ali Al-Habsi
Emi Martinez
Rafael

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right mate. We didn't spend two years with utter dross in between the sticks, shipping rubbish goals week after week. That was all in my head. You've proven me wrong by citing a short term loan and a bunch of keepers from up to 15 years ago.