The 4 needed in January

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The 4 needed in January

by windermereROYAL » 15 Dec 2020 19:10

Hendo
John Smith We need a new goalkeeper and urgently! The rest can wait.

Why?

a) there isn't anything wrong with Rafael, he is a fine 'keeper for this level
b) if we did want to bin off Rafael, Southwood should be given a shot before we get a new 'keeper in
c) it could be worse, we could have that clown Samba that Forest have

Don`t worry, anybody that names themselves after that piss poor beer can`t be taken seriously. I like bitter but can`t stand that stuff.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Dec 2020 19:41

windermereROYAL
Hendo

Why?

b) if we did want to bin off Rafael, Southwood should be given a shot before we get a new 'keeper in

Don`t worry, anybody that names themselves after that piss poor beer can`t be taken seriously. I like bitter but can`t stand that stuff.

Unless his name is actually John Smith and it is a double Bluff, I do know 2 John Smiths myself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Dec 2020 19:55

skipper How is Daniel Sturridge a free transfer?

I mean... at 31, he could probably do a job in the Chump... and must be looking for a place to play... surely he'd come for a relatively small pay packet? (Compared to what he's normally on)

I can't imagine anything we need less than an aged Premier League starlet made of papier mache and with a huge ego

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Dec 2020 21:38

Snowflake Royal

I mean... at 31, he could probably do a job in the Chump... and must be looking for a place to play... surely he'd come for a relatively small pay packet? (Compared to what he's normally on)

I can't imagine anything we need less than an aged Premier League starlet made of papier mache and with a huge ego

Like Jason roberts?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Dec 2020 22:28

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Like Jason roberts?

None of those really describe Roberts when we signed him.

But no, at this point I don't think paying through the nose for two and a half years for a guy who will give us about 8 months service is worth it either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2020 11:29

noticed Glenn Murray likely to be recalled from loan as he isnt getting playing time with Watford. Might be an option as Joao back up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Dec 2020 12:29

Hound noticed Glenn Murray likely to be recalled from loan as he isnt getting playing time with Watford. Might be an option as Joao back up

No thank you, the bloke can hardly move anymore

May as well persuade Yann to come out of retirement :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2020 16:18

John Smith
Hendo

Why?

There’s a lot wrong with Rafael, he’s poor and was totally at fault for our defeats vs. Coventry and Birmingham.

Southwood could be given a chance but we can do better with a proven keeper.

Really? So you're an expert?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Dec 2020 16:28

leon
John Smith
Hendo
Why?

There’s a lot wrong with Rafael, he’s poor and was totally at fault for our defeats vs. Coventry and Birmingham.

heh

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Dec 2020 16:44

Hound noticed Glenn Murray likely to be recalled from loan as he isnt getting playing time with Watford. Might be an option as Joao back up

A really good shout Hound.
I can't see him getting game time at Brighton but could come straight in so that Joao , with his injury record, isn't rushed back.
If Meite remains unfit as well we could go with the old Brighton front two of Glenn and Baldock which might bring the best out of the latter.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Dec 2020 18:00

leon
John Smith
Hendo
Why?

No. You?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2020 19:22

John Smith
leon
John Smith There’s a lot wrong with Rafael, he’s poor and was totally at fault for our defeats vs. Coventry and Birmingham.

No. You?

....OK

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Dec 2020 11:17

South Coast Royal

I can't see him getting game time at Brighton but could come straight in so that Joao , with his injury record, isn't rushed back.
If Meite remains unfit as well we could go with the old Brighton front two of Glenn and Baldock which might bring the best out of the latter.

Having thought a bit more about Murray I am even more convinced that he would be an asset.
If we were to sign somebody like Pigott he would cost quite a bit and probably wouldn't buy into the idea of being a squad player when Joao and Meite are fit.

Murray however is possibly in his last or penultimate season at this level so, having been here before albeit under different staff,he might look on a move as a chance to play immediately , somewhere still in the South and pocket a decent wedge for a short term contract.

Incidentally I wasn't sure where to post this but it concerns the problem area of right-back.
With Yiadom now very injury prone, Esteves not ready and Holmes limited in that position I am keen on Rino moving there.

With Swift supposedly soon ready to play I would want a midfield of Olise, Swift, Ejaria and one of Rino and Laurent.
Semedo will also still be around to compete and of course Aluko (no comment).
So with greater competition in midfield once Swift returns Rino and the coach might think of moving him to the problem right-back position.

From a midfield perspective it looks as though Olise, Ejaria and Laurent might now be considered as first choices so Rino then competes with Swift.
So what is lost and what is gained?

Swift is more creative and scores goals.
Rino is better defensively.
Do we actually need two out and out defensive midfielders in Rino and Laurent and/or do we need a bit more creativity and goals from midfield?

So Rino at right-back.
He is quick
He can tackle
He is right-footed
He has played there before, if only as filling in.

I could see him carving out a place there for many years to come, especially as full-backs now contribute much more than just being a defender in a back 4.
If he remains just a midfielder he might find that he will be in and out of the side.

It very much depends upon Swift returning fit and firing and he is a player that the manager will surely want to get back into the starting eleven.

Right-back solved, striker solved now just that winger needed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Dec 2020 11:39

Sure Rino would do a job there but I think we’re on at RB tbh

Make more of an issue of it than there really is. Both Holmes and Esteves are ok there imo

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Dec 2020 12:20

South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal

Having thought a bit more about Murray I am even more convinced that he would be an asset.
If we were to sign somebody like Pigott he would cost quite a bit and probably wouldn't buy into the idea of being a squad player when Joao and Meite are fit.

Murray however is possibly in his last or penultimate season at this level so, having been here before albeit under different staff,he might look on a move as a chance to play immediately , somewhere still in the South and pocket a decent wedge for a short term contract.

Incidentally I wasn't sure where to post this but it concerns the problem area of right-back.
With Yiadom now very injury prone, Esteves not ready and Holmes limited in that position I am keen on Rino moving there.

With Swift supposedly soon ready to play I would want a midfield of Olise, Swift, Ejaria and one of Rino and Laurent.
So with greater competition in midfield once Swift returns Rino and the coach might think of moving him to the problem right-back position.

From a midfield perspective it looks as though Olise, Ejaria and Laurent might now be considered as first choices so Rino then competes with Swift.

Do we actually need two out and out defensive midfielders in Rino and Laurent and/or do we need a bit more creativity and goals from midfield?

So Rino at right-back.
He is quick
He can tackle
He is right-footed

I could see him carving out a place there for many years to come, especially as full-backs now contribute much more than just being a defender in a back 4.
If he remains just a midfielder he might find that he will be in and out of the side.

It very much depends upon Swift returning fit and firing and he is a player that the manager will surely want to get back into the starting eleven.

This all looks pretty and rosy but we tried this sort of tactic last year (minus the Rino at RB) and it simply didn't work

Part of Rino and Laurent's game is driving forward with the ball. They complement each other well - knowing if one goes forward, the other will sit back. However, when you match one of them with a midfield of Swift/Ejaria/Olise, they're not able to do that part of the game as they know with that trio, there's going to be a lack of midfield cover elsewhere

I don't think it's a coincidence that Rino struggled last year in a midfield three of him, Ejaria and Swift, yet when paired with Baker the season before, and Laurent this season, he's played a lot better
Last edited by URZZZZ on 18 Dec 2020 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Dec 2020 12:21

Hound Sure Rino would do a job there but I think we’re on at RB tbh

Make more of an issue of it than there really is. Both Holmes and Esteves are ok there imo

Esteves is abysmal. Like having a little boy there. We need proven Championship quality, not someone who sounds good because he's played for Benfica. Even Scott Minto did that.

I can't believe no one on here is agreeing with me that a new goalkeeper is of the upmost importance. He's a joke! Reminds me of Heurelho Gomes.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Dec 2020 12:25

Hound Sure Rino would do a job there but I think we’re on at RB tbh

Araruna can play there competently aswell and is back training so I think we are covered at RB. LB is more a worry but having utility players seems to be working well.

we have a few utility players accross the park and has made it easier with a smaller squad this year-
Araruna RB or CM
Holmes RB or CB
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko can all play across all 3 positions behind the striker
Semedo CM, AM or even Striker apparently
Lewis Gibson LB or CB
Mcintyre CB, DCM, MC
Meite LAM and CF

having that variety especially in the forward players is part of why we have done so well this year as it is very hard for the opposition to work out who they are marking it is fluid, you cant tell there player mark that player as he may pull them out of position by chopping and changing. its very clever.(when it works).

I know I started thread and used JLows description of the 4 needed but honestly I think if we got someone else to play along the 3 behind the striker with some more width to give another option thrown in with the mix of Meite, Aluko, Olise, Aluko and Swift. a CF for cover and a experienced CB. We really did struggle when one of Morrison and Moore out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2020 12:33

South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal

So Rino at right-back.
He is quick
He can tackle
He is right-footed

You'd have to be bonkers mental to break up the superb partnership of Rino and Laurent to move Rino where he's wasted when we have Holmes developing nicely at RB, just to accommodate Swift in a way that doesn't suit him.

Like the idea of Murray though

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Dec 2020 13:15

Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal

So Rino at right-back.
He is quick
He can tackle
He is right-footed

You'd have to be bonkers mental to break up the superb partnership of Rino and Laurent to move Rino where he's wasted when we have Holmes developing nicely at RB, just to accommodate Swift in a way that doesn't suit him.

Like the idea of Murray though

My thinking started off with how to accommodate Swift,which I think the manager will want to do
If people don't think we should or the manager won't then fair enough.

I still think Rino would improve our right-back options.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Dec 2020 17:47

Think the best way to accommodate Swift is to rotate the front four so that each of Swift, Ejaria, Olise, Meite, and Joao is rested for one game in five. Gives you a potential matchwinner on the bench.

I can see the case for switching Rinomhota and Holmes late on when pushing for a goal. Rino would offer a bit more width and pace while Holmes has more presence and a better passing range. But other than that it makes no sense to weaken the midfield in order to marginally improve at right back.