Olise being sold for £8m?

471 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Olise being sold for £8m?

by Sutekh » 29 Dec 2020 13:09

Nameless
Ascotexgunner On that article from Bowen.....re training
“If he overstepped the mark with it, which he did once or twice, you’d have players like a Liam Moore, who would fly in and leave something on him.”

I really don't wanna hear this when you look at our injury list.

Even funnier was the Jessie Lindgard comparison.

The description of Moore as a ‘hoary old veteran’ is amusing. Might have worked for Morrison but Moore is 27 !

28 next month.

Out of interest when does a player earn “hoary old veteran” status? Is it age, is it the number of games played, does it depend on position at all? For example who is more of a veteran, a 32 year old keeper with 100 appearances or a 25 year old full back with 250 appearances

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2020 13:17

Sutekh
Nameless
Ascotexgunner On that article from Bowen.....re training
“If he overstepped the mark with it, which he did once or twice, you’d have players like a Liam Moore, who would fly in and leave something on him.”

I really don't wanna hear this when you look at our injury list.

Even funnier was the Jessie Lindgard comparison.

The description of Moore as a ‘hoary old veteran’ is amusing. Might have worked for Morrison but Moore is 27 !

28 next month.

Out of interest when does a player earn “hoary old veteran” status? Is it age, is it the number of games played, does it depend on position at all? For example who is more of a veteran, a 32 year old keeper with 100 appearances or a 25 year old full back with 250 appearances

I reckon veterans have to be at least 30....and I don’t think 250 appearances across 10 years qualifies either.
Morrison at 32+ with 600 career appearances is the model I think

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Dec 2020 14:24

LOL, tweet immediately followed by another tweet saying nothing is imminent.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Dec 2020 19:52

Snowflake Royal

LOL, tweet immediately followed by another tweet saying nothing is imminent.

Isn’t that the “Oh shit, shouldn’t have tweeted the first one “ tweet ?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Dec 2020 20:00

Can we amend the title to "a bit more than £8m?"

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 31 Dec 2020 08:03

Do we know if he has both a UK passport and a French one?
Surely that should add some zeros to his value to Liga or Serie A clubs or even Prem clubs who want to trade him on after a few seasons...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 08:17

Linden Jones' Tash Do we know if he has both a UK passport and a French one?
Surely that should add some zeros to his value to Liga or Serie A clubs or even Prem clubs who want to trade him on after a few seasons...

HIs brother plays for England which would suggest he would be eligible for British passport if he doesn’t have one already and there are various references to Michael being eligible to play for France, Nigeria or England

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2020 08:26

Nigerian parents, born in France and raised in England. So can play for all 3

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2020 08:50

If Olise does have a release clause, and I'm far from convinced he does, how would that work?

By all accounts there are numerous clubs after him. I'm guessing they would all trigger the release clause with their bids then it would be up to the player to choose?

But is there any wriggle room for the club in conducting an auction if there are multiple bids?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2020 09:03

Could be a number of options I suppose. Normally you have to accept a bid above the clause so realistically it wouldn’t end up being much more than the minimum

Fair bit of talk about him being loaned back last night. Can certainly see that happening - 10m plus we keep him for the season

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 09:13

Hound Nigerian parents, born in France and raised in England. So can play for all 3

Depends when he came to live in England whether he qualifies by residence. Would need to have lived here since he was 13 I think.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2020 09:32

Hound Nigerian parents, born in France and raised in England. So can play for all 3

To be pedantic, he was born in French Guyana which is a French overseas Department in South America.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 09:40

From Despair To Where?

To be pedantic, born in a French overseas territory. He was born in French Guyana.

To be even more pedantic French Guiana is considered a French department, is in the EU and uses the Euro, kt’s Citizens are full French citizens. It’s like Hawaii is to the US...

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 31 Dec 2020 10:55

Norfolk Royal If Olise does have a release clause, and I'm far from convinced he does, how would that work?

By all accounts there are numerous clubs after him. I'm guessing they would all trigger the release clause with their bids then it would be up to the player to choose?

But is there any wriggle room for the club in conducting an auction if there are multiple bids?

No, in that case the sale price is the release clause and the bidding is in the wages for the player and/or promises to the player of his role in the club. That's what happened with Haaland - I think he had better offers, but went to Dortmund as he saw it as the best step in his progression.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2020 11:11

Nameless
From Despair To Where?

To be pedantic, born in a French overseas territory. He was born in French Guyana.

To be even more pedantic French Guiana is considered a French department, is in the EU and uses the Euro, kt’s Citizens are full French citizens. It’s like Hawaii is to the US...

I know that, it does make him sound a bit more exotic to suggest he's South American though.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 31 Dec 2020 11:15

Royalwaster
Norfolk Royal If Olise does have a release clause, and I'm far from convinced he does, how would that work?

No, in that case the sale price is the release clause and the bidding is in the wages for the player and/or promises to the player of his role in the club. That's what happened with Haaland - I think he had better offers, but went to Dortmund as he saw it as the best step in his progression.

Exactly the above, but a release clause is money up front and cannot be paid in instalments so it would be a £10m lump sum.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2020 11:33

I know Sky were saying last night that they understand there is a release clause but I'm still dubious until proven otherwise.

Have to say I would never have had agreed to a release clause for a young player who had not yet broken into the first team to any effect. Crazy to do so.

Release clauses are more often used for stars like Messi, Neymar, etc, to either scare off suitors or allow them an escape route if so desired are they not?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2020 11:56

Norfolk Royal I know Sky were saying last night that they understand there is a release clause but I'm still dubious until proven otherwise.

Have to say I would never have had agreed to a release clause for a young player who had not yet broken into the first team to any effect. Crazy to do so.

Release clauses are more often used for stars like Messi, Neymar, etc, to either scare off suitors or allow them an escape route if so desired are they not?

Players in the Spanish leagues have to have release clauses so they’re not “used” to do anything. The exact value they’re set at could send various messages, but just having the clause is obligatory.

If Olise’s agent insisted on one then agreeing to it was fairly low-risk. Very little chance that anyone would agree to pay £8m for Olise at the time that we offered him that deal, wouldn’t it be our record outgoing fee? It was much more likely that we ended up releasing him for no fee. If the alternative was him walking away and signing for Brentford or Oxford with a release clause then it was a good decision.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2020 12:11

SCIAG
Norfolk Royal I know Sky were saying last night that they understand there is a release clause but I'm still dubious until proven otherwise.

Players in the Spanish leagues have to have release clauses so they’re not “used” to do anything. The exact value they’re set at could send various messages, but just having the clause is obligatory.

If Olise’s agent insisted on one then agreeing to it was fairly low-risk. Very little chance that anyone would agree to pay £8m for Olise at the time that we offered him that deal, wouldn’t it be our record outgoing fee? It was much more likely that we ended up releasing him for no fee. If the alternative was him walking away and signing for Brentford or Oxford with a release clause then it was a good decision.

Yeah have to remember he was already making waves when he was out of contract last time

I was quite surprised he signed it at the time

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 31 Dec 2020 12:13

SCIAG

Unfortunately that decision, if there is a clause, has been proved spectacularly wrong.

471 posts