Olise being sold for £8m?

471 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Olise being sold for £8m?

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Jul 2021 08:35

I think Olise could do much better than Crystal Palace who I actually think could go down this season. They've got him for a steal at £8m and the club seriously needs to address the transfer policy that's got us into the mess of losing Richards for nothing and Olise on the cheap whilst getting our hands tied with transfer embargos. If we had got the values or Richards and Olise in fees we'd not be in such a mess.

He'll get game time to show how good he is in the premier league. If he does well he'll get a bigger move to a top prem club.

On the positive side at least he's not joining Leeds!
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 07 Jul 2021 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 07 Jul 2021 08:53

Pretty sure people think the Football Club just added the release clause in his contract for the fun of it and it was not something Olise and his agent pushed for before committing to a new contract at Reading, we never had the funds last season to offer him an improved deal without a release clause so this is the situation we find ourselves in and the only way to improve the situation is by making money and selling players.

As for the fee Olise is a probably worth £15-£20M if he had 2/3 years left on his contract but he doesn’t. With 1 year left on his contract it would be very easy for him to run down his contract and just walk a way for a lot less. I am pleased we have at least got some money from the deal and can now reinvest that back into keeping other players at the club.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Jul 2021 09:06

Sorry, but if it is £8m then that's a significant disappointment for the club. Obviously player value is dependent on a number of factors that are going against us (1 year left of contract, lack of money in game, Euro 2020 highlighting other talent), but the leagues best young prospect should be looking at around £20m.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 07 Jul 2021 09:29

What are the chances of another club offering more than £8 million?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jul 2021 09:35

£8 mill is a lot of money but god this club has a habit of shooting itself in the foot.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 07 Jul 2021 09:39

Interesting thought here is that ok we are not probably flush with FFP at the moment. but we have probably taken a third off of our wage bill again, and if Olise does leave probably brought 10 million into the club with settlements for Richards, the sale of Thierry Nevers etc.
The last few years will hurt us with the way FFP works.
We are starting to learn from mistakes and tie down younger talent to longer term contracts. Mcintyre 3 years, Luke Southwood 2 years, Holmes reportedly offered 3 years. Hopefully Rinhomota and Laurent will follow suit, yes Olise is a loss but could we afford to let him run down his contract and leave for nothing and the answer is no.

There is an interesting discussion to be had about the youth prospects, If we sign players that block them they will not develop. we have a string of talent coming through that have no route to the first team. Samuels and Bristow could do amazing things this year if told to compete to make the LB spot there's rather than signing some washed up ex prem LB when we want someone who can bomb down the wing and cross the ball aswell. Same with Tetek what is the point in signing another CM if VP thinks he could make the step up Rino has and Araruna can cover if needed. The area we are actually unbelievably short in is the 3 behind the striker now. There is Swift (Perma croc), Meite (potentially already out for the season), Ejaria (Yay a fit one) and Puscas could play down one of the sides but not his natural spot and Azeez.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jul 2021 09:40

£8M does not sound a lot in these days of madly high fees, but if I recall rightly it will still be a club record fee received for any player.

Also surely if there is a £8M release clause there is no reason why a club could not offer more than this and so is it possible that other clubs might come in for him too and set off a bidding war?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Jul 2021 09:44

Aston Villa are rumoured to be interested....

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Jul 2021 09:48

Regarding the release clause - I seem to remember that Sky were quite keen on mentioning it at every opportunity last season (did they even break the news of it?), however their snippet below makes no mention of it. Therefore, is the £8 million price quoted simply Twitter re-hashing the previous rumours regarding the release clause (which Pauno said he was not aware of) as surely Sky would be highlighting again?

The other question is - why Crystal Palace? Richards went to a huge team in Bayern Munich so why would Michael 'sign me up' Olise be happy with little ol' Palace when there must be other more prestigious sides interested in such a hot prospect?

[Edit: Just saw mention of Villa above]

PALACE TARGETING OLISE

Crystal Palace are trying to sign Michael Olise from Reading.

Palace see Olise as a replacement for Eberechi Eze who is likely to miss a significant part of next season.

The 19-year-old is comfortable as an attacking midfielder and right winger. He scored seven goals and registered 12 assists last season.

Olise has been monitored by a number of Premier League clubs and Palace want to get a deal done as quickly as possible. He ticks all boxes as Palace look to lower the average age of the squad & aim to play more open/attacking football.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jul 2021 09:53

morganb Regarding the release clause - I seem to remember that Sky were quite keen on mentioning it at every opportunity last season (did they even break the news of it?), however their snippet below makes no mention of it. Therefore, is the £8 million price quoted simply Twitter re-hashing the previous rumours regarding the release clause (which Pauno said he was not aware of) as surely Sky would be highlighting again?

The other question is - why Crystal Palace? Richards went to a huge team in Bayern Munich so why would Michael 'sign me up' Olise be happy with little ol' Palace when there must be other more prestigious sides interested in such a hot prospect?

PALACE TARGETING OLISE

Palace see Olise as a replacement for Eberechi Eze who is likely to miss a significant part of next season.

The 19-year-old is comfortable as an attacking midfielder and right winger. He scored seven goals and registered 12 assists last season.

Olise has been monitored by a number of Premier League clubs and Palace want to get a deal done as quickly as possible. He ticks all boxes as Palace look to lower the average age of the squad & aim to play more open/attacking football.

I expect he'd be guaranteed game time at Palace, especially with Eze out with a long term injury and Zaha looking to move on.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Jul 2021 10:22

Stranded
Crowbar6753 If true then 8 million isn't to bad in our current financial situation. So why am i thinking and feeling really disappointed if this really is the case.
He really should be netting us north of 15 million plus a decent sell on fee in the future. I have a real feeling this is another that may well come back to haunt us in a few years time.
I guess we can point fingers at the club, but both Richards and Olise transformed themselves from U23 to great potential in such a short period of time then it was to late for the club to do anything about it. Which sucks....!!!

There is a lot that you can bash the club over re contracts but sticking an 8m clause in the contract of an untested 17yo doesn't feel like one of them (if it definitely exists). If anything there is a bit of bad luck that he has come to prominence after a truly excellent season and as he moves into the final year of his deal.

If the clause is there, then I am very surprised that only Palace seem interested in triggering it given it has been known about since Xmas.

This is how i feel.
£8 million these days is not that much money for a young prospect. The likes of Olise stats from last season would show he is more than worth the punt, and if any scout actually saw him play, they would agree that £8m is worth it.
Palace might be an attractive offer for him as its close by, Its Prem club and plus now Viera is the manager could also be a draw to him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jul 2021 10:23

Hendo
morganb Regarding the release clause - I seem to remember that Sky were quite keen on mentioning it at every opportunity last season (did they even break the news of it?), however their snippet below makes no mention of it. Therefore, is the £8 million price quoted simply Twitter re-hashing the previous rumours regarding the release clause (which Pauno said he was not aware of) as surely Sky would be highlighting again?

PALACE TARGETING OLISE

I expect he'd be guaranteed game time at Palace, especially with Eze out with a long term injury and Zaha looking to move on.

This.

Palace have very few players and with Viera becoming manager that may be an attraction for a young player in the French international picture esp if you are to become his first signing.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2021 10:36

andrew1957 £8M does not sound a lot in these days of madly high fees, but if I recall rightly it will still be a club record fee received for any player.

Also surely if there is a £8M release clause there is no reason why a club could not offer more than this and so is it possible that other clubs might come in for him too and set off a bidding war?

It would be up to Olise who he signs for. If there is a release clause then clubs would just offer that to 'join the party' and any bidding war would be about signing on fees and wages for Olise rather than payments to us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2021 10:42

Stranded
Hendo

This.

Palace have very few players and with Viera becoming manager that may be an attraction for a young player in the French international picture esp if you are to become his first signing.

And Olise is also four years younger than Richards is so the comparisons are fairly weak

Gradual steps up the ladder is probably more logical than one big jump up where players often just become forgotten about - will be a decent move

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Jul 2021 11:40

Nameless
andrew1957 £8M does not sound a lot in these days of madly high fees, but if I recall rightly it will still be a club record fee received for any player.

It would be up to Olise who he signs for. If there is a release clause then clubs would just offer that to 'join the party' and any bidding war would be about signing on fees and wages for Olise rather than payments to us.

Yes we've had this debate before - there is NEVER a bidding war for a player with a release clause ...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jul 2021 11:55

So JLow is the one spreading the £8m release clause rumours this time, you guys never believe him on other stuff and say he has no sources but now you're taking his word as gospel?

Waiting for ITK Eddie.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2021 13:55

I suspect there is some sort of release clause

Anyway it was inevitable and a good bit of business for CP

Echo the thoughts of those saying you can’t really blame the club. I suspect we were quite lucky to get him to sign 3 years ago - he was already ‘known about’ then and the release clause was probs the only way we got him to agree

Remember he could have just walked away then, and we’d have not got a penny or had the pleasure of watching him play for the last couple of years

Good luck to the lad, sure he’ll ace it in the prem

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Jul 2021 17:32

I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of Youth player contracts, but my suspicion is that the release clause was a short-sighted effort to avoid us offering him too high a salary when our wage bill was already ridiculously high.

Speaking of which - I honestly think that people are significantly underestimating the state the club is in if they think this has any meaningful impact on our FFP status. Once you take off agents fees and the like, the money we get from the sale won't make much of a dent into our losses. As such I really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign a single player now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2021 17:49

It should make an 8 million dent in our losses

It won’t fix ffp but it will certainly help

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Jul 2021 17:56

Another Dai master stroke this :shock:

Still…bit of an odd move for Palace bearing in mind they have Eze on the books too

471 posts