Rumour - Yannick Bolasie & Junior Hoilett

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Yannick Bolasie & Junior Hoilett

by John Smith » 08 Jul 2021 15:15

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbroughs-rivals-reading-make-yannick-21003755

Yes. Exactly the type of signings we should be making: proven, household names. Get them in immediately
Last edited by John Smith on 09 Jul 2021 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Yannick Bolasie & Junior Hoillet

by linkenholtroyal » 08 Jul 2021 17:08

Don’t you mean ageing past it players in a position that you need pace and flair. Maybe one but not both. We have just cleared the ageing players why do we need more wage sponges with no resell value.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Jul 2021 17:32

Not sure these are the right type of players in terms of wages, but if it’s only for a year, I’m not against them. Both decent on their day and in positions we need to strengthen in. The type of players that should see us midtable, and that’s really got to be the goal this season

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 08 Jul 2021 17:32

Aging players have done well here in the past!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2021 17:40

Er, it's a no from me.

Don't see either being very cheap, both having been the next big thing PL starlets back in the day. Both at the end of their career, which isn't promising for wingers.

Seems like buying a Name rather than unearthing quality. And our Name buying has been shit.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2021 17:44

Contracts would have to be short and cheap for this to make sense.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Jul 2021 18:15

NewCorkSeth Contracts would have to be short and cheap for this to make sense.

Well the bbc article about us being under a transfer embargo states any free transfer can only be on a one year deal.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jul 2021 18:17

I'd be very surprised. Short term, relatively cheap deals and it's excellent business, but I expect there will be clubs in the market who can make better offers.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Jul 2021 18:42

Bolasie is still pacy. Would be a great addition to squad.

I’ve never rated Hoillett as highly as many seem to. Although he is local and as an attacking full back it could be a masterstroke until the academy lads progress.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jul 2021 21:24

Great so journeyman are coming in at high age and probably big wage demands

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 21:29

Obviously depends massively on the wages etc

But i don’t think anyone out of contract in their position is really in a great place to be asking for a fortune at the moment

6-12m deal, cheapish wages and they’d be a good signing and add a bit of depth and know how

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2021 21:41

Hmmmm ...not happy about going down this route. Lose our young rising stars and bring in ageing players past their best. I know these are not like for like replacements but I would prefer a coherent transfer policy that is longer term than this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 21:46

Zip Hmmmm ...not happy about going down this route. Lose our young rising stars and bring in ageing players past their best. I know these are not like for like replacements but I would prefer a coherent transfer policy that is longer term than this.

I think it’s pretty coherent. Lose one of your best players to injury and one to palace and you need to find low risk signings who will keep us competitive and can move on when no longer needed and we may actually have some ability to invest properly again

We’ve a threadbare if talented squad and need some reliable depth

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 08 Jul 2021 22:32

With the transfer embargo in place we can only offer 1 season contracts anyway I think. Wouldn’t mind Bolasie for season.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Jul 2021 00:08

Zip Hmmmm ...not happy about going down this route. Lose our young rising stars and bring in ageing players past their best. I know these are not like for like replacements but I would prefer a coherent transfer policy that is longer term than this.

I agree it’s not a good long term transfer policy, but it’s where we’re at currently, thanks to previous mismanagement.

It would be better to sign players like Curtis for say £2m, who have more resale value. Sadly we can’t do that, but hopefully we’ll be better positioned to do so later on

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jul 2021 07:31

If we're under a transfer embargo that only allows us to sign free transfers on 1 year deals then we've got fcuk all chance of signing anyone decent under 30. With that in mind, Bolasie and Hoillet are as good as anyone else available.

I suspect we'll be getting a LB in on loan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2021 08:22

Yeah that pretty much

Assume we’ll prob get a couple of younger players in on loan as well

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2021 08:49

I suspect there are a fair few free bargains out there now, more than ever, as clubs don't renew contracts due to covid finances

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2021 08:53

Snowflake Royal I suspect there are a fair few free bargains out there now, more than ever, as clubs don't renew contracts due to covid finances

yep undoubtedly. Also why i doubt those 2 are on much in wages

in some ways, not the worst time in the world to be under an embargo with the restrictions that go with it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2021 09:07

Hound
Snowflake Royal I suspect there are a fair few free bargains out there now, more than ever, as clubs don't renew contracts due to covid finances

yep undoubtedly. Also why i doubt those 2 are on much in wages

in some ways, not the worst time in the world to be under an embargo with the restrictions that go with it

Agreed, if this is the "low point" financially then probably pretty well timed. These would be decent squad players in positions we need bodies and if we can supplement with loans for the likes of Ian Maasten then we may actually end up with a stronger squad than last year albeit with a slightly weaker first 11.

Of course, we don't know the full details of the embargo and if the sale of Olise and the new sponsorship deals will allow it to be lifted ahead of the close of the window allowing us to make a couple of, hopefully astute, signings for a fee.

So yeah, sign them on a year (perhaps with an option of a 2nd under certain circumstances) and I'll be pretty happy.