Rumour - Kyle Edwards

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Rumour - Kyle Edwards

by Sutekh » 11 Jul 2021 16:29

23 year old winger released by WBA in May after 17 years with them! Celtic also very interested but Reading have taken him on trial as his talks with Celtic have hit a stumbling block. 5 appearances in the PL last season and 26 in the Championship the season before that. Total of 6 goals in 77 league appearances since debuting on loan at Exeter in 2017. Played 56 minutes v Lincoln in Reading’s preseason friendly yesterday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Kyle Edwards

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2021 16:54

Sutekh 23 year old winger released by WBA in May after 17 years with them! Celtic also very interested but Reading have taken him on trial as his talks with Celtic have hit a stumbling block. 5 appearances in the PL last season and 26 in the Championship the season before that. Total of 6 goals in 77 league appearances since debuting on loan at Exeter in 2017. Played 56 minutes v Lincoln in Reading’s preseason friendly yesterday.

Sounds ideal. We're desperate for anyone to compete with Ejaria and push him central, so he stops slowing down our wing play.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2021 08:21

Sounds a reasonable shout

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2021 08:22

The sort of signing I would like to see us make.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2021 08:25

Tbf his stats are far from great

Don’t really know too much about him and he hasn’t played a lot for a 23 year old

But prob worth looking at

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Jul 2021 10:41

Hound Tbf his stats are far from great

Don’t really know too much about him and he hasn’t played a lot for a 23 year old

Yes but that's for a team who have been Prem / Champ promotion contenders ... and who has been released on a free. So, you wouldn't be expecting any thing else really.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jul 2021 11:09

Royalwaster

Yes but that's for a team who have been Prem / Champ promotion contenders ... and who has been released on a free. So, you wouldn't be expecting any thing else really.

Exactly and definitely worth a good look. There are plenty of now really good players who had tough periods earlier in their careers and had to take one or more backward steps before working things out and coming good. He clearly has a good base level of skill and if his mental attitude is right............

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2021 11:16

Royalwaster

maybe I'm setting the bar a little high, but I'd hope for more than 13 starts, 3 goals and 0 assists for WBA for someone of his age. I mean 23 isn't particularly young for a pro footballer, and only one of those seasons was in the Prem

I'm assuming we can only offer him a 1 year deal as well

But I'll happily give him a chance and hope he impresses in a trial

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Jul 2021 11:52

From a WBA fan on Twitter:

Edwards is a poor player who will ghost a lot of games, but about 5 times a season he'll have a game where he looks unstoppable

https://mobile.twitter.com/albion_gamin ... 1385580545

Give the limited number of games he has started for Brom this may not be as poor as it sounds plus he may have a point to prove after being released, or the coaches at Reading may be able to make him more consistent.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 11:53

morganb From a WBA fan on Twitter:

Edwards is a poor player who will ghost a lot of games, but about 5 times a season he'll have a game where he looks unstoppable

Give the limited number of games he has started for Brom this may not be as poor as it sounds plus he may have a point to prove after being released, or the coaches at Reading may be able to make him more consistent.

Sounds like Joao :)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jul 2021 12:32

Being just 23 plenty of time yet to develop and mature as an individual.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 12:47

Royalwaster

They don't seem that bad for a player with barely double figure starts.

Could do with being a bit more involved and producing a bit more end product, but hard to do in midfield when most your appearances are off the bench.

Good pass success and three goals is far from awful given his 13 starts and 24 sub appearances.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jul 2021 12:57

If we’d listened to others in this type of context we’d never have signed Shorey, Stephen Hunt, probably Sonko.

We actively want players with something to prove, the young and hungry types that drove the team on under Pardew, Coppell and, to an extent, McDermott

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2021 13:08

problem for me - and this might not be the case, is if we are under an embargo so we can only sign players for a 1 year deal, I'd rather us get tried and tested for this season. We've lots of young and hungrier already.

If that isn't the case, I'd be more keen to take punt on the likes of Edwards, over say Bolasie. Being as a successful season for Edwards might just see him move on for free anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 14:00

Hound problem for me - and this might not be the case, is if we are under an embargo so we can only sign players for a 1 year deal, I'd rather us get tried and tested for this season. We've lots of young and hungrier already.

If that isn't the case, I'd be more keen to take punt on the likes of Edwards, over say Bolasie. Being as a successful season for Edwards might just see him move on for free anyway.

We must be able to put in extension deals.

1 year deal with auto extension if the player makes x appearances and we hit y financial position.

Even if not, I'd still rather have Edwards than Bolasie. Although there's no reason it has to be one or other

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Jul 2021 16:16

ITK Eddie says:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 8161732611

Understand there is a new trialist with the team in Scotland (I know you want his name be patient) and Edwards did not travel up with the team today.

(Not Bolasie either according to comments)

He continues:

Triallist 1 = Kyle Edwards

This guy in Scotland is Triallist 2

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jul 2021 08:49

morganb ITK Eddie says:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 8161732611

Understand there is a new trialist with the team in Scotland (I know you want his name be patient) and Edwards did not travel up with the team today.

(Not Bolasie either according to comments)

He continues:

Triallist 1 = Kyle Edwards

This guy in Scotland is Triallist 2

Same Twitter guy has now stated that Edwards has travelled along with a 2nd triallist.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Jul 2021 11:20

Second trialist could be anyone, I know we are not great financially but we’re up there all last season.
Players still out of contract that would fit the missing spots (just a few)
Max Meyer
Josh Sims
Christian Atsu
Jordon Ibe
Yannick Bolasie
Nathaniel Mendez Laing
Andros Townsend
Joe Bennett
Neil Taylor

All of which might want 1 year to have a shot at dragging us to the premier league and gaining a longer contract. And before you say Meyer is out of our league he has had a crap 4 years but is only 25 and may want a chance to rebuild his career.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jul 2021 15:23

Hendo

Great case in point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2021 15:55

RoyalBlue
Hendo

Great case in point.

bit harsh on Joao - he did it about 20 times last season. Just fell away at the end