Chelsea defensive midfielder on loan

122 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Chelsea defensive midfielder on loan

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2021 21:41

Zip
From Despair To Where? That's 3 decent loans and 2 experienced heads. Very good business in the circumstances especially when a month ago we were looking in terms of Lazaar and Harris. Let's hope they hit the ground running.

Need a striker though, although I think we could survive losing a CB or CM tomorrow.

I would be ok if Moore was moved on. Would hate to see either Swift or Laurent go.

I'm pretty certain neither will line up in a Reading shirt in August 2022 so if we get a decent fee for whoever goes, I can live with it quite happily.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Aug 2021 21:43

What has happened to Drinkwater over the past 5 years? Appears to be a complete shadow of the player that was at Leicester. The forgotten man that nobody seems to want. Being on a £120k a week you can see why the player is still at Chelsea though and declined a permanent move.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Aug 2021 21:46

I guess Chelsea was the wrong move for him. Reckon he followed the money. A fit and motivated Drinkwater should boss this division.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Aug 2021 21:47

Lower West What has happened to Drinkwater over the past 5 years? Appears to be a complete shadow of the player that was at Leicester. The forgotten man that nobody seems to want. Being on a £120k a week you can see why the player is still at Chelsea though and declined a permanent move.

He should never have left Leicester. Some players just suit a certain club or a certain style, he just never fit at Chelsea.
In theory he should stick out like a sore thumb for us in the Championship, a 100% fit Drinkwater is a Premier League player. I just hope his head is in the game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Aug 2021 21:53

Potential to be another Matt Upson type signing. He was a key player in a title winning side and still just about in his prime.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Aug 2021 21:59

Matthew Upson was ridiculously good when he came to us, was worth the ticket fee alone.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 Aug 2021 22:01

Hmm…personally not keen on splitting the Rino & Laurent partnership up. Granted they needed more rest at times last season, but can hardly think Drinkwater will be happy to play 2nd fiddle to them.

Not convinced by this. Hopefully will be proven wrong

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Aug 2021 22:19

Notts Royal Hmm…personally not keen on splitting the Rino & Laurent partnership up. Granted they needed more rest at times last season, but can hardly think Drinkwater will be happy to play 2nd fiddle to them.

It totally needs splitting up. Not working and now clearly overhyped. New signings are here to play.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 Aug 2021 22:26

paultheroyal
Notts Royal Hmm…personally not keen on splitting the Rino & Laurent partnership up. Granted they needed more rest at times last season, but can hardly think Drinkwater will be happy to play 2nd fiddle to them.

It totally needs splitting up. Not working and now clearly overhyped. New signings are here to play.

From the start of this season, due to being asked to play different roles. Were very decent last season but needed resting more than they were due to the manager not identifying that Semedo was actually a defensive midfielder.

Can only think Laurent is off tomorrow. Time will tell

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 30 Aug 2021 22:28

Zip
From Despair To Where? That's 3 decent loans and 2 experienced heads. Very good business in the circumstances especially when a month ago we were looking in terms of Lazaar and Harris. Let's hope they hit the ground running.

Need a striker though, although I think we could survive losing a CB or CM tomorrow.

I would be ok if Moore was moved on. Would hate to see either Swift or Laurent go.

I agree; Of those being rumoured to be subject to offers/interest, if one or two have to go, my ‘preferences’;

1 Moore
2 Holmes
3 Laurent
4 Swift

We shall see tomorrow…..

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Aug 2021 22:53

I gather that in a recent friendly for Chelsea at Bournemouth he was the best player on the pitch so there is hope that he has still got it.
Worryingly I hear that there is strong interest in Laurent ( maybe he has been saving himself in the last couple of games) and Ejaria would not be averse to a move.
Both of these might explain our 3 midfield signings in the past couple of weeks.
Where is the striker though that we desperately need?
This is starting to feel like Burns not so magnificent deadline day signings and we know what that led to- the dreaded R word.
At least something is happening even if the end result is that we may have lost our two best midfielders from last season in addition to the long term injuries up front.
It promises to be an interesting and possibly nerve wracking season ahead.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Aug 2021 22:56

In my haste to post ( out of the habit) I didn’t make it clear that I was on about Drinkwater in that friendly at Bournemouth.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Aug 2021 22:56

In my haste to post ( out of the habit) I didn’t make it clear that I was on about Drinkwater in that friendly at Bournemouth.

JR

by JR » 30 Aug 2021 22:57

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Still don't think we needed a 13 millionth midfielder.

There may be outgoings tomorrow.Maybe Laurent?

Only way it'll make sense is if at least one of Laurent, Ejaria or Swift go. It's certainly not going to be Ejaria who would be my first choice.

Probably Laurent, quickly followed by Swift injury and Ejaria long Covid

It may be this is a precursor to covering a sale, but I’m not in the camp that says it has to be.

We have a very small squad and at the moment Laurent and Rino are automatic starters - this adds much needed quality and competition.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Aug 2021 23:05

Interesting selection for Pauno with regards to the QPR game.The old guard threw their hand in at Huddersfield and some are going to find themselves benched.equally it would seem highly unlikely that any of Laurent,Moore or Swift will be gone tomorrow .
Hopefully a striker comes in tomorrow;we will then have on paper a very very strong squad and will no longer be the division laughing stock.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 30 Aug 2021 23:09

Laurent will be off tomorrow and is pushing for a move away. Based on his performances this season I am not actually that bothered by this. Hopefully Drinkwater will step in and offer a bit more quality on the ball. Passing to a blue and white shirt will be an improvement.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Aug 2021 23:28

The funny thing about all these deals today is Derby fans are convinced the EFL have a vendetta against them and are letting us off the hook.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Aug 2021 23:37

South Coast Royal I gather that in a recent friendly for Chelsea at Bournemouth he was the best player on the pitch so there is hope that he has still got it.
Worryingly I hear that there is strong interest in Laurent ( maybe he has been saving himself in the last couple of games) and Ejaria would not be averse to a move.
Both of these might explain our 3 midfield signings in the past couple of weeks.
Where is the striker though that we desperately need?
This is starting to feel like Burns not so magnificent deadline day signings and we know what that led to- the dreaded R word.
At least something is happening even if the end result is that we may have lost our two best midfielders from last season in addition to the long term injuries up front.
It promises to be an interesting and possibly nerve wracking season ahead.

It’s going to be interesting. But you can’t really compare the ‘magnificent seven’ that Burns recruited to the players we signed. Drinkwater is a PL title winner and Dann has captained Palace for almost 10 years. Rahman is a full international and Halilovic was sought after. It’s a bit more reassuring than ‘98 mate

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Aug 2021 00:00

NathStPaul
Lower West What has happened to Drinkwater over the past 5 years? Appears to be a complete shadow of the player that was at Leicester. The forgotten man that nobody seems to want. Being on a £120k a week you can see why the player is still at Chelsea though and declined a permanent move.

He should never have left Leicester. Some players just suit a certain club or a certain style, he just never fit at Chelsea.
In theory he should stick out like a sore thumb for us in the Championship, a 100% fit Drinkwater is a Premier League player. I just hope his head is in the game.

Less than 20 starts in 5 seasons (including while out on loan). Nothing to suggest that he is going to be anything more than bit part on the pitch. Smacks of desparation given the wage constraints.

Rax

by Rax » 31 Aug 2021 00:08

Danny Drinkwater. England International. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

122 posts