George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2022 18:03

We’ll have to utilise him if he stays. Ince has never worked with him so it’s a fresh start. I still feel he’s capable of scoring 12 - 15 goals a season if played with another striker.

biff

by biff » 19 Jun 2022 20:59

He's decent at this level. If he stays I hope he starts with confidence and gets a bit of regular wing service

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2022 21:04

The problem is Ince is unlikely to start with two upfront. If he does then Puscas and Joao will do a good job.....but it will come at a cost elsewhere.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2022 22:23

I am not really clever with football formations but would a good old fashioned 4-4-2 where everyone understands their role and is being played in their correct position be a bad thing? Probably because I don’t always understand but sometimes the game we love seems way over complicated at times.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 19 Jun 2022 23:55

blythspartan I am not really clever with football formations but would a good old fashioned 4-4-2 where everyone understands their role and is being played in their correct position be a bad thing? Probably because I don’t always understand but sometimes the game we love seems way over complicated at times.

I'm an old romantic and love 4-4-2. Big man and little man up front. Pacey wingers out wide. Tough man and creative man in the middle of the park. LB and RB looking for the overlap.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 20 Jun 2022 00:18

PATRIQT
blythspartan I am not really clever with football formations but would a good old fashioned 4-4-2 where everyone understands their role and is being played in their correct position be a bad thing? Probably because I don’t always understand but sometimes the game we love seems way over complicated at times.

I'm an old romantic and love 4-4-2. Big man and little man up front. Pacey wingers out wide. Tough man and creative man in the middle of the park. LB and RB looking for the overlap.

Sounds a lot like the 106 side

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jun 2022 06:45

fred sharpes nose
PATRIQT

Sounds a lot like the 106 side

Apart from Blakey being noone’s idea of pacey !
But yes, Coppell kept things simple and got the players to make his way of playing work.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Jun 2022 07:31

Was having the formation discussion with some fellow Royals at the weekend

The ‘problem’ (if that’s what it is) seems to be that the keep ball format works so well for the true top teams that it’s copied throughout the professional pyramid, even to the extent that the National League play-off teams seemed to play a lot that way as well.

The difficulty is that the top two (City and Liverpool) have the quality players to make it work, the majority of the PL teams ‘can’ be reasonably successful with it, but any lower than that and players are usually way too susceptible to a mistake. Those mistakes are regularly in the wrong third and can be catastrophic

It would be interesting to see whether a change to a more traditional formation might be successful in some of the EFL/NL divisions

One point that was raised was that a lot of teams try to put the keep ball system in place because they want to get to the PL.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 07:39

The main problem with 4-4-2 is that pretty much everyone plays with 3 in the middle of the park so you are always a man down in arguably the most important part of the pitch when it comes to controlling a game.

For it to really work, you'd really need wide men who are happy to tuck in out of possession and central players who are quick thinking enough on the ball to get it quickly out to the wings when in possession to try and take advantage of the space that there will be. You will almost always need to have one winger hugging the touchline to try and stretch the opposition. It's tough but can be very effective if done well.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jun 2022 08:06

Franchise FC Was having the formation discussion with some fellow Royals at the weekend

The ‘problem’ (if that’s what it is) seems to be that the keep ball format works so well for the true top teams that it’s copied throughout the professional pyramid, even to the extent that the National League play-off teams seemed to play a lot that way as well.

The difficulty is that the top two (City and Liverpool) have the quality players to make it work, the majority of the PL teams ‘can’ be reasonably successful with it, but any lower than that and players are usually way too susceptible to a mistake. Those mistakes are regularly in the wrong third and can be catastrophic

It would be interesting to see whether a change to a more traditional formation might be successful in some of the EFL/NL divisions

One point that was raised was that a lot of teams try to put the keep ball system in place because they want to get to the PL.

I think you’re spot on with this. Watching Liverpool and Man City can be a joy to watch and I remember the Tiki Taka football that Spain played when they won the World Cup was amazing at times. I also think around this time Swansea burst onto the scene and were a revelation with their exciting style of football.

I remember wanting Reading to play that way but after Brian left the football has generally been riddled with errors and dull to watch at times. There have been a few games where we have played well but I struggle to remember many games where we have looked good for 90+ minutes. As I have said before I don’t really understand all of the different formations apart from 4-4-2 but it would seem sensible to play that way next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jun 2022 08:26

Would be interesting to see how teams would fare playing 4-4-2 nowadays - don’t see it a lot

As Stranded said, teams generally try to dominate the midfield nowadays with 3 in there. You could try to counter this by playing a 4 with a diamond but you inevitably lose width, and it’s a struggle to make that work with ‘traditional’ wingers

I think you’re also at risk of giving the oppo full backs to much space and time if you’re wide mids are more defensive, or too much space behind if they are attacking wingers

Going 4-4-2 you’d pretty much concede you won’t dominate the ball (not nec an issue) I think.

Still wouldn’t necessarily be against it if was implemented well

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 08:34

blythspartan
Franchise FC Was having the formation discussion with some fellow Royals at the weekend

I think you’re spot on with this. Watching Liverpool and Man City can be a joy to watch and I remember the Tiki Taka football that Spain played when they won the World Cup was amazing at times. I also think around this time Swansea burst onto the scene and were a revelation with their exciting style of football.

I remember wanting Reading to play that way but after Brian left the football has generally been riddled with errors and dull to watch at times. There have been a few games where we have played well but I struggle to remember many games where we have looked good for 90+ minutes. As I have said before I don’t really understand all of the different formations apart from 4-4-2 but it would seem sensible to play that way next season.

I don't entirely agree. All players have strengths and weaknesses, and whilst we won't have players of the quality of Man City we've seen the likes of Baker, Ejaria and Swift here. And the influence of Spain and Barca was so great all academies train players like that now.

The trouble is coherent recruitment and identity. I'd say the "Reading" DNA which we knew under Coppell and McDermott was high intensity 4-4-2 and we don't often produce players of that ilk (but we had Olise and Sigurdsson). I think Rinomhota, Richards, Cooper and Stacey would have thrived in that sort of team. And the recruitment has been a mess; players like Baldock, Bodvardsson, Edwards and Bacuna were never going to play that way.

So to be a lite Man City, we'd need a clear strategy at every level to give ourselves the players. But I don't see the need; there are many effective ways to play and having a high intensity 442 with crosses into the box is great to watch too. And Puscas would probably be a 15 goal a season striker.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 08:59

Teams don't just play that way to make the PL though, it also helps make their players more sellable assets. When Barnsley sacked Schopp early in the season, along with their horrendous start, the board members quoted how they wanted to play a more attractive style of football, so that those players who thrived and impressed would be picked up by better teams who would pay more money for the players that would be good enough for them.

Agree with the above though, I don't think we have to play a certain way because it's "in fashion", I just think we have to play a way that suits our players. Me personally, I'd play in a way that suits our best player(s) and/or in a way that suits our attacking players. In the case of Joao and Puscas, they are capable as a 2 and can score goals as a pair, so I'd look to formulate my team around that now.

I don't think the rest of the players we have (albeit few of them) suit a 4-4-2 now. Meite and Ejaria are not traditional wingers where you'd want to get down the line and get crosses into the box, so we'd have to recruit in that area there and Ejaria I think prefers to play at a slower tempo, so I'm not sure he'd suit a high pressing system off the ball etc.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 20 Jun 2022 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jun 2022 09:04

It’s not just fashion I don’t think

The pitches are obvs a lot better nowadays so more inclined to keep the ball on the floor. Players are generally fitter and more athletic. Think the ball is lighter. The game evolves

Read something recently that not thought about a lot but might be true - in that teams were not putting in so many high crosses from the wings as it was too easy to counter - hence why we see more teams try to drive into the box, keep possession longer and ‘pass’ a cross rather than swing them in. That was certainly how we played under Pauno at least

Might be something in it, as I say not really watched a game with this in mind

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jun 2022 09:20

If we have the squad to play with 2 up top then great. But lets not wedge players into the team just to use them.

Play the best system for the players you have. That was VP downfall last season. he continued with his system still thinking we had Joao, Olise and Richards in the team, when the reality was Puscas, Bristow and TDB.....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 09:28

Coppells Lost Coat If we have the squad to play with 2 up top then great. But lets not wedge players into the team just to use them.

Play the best system for the players you have. That was VP downfall last season. he continued with his system still thinking we had Joao, Olise and Richards in the team, when the reality was Puscas, Bristow and TDB.....

I think we are in a position where we probably do have to use what we have at the moment. Be it true or not, it does seem as if selling players might be unviable at this point given we may not be able to invest significantly in a replacement for whoever.

It's not like we have poor players contracted either.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jun 2022 09:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat If we have the squad to play with 2 up top then great. But lets not wedge players into the team just to use them.

I think we are in a position where we probably do have to use what we have at the moment. Be it true or not, it does seem as if selling players might be unviable at this point given we may not be able to invest significantly in a replacement for whoever.

I am not sure we have the players to play any formation or style atm. Lets see where we are in a few weeks time.
I am in favour of selling if it means we can be more flexible in the market. Absolutely no point of selling if we are not able to reinvest a good portion of the money.
I am positive that Puscas will have a decent goal return if used correctly...I would also say Joao would also score just as many using the same system we should use for Puscas.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Jun 2022 10:11

Zip The problem is Ince is unlikely to start with two upfront. If he does then Puscas and Joao will do a good job.....but it will come at a cost elsewhere.

But in the loss of Swift & Laurent, we are now significantly weaker in a 3-man central midfield, so maybe the time to change formation as the strikeforce is now relatively stronger?

Taffster

by Taffster » 20 Jun 2022 10:11

Coppells Lost Coat
YorkshireRoyal99

I am not sure we have the players to play any formation or style atm. Lets see where we are in a few weeks time.
I am in favour of selling if it means we can be more flexible in the market. Absolutely no point of selling if we are not able to reinvest a good portion of the money.
I am positive that Puscas will have a decent goal return if used correctly...I would also say Joao would also score just as many using the same system we should use for Puscas.

Really the players we have suits a 3 man defence -

Holmes Dann Mcintyre
Yiadom Unkown
Rhino Unkown
Ejaria
Pucas Joao

Gives us cover in defence with Yiadom being athletic enough to get up and down the pitch while along us to play 2 up top with Ejaria in supposedly he best position.
Mcintyre and Holmes naturally suit playing either side of Dann as well.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Jun 2022 10:11

For any system to work, you need the players to make it work, and those that can afford the best players tend to win more games.

Which comes down to a club identifying a system that they want to play, and then recruiting wisely to bring in the best players they can in order to play in that system as effectively as possible.

But that takes time, patience and commitment that few clubs at any level have; remember how Brendan Rogers was slaughtered both on here and - notably - by BBC Radio Berkshire - for having the temerity to say that he was in it for a long term project and, by implication, a few defeats wouldn't change that. We sacked him, and he then went on to have success at clubs like Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester - maybe a bit of patience and an acceptance that sometimes you need to take a step back in order to move forwards is a neccesity.

We are now in a position where we have a new Manager who has to recruit who he can within the confines of strict rules and budgetary constraints; on the plus side, it is (almost) a blank sheet of paper for PInce, so he has an opportunity to impose his preferred style of play on the team and to recruit (as best he can) players to best fit that style.

However, we shouldn't delude ourselves; this is unlikely to be a season of glory and instead is going to be a grind with more disappointments than joy, and we should all be prepared for that, and to have some patience.

791 posts