George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 May 2022 21:48

Game over it looks like for Pisa now then. Hopefully they take up their optional fee or someone else from Italy comes in to poach him this summer, maybe Monza would be interested as they battle to stay in the top division next season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 May 2022 22:01

The option to buy him if they don’t go up isn’t a great option for us at all.
Jeez. I hate the play offs,

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 May 2022 22:14

Should have realised the moment Pisa winning the play-offs would benefit Reading, they wouldn't win the play-offs

We have a curse hanging over us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 07:40

Frustrating result as the cash would have really helped us

Leaning slightly towards keeping him rather than £2m

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 May 2022 08:02

Hound Frustrating result as the cash would have really helped us

£2m and his salary off the books I’d let him go.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2022 08:04

blythspartan

I would hope we would get more elsewhere for him. It’s a poor return considering what we paid for him

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 08:52

Yeah it's a big hit we are taking on him to get rid for £2m but with our financial situation being as poor as it is means it might just be worth taking the money and getting him off the wage bill.

I still think it will be worth biding our time over him though, he's had a good second half of the season there and I'm sure there will be interest from other clubs in Italy as well given the goals he got for Pisa. I think we could get double the £2m from him personally, or somewhere near that anyway.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2022 08:54

Zip
blythspartan

I would hope we would get more elsewhere for him. It’s a poor return considering what we paid for him

The problem is the clause seems to be well known, so unless a club at a Serie A level or equivalent come knocking, clubs know he'll cost (or we willing to take) around €2.5m.

We may be able to squeeze another million out of someone, maybe.

His wage is approximately 850k for the year, so it is a balance between getting some money for him now or sinking 800k into him hoping he comes good (i.e. has another season like his first, goals wise) only to see him walk away next year.

The idea of building a team around a front 2 of Joao/Puscas could be quite exciting.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 30 May 2022 09:03

Stranded
Zip
blythspartan

The problem is the clause seems to be well known, so unless a club at a Serie A level or equivalent come knocking, clubs know he'll cost (or we willing to take) around €2.5m.

His wage is approximately 850k for the year, so it is a balance between getting some money for him now or sinking 800k into him hoping he comes good (i.e. has another season like his first, goals wise) only to see him walk away next year.

The idea of building a team around a front 2 of Joao/Puscas could be quite exciting.

PINce should do this. It'd be like going back a little to the golden days of strikers we've had.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 09:06

Franconian Royal
Stranded
Zip

PINce should do this. It'd be like going back a little to the golden days of strikers we've had.

It has been something that has shown potential to work ever since the pair were signed and Puscas is obviously at his best with a strike partner and Joao sometimes also looks as if he could use someone around him, just to occupy another defender if nothing else.

Unfortunately, it just seems as though finances dictate with Puscas, which is a shame.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 May 2022 12:24

Fate just conspires more and more against us. Not a single team I've wanted to win big games has done it (excluding us).

What a rotten season to the core.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2022 12:30

I’m sure this has been raised before, but the fact we paid a reported (guessed) £10m and may only get £2m back will NOT be a hit now as we’ve already accounted for the vast majority of the fee.
In fact, even if it’s being amortised over the length of his contract taking £2m now would probably be profit neutral in the accounts, at worst.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 12:34

Franchise FC I’m sure this has been raised before, but the fact we paid a reported (guessed) £10m and may only get £2m back will NOT be a hit now as we’ve already accounted for the vast majority of the fee.
In fact, even if it’s being amortised over the length of his contract taking £2m now would probably be profit neutral in the accounts, at worst.

It may have been 10 million Euro's, so obviously backs that point up even more.

I class it as a "hit" because I feel as if we could have got more from him during his time here, so not just the financial side of things.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 12:40

Zip
blythspartan

Sunk cost.

The money we spent on him is gone. Whether we get £10m, £5m or £1m, it's money in we could really use.

If I thought he wanted to be here and we'd get the best out of him, I'd be more keen on him staying, but I think it's pretty unlikely it would pan out that way, so I'm all for whatever cash we can get whilst shifting a poor performer on a high to middling wage.

On Strings

by On Strings » 30 May 2022 12:56

He's crap, an under-performer, lazy in training, and on big wages. I would expect we'll be doing our utmost to loan him out again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 13:20

Very much doubt we paid anything like 10m for him. Prob more 5-6

Just think we’d struggle to get a striker of that level for 2m now. Obvs any future signing is a gamble and at least he knows the place and is settled

If - big if - we can fit him into the squad with the budget limitations now (and the fact we apparently offered swift a contract suggests we might) then he may be worth keeping. Really can’t go into the seaosn with Joao as our only striker

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 13:50

I can only imagine Swift was offered significantly less than what he was already on, I very much doubted he'd have ever signed a new contract with us unless we could somehow afford to keep him on the wage he is on.

As it is now, it seems like we can fit him in our squad, but it would just impact what we could do with other players in terms of signings anyway. Overall, it just seems best to take whatever we can get and move on from there. £2m and £15k off our wage bill would be decent enough for the club now. (£15k is his FM wage, just for a rough idea).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 13:56

15k prob isn’t far off

Just feel we’d be extremely lucky to get any kind of striker for much less than that personally. May luck out on a lower div gamble (but anyone who scores goals is in big demand) or a prem league loanee (again big demand and be a real gamble)

At least with Puscas you know he has some pedigree. Obvs not ideal but would still back him to score 10+ next year despite his struggles this season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2022 16:00

Hound Very much doubt we paid anything like 10m for him. Prob more 5-6

Just think we’d struggle to get a striker of that level for 2m now. Obvs any future signing is a gamble and at least he knows the place and is settled

If - big if - we can fit him into the squad with the budget limitations now (and the fact we apparently offered swift a contract suggests we might) then he may be worth keeping. Really can’t go into the seaosn with Joao as our only striker

Yep.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 May 2022 16:00

Hound 15k prob isn’t far off

Just feel we’d be extremely lucky to get any kind of striker for much less than that personally. May luck out on a lower div gamble (but anyone who scores goals is in big demand) or a prem league loanee (again big demand and be a real gamble)

At least with Puscas you know he has some pedigree. Obvs not ideal but would still back him to score 10+ next year despite his struggles this season

Just a couple of questions and speaking hypothetically would you prefer Andre Gray for 12/15k a week or Puscas? Or take a punt on someone like Tshimanga at Chesterfield for about 8k per week?

791 posts