George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 16:02

Hound 15k prob isn’t far off

Just feel we’d be extremely lucky to get any kind of striker for much less than that personally. May luck out on a lower div gamble (but anyone who scores goals is in big demand) or a prem league loanee (again big demand and be a real gamble)

At least with Puscas you know he has some pedigree. Obvs not ideal but would still back him to score 10+ next year despite his struggles this season

In the correct system I'd agree. However, I can't see us playing that system and I don't think Ince would want to play that system either.

With so many players out of contract across many clubs in the UK, I can imagine we could pick up a freebie on less than £10k a week, or a loanee similar. Any signing comes with an element of risk ultimately, but I just don't see us thinking its viable to keep Puscas, unless there really is no interest for him, which I also find unlikely.

Given we've got Joao and Meite who can play as a CF, I don't doubt we could find a 3rd CF (preferably ahead of Meite in the pecking order) who can come in and deliver some goals. Many clubs have a decent squad CF that is earning anything from £6-12k a week. Example is Millwall who have forwards such as Bradshaw and Bennett these days as well as previous strikers such as Bodvarsson, Smith and Gregory who were not elite Championship strikers, but were good squad players capable of getting a few goals for the team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 16:46

blythspartan

Just feel we’d be extremely lucky to get any kind of striker for much less than that personally. May luck out on a lower div gamble (but anyone who scores goals is in big demand) or a prem league loanee (again big demand and be a real gamble)

At least with Puscas you know he has some pedigree. Obvs not ideal but would still back him to score 10+ next year despite his struggles this season

Just a couple of questions and speaking hypothetically would you prefer Andre Gray for 12/15k a week or Puscas? Or take a punt on someone like Tshimanga at Chesterfield for about 8k per week?

Probably Puscas actually

One of those is on the way down whilst the other completely unproven . I’d still back Puscas to score a decent number for us next year

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2022 16:48

Not sure many Millwall fans would say we should envy their strike force exactly

Don’t see why it’s not viable to keep him. He was useless under Pauno but he’s moved on. Clean slate and all that, and coming back knowing he can still score goals. Ended up with 10 for the season which isn’t terrible

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2022 17:13

Hound Not sure many Millwall fans would say we should envy their strike force exactly

Don’t see why it’s not viable to keep him. He was useless under Pauno but he’s moved on. Clean slate and all that, and coming back knowing he can still score goals. Ended up with 10 for the season which isn’t terrible

It goes back to how he is played. If he is played as a lone striker it’s pointless as he doesn’t have Joao’s ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play.
If he is played as one of two upfront then he is worth his place in the side.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2022 17:36

Puscas is like Nick Blackman in reverse, a player who plays well in a certain position/formation/playing style who then gets bought by another club who play a different style and as a result he's crap.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 May 2022 17:43

Personally, I still think there’s a decent player there and who knows Ince might be able to get the best out of him if he stays.

I’d like to see us take a punt on someone like Tshimanga as I believe there’s a lot of talent in the lower leagues including the National League. Zorba Thomas at Huddersfield is a good example.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 17:49

Zip
Hound Very much doubt we paid anything like 10m for him. Prob more 5-6

Just think we’d struggle to get a striker of that level for 2m now. Obvs any future signing is a gamble and at least he knows the place and is settled

If - big if - we can fit him into the squad with the budget limitations now (and the fact we apparently offered swift a contract suggests we might) then he may be worth keeping. Really can’t go into the seaosn with Joao as our only striker

Yep.

I'd probably equally back Azeez to match that if given 40 games upfront.

Clarke to not be far off with the same appearances and Meite to beat it.

Reckon Clarke could use a loan though. Dunno how Melvin-Lambert is doing these days.

I think we could comfortably replace Puscas with a more suitable player for similar or less. Would take some good scouting, but should be doable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 May 2022 17:52

Hound Not sure many Millwall fans would say we should envy their strike force exactly

Got to play differently to get the best out of him. He comes with baggage and a habit of failure here. That affects the way he performs and the way fans respond.

An early couple of misses and it's a very unhappy place for him again

Someone new comes without that baggage.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2022 18:29

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound Very much doubt we paid anything like 10m for him. Prob more 5-6

Just think we’d struggle to get a striker of that level for 2m now. Obvs any future signing is a gamble and at least he knows the place and is settled

If - big if - we can fit him into the squad with the budget limitations now (and the fact we apparently offered swift a contract suggests we might) then he may be worth keeping. Really can’t go into the seaosn with Joao as our only striker

Yep.

Reckon Clarke could use a loan though. Dunno how Melvin-Lambert is doing these days.

I think we could comfortably replace Puscas with a more suitable player for similar or less. Would take some good scouting, but should be doable.

Not convinced by Azeez. Good movement but really lacks composure and very fragile. He needs to stay fit for more than three or four games.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 May 2022 18:40

blythspartan

Just a couple of questions and speaking hypothetically would you prefer Andre Gray for 12/15k a week or Puscas? Or take a punt on someone like Tshimanga at Chesterfield for about 8k per week?

£8k a week for an unproven at this level and plays in non league. Pfft he is worth £4k/week max.

We could possibly get both strikers for Puscas' total wage (Gray for £12k/week and Tshimanga for £4k/week) if they wanted to come here. No idea if what kind of forward Tshimanga is though but could be a useful option if we need a goal near the end of a game as he clearly knows where the net is.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 May 2022 21:56

Zip

It goes back to how he is played. If he is played as a lone striker it’s pointless as he doesn’t have Joao’s ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play.

Agreed. You probably won’t agree but was the same with Baldock. Did nothing for us in his last 18 months as a lone striker (1/2 goals at a push). 4 goals and a couple of assists in 4 starts for Oxford this season. Albeit a lower level but it’s no coincidence

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 09:03

I don't envy their options, but they were all decent enough players at this level that could chip in with a few goals when required and have obviously contributed somewhat to their good performances for a number of seasons now.

I would keep him if we played to a system that suited him and his wages were slightly lower than they are. I think we could get a decent deal that helps us for this summer and could recruit one or two decent other forwards.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 May 2022 09:04

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
Yep.

Not convinced by Azeez. Good movement but really lacks composure and very fragile. He needs to stay fit for more than three or four games.

Absolute quality player. Star in making. Need to get that contract sorted and this will be his breakout season.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 May 2022 10:16

URZZZZ
Zip

Agreed. You probably won’t agree but was the same with Baldock. Did nothing for us in his last 18 months as a lone striker (1/2 goals at a push). 4 goals and a couple of assists in 4 starts for Oxford this season. Albeit a lower level but it’s no coincidence

You can play several ways with a lone striker. Its not all link up play, bringing others into the game, lay offs and cute passes around the corner - that was Pauno ball and it strangled Puscas.
We can play a system that works with both Joao and Puscas. We dont have to accommodate Swift in the team now so its not unconceivable. Plus Ince is from the dark ages of playing midfield in a 442 so he knows the roles pretty well.

However I am keen that that if we get an acceptable offer for him, we sell as the finances could secure more vital players like a LB

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 May 2022 11:01

Scouting players is not hard work or rocket science. Absolutely bags of talent in the National League, and League 2 for that matter.

Scouts should be out there, filing reports and then approaching. Literally could be getting some future stars and talent at around £4k a week.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 11:11

paultheroyal Scouting players is not hard work or rocket science. Absolutely bags of talent in the National League, and League 2 for that matter.

Scouts should be out there, filing reports and then approaching. Literally could be getting some future stars and talent at around £4k a week.

Trouble is other sides of a similar size to us have been doing this for years and will have links to the better non-league sides already. Will be tough for us to get a foothold in the non-league market after so many years of not having a presence.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 11:19

Now being reported that he will actually join Pisa for 2.5m Euros.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 11:21

Pepe the Horseman Now being reported that he will actually join Pisa for 2.5m Euros.

Seems low, but if that's what it is, then that's what it is.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 11:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman Now being reported that he will actually join Pisa for 2.5m Euros.

Seems low, but if that's what it is, then that's what it is.

That was the agreed price at the time. Could probably get more for him if Pisa don't take up the option.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 11:23

Yeah that's what I mean, that was our agreed price but I don't doubt we could hold out for a bit more from other clubs. Depends if we just decide to take the money and run and go again from there.

In a way, 2.5m Euro's and not having so subsidise any of his wages (hypothetically) may be better than 3m Euro's and having to subsidise some wages.

791 posts