791 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by Hound » 12 Nov 2021 16:15

Zip
Hound
Zip
He was also Fulham’s captain. Thought it a bold signing albeit very costly.

Come off it? He was ok for Fulham, not very good as stated and stated at the time.

actually note my first comment on the first page:

Strikes me as one of those players who looks better than he actually is. Thought he was poor in the play off games

about right I reckon

Er I have a different opinion than you, I thought he was a good signing. We paid too much but considered him a good player at that level.

oh was responding to Urrzzz sorry not you. Who told me to come off it

quoted the wrong thing sorry, but you are still in my bad books for saying Clarke shouldn't have played the other night :wink:
Last edited by Hound on 12 Nov 2021 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2021 16:15

Hound mind you not as accurate as FDTW was :lol:

Just call me Nostrodamus.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Nov 2021 16:18

From Despair To Where?

bet you wouldn't have posted that link if you'd been enthusiastic about the signing at the time :)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 16:19

Hound
Zip
Hound
Come off it? He was ok for Fulham, not very good as stated and stated at the time.

Strikes me as one of those players who looks better than he actually is. Thought he was poor in the play off games

about right I reckon

Er I have a different opinion than you, I thought he was a good signing. We paid too much but considered him a good player at that level.

oh was responding to Urrzzz sorry not you. Who told me to come off it

quoted the wrong thing sorry, but you are still in my bad books for saying Clarke shouldn't have played the other night :wink:

Oh ok.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2021 16:22

Hound
From Despair To Where?

bet you wouldn't have posted that link if you'd been enthusiastic about the signing at the time :)

Good Lord no.

Sill, not as funny as the thread after the Plymouth game in 2005 suggesting we were going to bomb without Forster.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 16:27

Hound
Zip
URZZZZ
Come off it - he's (was) a decent Champ player (certainly at the time) - but just as FDTW said - was massively overpriced and not by any stretch a position needed

A player as bad as some make out wouldn't sustain a career at Champ level (and Prem briefly) for so long if it were true. Fulham (promotion rivals - or who were supposed to be) were disappointed to lose him, even if they were a bit bemused at the price we paid

about right I reckon

Apologies. Just think there’s a bit of hindsight bias going on from some people but didn’t see your original comment

Would still maintain at the time he was a decent Champ player but only in the right framework (I.e. not us then). Personally feel he got too much flak for what was more a management transfer policy problem, rather than the player himself

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2021 16:36

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but I'm quite pleased with this one:

From Despair To Where? £7.5m? For Aluko?

I'm usually pretty positive about signings but that is just madness.

Sure, he gets fans on their feet but that's usually to avoid being hit by one of his crosses.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Nov 2021 16:44

URZZZZ
Hound
Zip

about right I reckon

Apologies. Just think there’s a bit of hindsight bias going on from some people but didn’t see your original comment

Would still maintain at the time he was a decent Champ player but only in the right framework (I.e. not us then). Personally feel he got too much flak for what was more a management transfer policy problem, rather than the player himself

Was just a poor move all round for everyone except his agent/bank balance. He seemed to fit in very well with the Fulham system with the overlapping fullback being very prominent (Fredericks from memory) but was obvious pretty quickly that he wouldnt be a good fit here in a much more defensive system

but yes of course some hindsight going on. He had ability no doubts.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 16:50

That was the summer we bought Mannone, Edwards, Bodvarsson and Meyer too. We bought Pope earlier in the year in the January. I cannot think of a worse year in our entire history for signings than 2017.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2021 16:55

Worse than Colin Gordon, Francis Joseph and Paul Franklin to replace Trevor Senior, Kevin Bremner and Steve Wood?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Nov 2021 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 16:57

Zip That was the summer we bought Mannone, Edwards, Bodvarsson and Meyer too. We bought Pope earlier in the year in the January. I cannot think of a worse year in our entire history for signings than 2017.

Meyler was 2018, which was also a poor window, along with Baldock who I’d categorise closely with Aluko

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Nov 2021 17:04

Weren't we also looking at Oliveira when we signed Aluko? I'm not sure we was worth £7.5m either, but would have been worth a hell of a lot more than Aluko for sure.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 17:39

URZZZZ
Zip That was the summer we bought Mannone, Edwards, Bodvarsson and Meyer too. We bought Pope earlier in the year in the January. I cannot think of a worse year in our entire history for signings than 2017.

Meyler was 2018, which was also a poor window, along with Baldock who I’d categorise closely with Aluko

Ah ok. Fair enough. Yep agreed about Baldock.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 17:40

WestYorksRoyal Weren't we also looking at Oliveira when we signed Aluko? I'm not sure we was worth £7.5m either, but would have been worth a hell of a lot more than Aluko for sure.

Yes we were heavily linked but I think Norwich were proving difficult sellers.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 17:41

From Despair To Where? Worse than Colin Gordon, Francis Joseph and Paul Franklin to replace Trevor Senior, Kevin Bremner and Steve Wood?

Hell yes. Look at how many millions were wasted in fees and wages.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Nov 2021 17:54

Zip
From Despair To Where? Worse than Colin Gordon, Francis Joseph and Paul Franklin to replace Trevor Senior, Kevin Bremner and Steve Wood?

Hell yes. Look at how many millions were wasted in fees and wages.

Francis Joseph had a chant “Jo, Jo - have a go” despite only making about 10 league appearances for the club. As I recall he was pretty useful at Brentford but had had a leg injury or something that must have affected his game as he was never quite the same after. Reading sold him to Sheffield United after one season and, surprise, surprise, he scored on his debut for them - against Reading.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2021 18:24

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Have to say Sone Aluko is probably the club’s biggest waste of money ever (that is presuming all of the reported £7.5 million fee was paid and not just a total figure that included bonuses, add ons etc.). Even at the time I think most of us on here couldn’t believe what a stupid idea his purchase was but then Stam’s regime seemed to want to bring nothing but attacking midfield types to the club at the time instead of the striker the club was (and still is) crying out for.

Still what’s done is done Reading have wasted money on players before and, sadly, will do so again.

Aluko's a close second to Pogrebnyak's deal worth £60k a week in my book.

Popa can't be far off - stunk the place out for years, by all accounts had a poor attitude and in general was just an awful footballer, bemused as to why people thought he should have been given a run in the first team

Comparative peanuts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2021 18:27

Zip
Hound
Zip

about right I reckon

But crucially, one that proved wrong and a lot of people called him that way at the time. So one in the question your judgement column. :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 19:12

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound

about right I reckon

But crucially, one that proved wrong and a lot of people called him that way at the time. So one in the question your judgement column. :wink:

Fukk off you wishy washy centrist. He wasn’t great was he. Although I thought he was ok last season but for what we paid he provided a terrible return.
Jnr has just mentioned Lucas Boye is playing very well in La Liga. Yet another injury prone player whilst with us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 19:17

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Aluko's a close second to Pogrebnyak's deal worth £60k a week in my book.

Popa can't be far off - stunk the place out for years, by all accounts had a poor attitude and in general was just an awful footballer, bemused as to why people thought he should have been given a run in the first team

Comparative peanuts.

Was on high wages IIRC, didn’t he come from a team in the CL?

791 posts