Re: January Window

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 19:10

Rumours are that Boro are paying all of his 40k per week wage mind you

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2022 06:37

Hound Rumours are that Boro are paying all of his 40k per week wage mind you

That’ll be good, add more to their financial state.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jan 2022 21:33

Apparently we have lodged an official bid to take Karl-Jakob Hein on loan until the end of the season. As much as recent games think we could probably use someone more experienced than Southwood, it seems very risky to go for someone younger, with limited experience (despite his International caps) and a relative unknown. It's a risky one, if it comes off then great, if not...

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 24 Jan 2022 02:17

YorkshireRoyal99 Apparently we have lodged an official bid to take Karl-Jakob Hein on loan until the end of the season. As much as recent games think we could probably use someone more experienced than Southwood, it seems very risky to go for someone younger, with limited experience (despite his International caps) and a relative unknown. It's a risky one, if it comes off then great, if not...

Sounds like a vote of no confidence to LS if true. I'd rather see us strengthen elsewhere tbh.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 24 Jan 2022 04:01

Isn't that vulture Kia heavily involved with Arsenal ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2022 06:56

Much as I like and want Southwood to do well, his recent mistakes have cost us really badly

Wouldn’t be against bringing someone else in, but an even younger keeper with less experience doesn’t make sense

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 08:33

Given our recent benches, this can only be to sit on it for us.

Southwood has produced 2 or 3 times the great saves he's made errors and on the whole has been very good.

I don't even really consider the last one an error, more a freak event.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:09

I think Southwood has struggled with the team this month making a few uncharacteristic errors that have lead to goals conceded such as Derby and on Saturday. Hein might be a decent back up option, or potentially a starter, given he's an International player, but given his lack of experience I couldn't be certain as to which he would be and I don't see how he would be any better than what Southwood already is.

All things considered, I'd rather us look for someone like Martinez, older and more experienced with good quality as opposed to a young goalkeeper wanting minutes to prove himself.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:27

Incredible that a keeper who has conceded 17 goals in the last 6 games still has the level of support he is getting.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2022 09:33

paultheroyal Incredible that a keeper who has conceded 17 goals in the last 6 games still has the level of support he is getting.

While there is that, I don't think he can be blamed for all 17. Certainly the 1st and 4th on Saturday and the two against Luton he could do nothing with. Hard to keep every shot out while the back 4/5 is a total shambles.

He has had quite a few mistakes over the last few weeks though, which is slightly concerning.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Jan 2022 09:33

paultheroyal Incredible that a keeper who has conceded 17 goals in the last 6 games still has the level of support he is getting.

You'll have to go back and tell me which were his fault because from memory you could maybe pin 2 or 3 on him but he has been really let down by shoddy defending.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:36

Not to mention teams are having 10+ shots every game that we have played, in the league anyway, for the majority of this month. Conceding 4 goals, or 17 in 6 games, will always reflect poorly on the goalkeeper, but if the team have conceded likely ~80 shots during those 6 games, it's not actually as bad as it might seem.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 09:38

tidus_mi2

You'll have to go back and tell me which were his fault because from memory you could maybe pin 2 or 3 on him but he has been really let down by shoddy defending.

There are mistakes and then there are goals, from a shot, a cross where better footwork, judgement, leads to saves.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2022 09:41

Snowflake Royal Given our recent benches, this can only be to sit on it for us.

Southwood has produced 2 or 3 times the great saves he's made errors and on the whole has been very good.

I don't even really consider the last one an error, more a freak event.

I do not see any way that Arsenal will send us a keeper to be #2, might as well stay and play u23s with them. If he comes, there will be an expectation that he gets a decent number of games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 09:43

Yes but he also isn't that good either. He's a good goalkeeper in general, but he isn't that good either. Plenty of room for development yet, but pretty solid in itself and, as I say, when we've probably conceded close to 100 shots in this month's worth of fixtures, conceding 17 wouldn't sound that bad in that context either. The mistakes are down to him, mistakes happen he's a young and inexperienced goalkeeper all things considered, but he's still pretty good.

He probably would benefit from 6 months competing for a place and learning off a more experienced goalkeeper for the remainder of the season and we go again next season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 10:18

paultheroyal
tidus_mi2

There are mistakes and then there are goals, from a shot, a cross where better footwork, judgement, leads to saves.

Clueless

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jan 2022 10:30

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
tidus_mi2 You'll have to go back and tell me which were his fault because from memory you could maybe pin 2 or 3 on him but he has been really let down by shoddy defending.

Clueless

Bit harsh on Southwood saying that, dont think he's clueless, would question the coaching he is receiving.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2022 12:38

Hendo

While there is that, I don't think he can be blamed for all 17. Certainly the 1st and 4th on Saturday and the two against Luton he could do nothing with. Hard to keep every shot out while the back 4/5 is a total shambles.

He has had quite a few mistakes over the last few weeks though, which is slightly concerning.

Would be wary of just blaming the back 4/5 as well though. Whilst Holmes and Southwood, in particular, have struggled in recent weeks, if you constantly allow the opponents to dominate, get crosses in etc, then you’re obviously more prone to making mistakes. Look how easily Luton and Huddersfield walked through our midfield

I just don’t think the personnel in defence matters at the moment. We started the season off blaming Rafael, Moore and to a lesser extent Morrison. Southwood and Holmes are now getting a fair amount of criticism. Ashcroft and Bristow struggled on Wednesday but then we conceded four with Yiadom and Rahman on Saturday

Whilst I think the defence and GK should be doing better, until we sort out the structure and tactics of the whole team, I don’t see much changing

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 12:41

That's also true regarding selection and getting players back in correct positions and playing consistently. I think if we can get Rino and Laurent playing consistently in that role again then we should be fine really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 12:41

URZZZZ
Hendo

Would be wary of just blaming the back 4/5 as well though. Whilst Holmes and Southwood, in particular, have struggled in recent weeks, if you constantly allow the opponents to dominate, get crosses in etc, then you’re obviously more prone to making mistakes. Look how easily Luton and Huddersfield walked through our midfield

I just don’t think the personnel in defence matters at the moment. We started the season off blaming Rafael, Moore and to a lesser extent Morrison. Southwood and Holmes are now getting a fair amount of criticism. Ashcroft and Bristow struggled on Wednesday but then we conceded four with Yiadom and Rahman on Saturday

Whilst I think the defence and GK should be doing better, until we sort out the structure and tactics of the whole team, I don’t see much changing

Preach.

401 posts