January Window

401 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: January Window

by NathStPaul » 25 Jan 2022 12:59

Hound
NathStPaul
linkenholtroyal Charlie Goode, Is being offered out on loan by Brentford, apparently a few championship clubs interested, Might make sense as we are just down the road from Brentford that this might be the one we are looking at.

Would be a Goode signing imo, just what we need.

6ft 5. New keeper is 6ft 4. Suspect if this is the case, Pauno thinks the lack of height at the back is partly why we’re so susceptible to crosses. Possibly right

Tom Holmes definitely needs a rest, not sure he is a long term solution tbh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2022 13:09

Hound
NathStPaul
linkenholtroyal Charlie Goode, Is being offered out on loan by Brentford, apparently a few championship clubs interested, Might make sense as we are just down the road from Brentford that this might be the one we are looking at.

6ft 5. New keeper is 6ft 4. Suspect if this is the case, Pauno thinks the lack of height at the back is partly why we’re so susceptible to crosses. Possibly right

More height at the back would definitely be a good move - don't know much about Goode to be honest be see he has started a few PL games this year so must have something about him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Jan 2022 13:30

Goode also has a long throw on him as well, would be useful if we were to have Carroll on the pitch should he sign. I'd quite like him in general anyway as he's seemed solid in the few PL games he's had during this season as well and would actually be a sensible loan signing for ourselves for the next 6 months.

What I'd give to have Matt Miazga back at these times as well...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2022 13:56

Hound
NathStPaul

Interesting you mention that, I did think against Luton that we have a very small team in comparison to them. Was quite obvious at corners and FKs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2022 14:00

Hendo
Hound
NathStPaul Would be a Goode signing imo, just what we need.

Interesting you mention that, I did think against Luton that we have a very small team in comparison to them. Was quite obvious at corners and FKs.

Noticed teams definitely targeting Southwood at set pieces - either over his head to the back post, or putting players on him and aiming basically towards them

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2022 14:06

Hound
Hendo
Hound

Noticed teams definitely targeting Southwood at set pieces - either over his head to the back post, or putting players on him and aiming basically towards them

Indeed and it is something he can absolutely work on between now and next season.

Obviously totally different level of player, but De Gea was absolutely abysmal at that sort of thing when he first joined Utd, took him a while but it massively improved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2022 18:00

Hound
NathStPaul

I think it has more to do with the utter chaos our defensive set up is.

It's not like we're being out jumped. It's free headers and unmarked shots every where in our box.

I can kinda see the logic in that Moore's been sent to pasture, McIntyre is always injured, Holmes is struggling, Dann is bang average and Morro struggled early on.

We desperately need some pace. Moore isn't quick, but he makes the others look like they're wearing concrete boots.

Quicker CBs = higher line = pushed up midfield = easier link to attack.

Not that it would matter as we'd still have them playing tippy tappy on our 18 yard box with the keeper.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jan 2022 07:55

My neighbour who supports Northampton reckons we should sign Charlie Goode. I have seen his name mentioned on here earlier. He says he’s a fantastic leader, organiser and good on the ball. I guess we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages unless Brentford help us out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2022 13:38

blythspartan My neighbour who supports Northampton reckons we should sign Charlie Goode. I have seen his name mentioned on here earlier. He says he’s a fantastic leader, organiser and good on the ball. I guess we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages unless Brentford help us out.

If not now then maybe a loan in the summer. For the record he’s around 26 I think and hails from Watford. Won player of the year at Northampton as well but not had too a good time of it at Brentford due to an illness last season and a hamstring injury recently.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Jan 2022 16:52

Sutekh
blythspartan My neighbour who supports Northampton reckons we should sign Charlie Goode. I have seen his name mentioned on here earlier. He says he’s a fantastic leader, organiser and good on the ball. I guess we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages unless Brentford help us out.

If not now then maybe a loan in the summer. For the record he’s around 26 I think and hails from Watford. Won player of the year at Northampton as well but not had too a good time of it at Brentford due to an illness last season and a hamstring injury recently.

A minor injury would be acceptable for anyone else, but kryptonite for us!

Despite that, I'd be all in favour for him, I'm not sure how concerned Brentford would be providing we were to subsidise part of his wages for the remaining of the season and I can't imagine his wages will be massive either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 17:11

SSN just reported us having an interest in Liverpool cb Rhys Williams. 20 y/o been on loan at Swansea, but not played much. 6ft 5

Again an odd one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 17:23

Hound SSN just reported us having an interest in Liverpool cb Rhys Williams. 20 y/o been on loan at Swansea, but not played much. 6ft 5

Again an odd one

Is it me or does it smack of desperate panic?

How many defenders and goalkeepers do we have to throw at our goals conceded problem before we maybe consider it might be the training, tactics and midfield that's the real issue here.

So far we've played
Southwood
Cabral
Yiadom
Holmes
Araruna
Ashcroft
Tetek
Rinomhota
Stickland
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Dann
Laurent
Bristow
Rahman

At the back. That's 14 defenders and 2 goalkeepers

I think it might not be the players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2022 17:31

I’m sure he’ll become a great player in time, but throwing an inexperienced 20 year old into a champ relegation battle doesn’t sound clever. Along with a 19 year old keeper. Very odd. Back in august maybe

Obvs sounds like sheff utd or staying at Liverpool are more likely anyway

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jan 2022 17:34

Snowflake Royal
Hound SSN just reported us having an interest in Liverpool cb Rhys Williams. 20 y/o been on loan at Swansea, but not played much. 6ft 5

Again an odd one

How many defenders and goalkeepers do we have to throw at our goals conceded problem before we maybe consider it might be the training, tactics and midfield that's the real issue here.

So far we've played
Southwood
Cabral
Yiadom
Holmes
Araruna
Ashcroft
Tetek
Rinomhota
Stickland
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Dann
Laurent
Bristow
Rahman

I mean, we've not played that many defenders due to tactics, rotation or loss of form, it's primarily been injuries or other absences.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2022 17:42

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal

Again an odd one

So far we've played
Southwood
Cabral
Yiadom
Holmes
Araruna
Ashcroft
Tetek
Rinomhota
Stickland
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Dann
Laurent
Bristow
Rahman

I mean, we've not played that many defenders due to tactics, rotation or loss of form, it's primarily been injuries or other absences.

Sorry, misunderstanding. Not saying that number is due to the tactics or management choices. I'm saying if that number all struggle, perhaps the problem isn't the defenders. So getting yet more defenders won't help.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2022 17:47

Hound I’m sure he’ll become a great player in time, but throwing an inexperienced 20 year old into a champ relegation battle doesn’t sound clever. Along with a 19 year old keeper. Very odd. Back in august maybe

Obvs sounds like sheff utd or staying at Liverpool are more likely anyway

He was very poor at Swansea. Really struggled.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jan 2022 19:44

Again an odd one

I hope this won’t happen as by all accounts he isn’t ready for the Championship. He hasn’t been getting any plaudits at Swansea.

I have been trying to remember the name of the rubbish central defender we signed from Spurs a few years ago his name completely eludes me.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Jan 2022 20:54

blythspartan

Again an odd one

I hope this won’t happen as by all accounts he isn’t ready for the Championship. He hasn’t been getting any plaudits at Swansea.

I have been trying to remember the name of the rubbish central defender we signed from Spurs a few years ago his name completely eludes me.

Khumalo?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jan 2022 22:02

KC Royal
blythspartan

Again an odd one

Khumalo?

Cheers that’s him

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 08:57

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal Is it me or does it smack of desperate panic?

So far we've played
Southwood
Cabral
Yiadom
Holmes
Araruna
Ashcroft
Tetek
Rinomhota
Stickland
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Dann
Laurent
Bristow
Rahman

Sorry, misunderstanding. Not saying that number is due to the tactics or management choices. I'm saying if that number all struggle, perhaps the problem isn't the defenders. So getting yet more defenders won't help.

I can understand that but I suppose you've also got to look at how many times we've been able to field a strong back 4 this season and how consistently as well. I can't think of many times this season where we've had the same back 4 playing for 2+ games at a time.

I do agree that we play in a way that doesn't suit our defenders but possibly bringing in other options who may be more suited to our style might help us in that aspect as well.

401 posts