New GK

541 posts
PATRIQT

Re: New GK

by PATRIQT » 12 Jun 2022 17:02

Rather we had Joanna Lumley in goal. He gives me the Simon Sheppard's!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Jun 2022 17:02

Pepe the Horseman
South Coast Royal I guess Warnock would have had him at QPR and at Middlesboro and played him.
Regardless of any views on Warnock and his behaviour I would think that he is not a bad judge of a player so , on that basis, I wouldn't be against this move.

He didn't make his QPR debut until 2016. Warnock left in 2012.

Oh well, somebody at QPR must have told him about the player for him to take him to 'Boro. :wink:
Is it really 10 years since Warnock was at QPR?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2022 17:43

Worth a punt in the non-league circles?

Sam Johnson (FC Halfax), Danny Lewis (Brackley Town) and Ben Dudzinski (oxf*rd City) all got rave revues and awards last season.

It”s just a question….it might be my misconception but….if a keeper is a decent keeper…(his game is a limited participation) then he could be good at almost any level??

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jun 2022 19:21

AthleticoSpizz Worth a punt in the non-league circles?

Sam Johnson (FC Halfax), Danny Lewis (Brackley Town) and Ben Dudzinski (oxf*rd City) all got rave revues and awards last season.

It”s just a question….it might be my misconception but….if a keeper is a decent keeper…(his game is a limited participation) then he could be good at almost any level??

Rather keep Southwood and Andresson than gamble on someone from the lower leagues.

I don't think it bears up that if a keeper is good at one level they’re good at many , or we wouldn’t be saying Southwood isn’t good enough.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jun 2022 19:34

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal Much as I hate to agree with OMA after that, he has a point.

Three of Reading's four keepers last season were in the top ten keepers by number of saves made a game. Lumley was 53rd with less than 2 a game.

Boro conceded less than 10 shots a game to our 14+, we were at opposite ends of the table in that and other respects.

Put Lumley into last year's Reading side and the chances of him keeping anywhere near that many clean sheets are slim to say the least.

Certainly not reason to write him off, but he also won’t do just because Boro had a good defence and midfield protecting him

After what?

For some reason, I read it as unnecessarily snarky. Reading it again, it isn’t. Maybe its because stranded is just so damn nice. Probably just me being stoopid

Anyhoo apologies.,

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 19:35

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul

Three of Reading's four keepers last season were in the top ten keepers by number of saves made a game. Lumley was 53rd with less than 2 a game.

Boro conceded less than 10 shots a game to our 14+, we were at opposite ends of the table in that and other respects.

Put Lumley into last year's Reading side and the chances of him keeping anywhere near that many clean sheets are slim to say the least.

Certainly not reason to write him off, but he also won’t do just because Boro had a good defence and midfield protecting him

After what?

For some reason, I read it as unnecessarily snarky. Reading it again, it isn’t. Maybe its because stranded is just so damn nice. Probably just me being stoopid

Anyhoo apologies.,

No not at all but due to my history of snarkiness it's understandable. :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jun 2022 19:36

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul After what?

Anyhoo apologies.,

I may have been projecting. Also, it was what I was thinking but blunter. :lol:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Jun 2022 19:37

PATRIQT Rather we had Joanna Lumley in goal. He gives me the Simon Sheppard's!

Know the feeling. Southwood gives me the Nick Colgans.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jun 2022 19:41

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal For some reason, I read it as unnecessarily snarky. Reading it again, it isn’t. Maybe its because stranded is just so damn nice. Probably just me being stoopid

Anyhoo apologies.,

So nice to see you guys getting along x

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 19:43

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul No not at all but due to my history of snarkiness it's understandable. :D

I'll always love you more x

Until you leave me. They always leave me....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2022 19:51

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul

After what?

Anyhoo apologies.,
:lol: hell…has finally frozen over

Ian, are you ok :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jun 2022 20:17

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal I may have been projecting. Also, it was what I was thinking but blunter. :lol:

I'll always love you more x

Until you leave me. They always leave me....

Six weeks and counting...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jun 2022 20:35

Honestly don’t know a thing about Lumley, didn’t even recognise the name despite him playing regularly last year

Doesn’t exactly come recommended if crappy Twitter is anything to go by but would of course give him a chance

Do want us to be signing some people soon tbh, even if it’s existing players signing new contracts. Pre season starts next week

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jun 2022 20:43

On our budget, we have took outside of the box (no pun).

SSC went for a fourth choice keeper……and got it right.

‘Keepers are in a different league’ outfield players need credentials obvs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jun 2022 21:14

NathStPaul
Stranded Lumley kept 13 clean sheets last year. He'll do.

Because clean sheets are always down to the goalkeeper?

Of course not but shows he is part if a unit that can keep them regularly. He's nowhere near as bad as people want to make out he is.

We have a decent record at bringing in unheralded keepers and them doing alright.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 21:23

Stranded
NathStPaul
Stranded Lumley kept 13 clean sheets last year. He'll do.

Because clean sheets are always down to the goalkeeper?

Of course not but shows he is part if a unit that can keep them regularly. He's nowhere near as bad as people want to make out he is.

We have a decent record at bringing in unheralded keepers and them doing alright.

I've seen him on countless ocassions, he's not the best in my opinion but each to their own. He's not someone I'd want in a struggling side, fills me with worry.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jun 2022 21:41

Lumley is ok, not outstanding, but got a good amount of experience at this level, although I admit he wouldn't look out of place (in a good way) in League One sides fighting for promotion. I'd rather him than Southwood, although he's not a major upgrade on him.

I don't think he will lose us more than points than he wins us, but I would back him to earn us more points than what either Southwood or Nyland would have done as well. I don't think he would be the difference to us staying up or going down, individually, either way.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 12 Jun 2022 23:25

YorkshireRoyal99 Lumley is ok.

Boro fans disagree. He sounds like an absolute nightmare, and in no way an improvement on Southwood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jun 2022 08:13

AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul After what?

Anyhoo apologies.,
:lol: hell…has finally frozen over

Ian, are you ok :shock:

You should pay more attention, happens regularly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jun 2022 08:17

YorkshireRoyal99 Lumley is ok, not outstanding, but got a good amount of experience at this level, although I admit he wouldn't look out of place (in a good way) in League One sides fighting for promotion. I'd rather him than Southwood, although he's not a major upgrade on him.

I don't think he will lose us more than points than he wins us, but I would back him to earn us more points than what either Southwood or Nyland would have done as well. I don't think he would be the difference to us staying up or going down, individually, either way.

Give me our own product likely to improve, who is likely to be cheaper over a middling keeper who probably isn’t going to improve a lot and is already at champ wages.

But there's not a lot in it.

541 posts