New GK

541 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New GK

by windermereROYAL » 15 Mar 2022 09:02

3rd goal Saturday wasn`t even in the corner, he just dived over it, any championship keeper should be saving that, i think that`s about 4 i can think of off the top of my head that he`s been accountable for.
Really needs a rest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Mar 2022 12:32

windermereROYAL 3rd goal Saturday wasn`t even in the corner, he just dived over it, any championship keeper should be saving that, i think that`s about 4 i can think of off the top of my head that he`s been accountable for.
Really needs a rest.

I think for his own confidence, he probably needs to sit on the bench for the rest of the year and come back in pre-season fresh and depending on if/who we sign go into that as #1.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Mar 2022 13:02

No chance, he just isn't good enough. Not sure what more evidence you need of that?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Mar 2022 13:59

At the moment, he looks a keeper who could be a fair to middling Championship keeper but has literally zero confidence.

If that returns, he could be fine. If not, he'll likely end up at Walsall in a couple of years.

No disrespect to Walsall there, just using them as a standard mediocre L2 club.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2022 14:26

NathStPaul No chance, he just isn't good enough. Not sure what more evidence you need of that?

For starters, a club/team that isn’t a complete shambles from top to bottom. A team that has more competent players ahead of him

He was more than fine when he first came in. Mentioned it before but the psychological impacts of a GK far outweigh any other position as there’s little room for error. With the team being as poor as it is, there’s very little room for respite to gain confidence back

Agreed with Stranded that he should be taken out the team now and start afresh in the summer, we’ve seen signs that he can do a job here

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Mar 2022 14:28

URZZZZ
NathStPaul No chance, he just isn't good enough. Not sure what more evidence you need of that?

For starters, a club/team that isn’t a complete shambles from top to bottom. A team that has more competent players ahead of him

He was more than fine when he first came in. Mentioned it before but the psychological impacts of a GK far outweigh any other position as there’s little room for error. With the team being as poor as it is, there’s very little room for respite to gain confidence back

Agreed with Stranded that he should be taken out the team now and start afresh in the summer, we’ve seen signs that he can do a job here

LOL.

He isn't good enough. You know that deep down, you're an intelligent person. Stop making excuses for him just because he is an academy graduate.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Mar 2022 14:28

I think, arguably, Andresson has also gone through a similar experience at Walsall, in a team struggling near the bottom, conceding far too many goals and eventually got dropped.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2022 14:34

I'd quite like to see him play behind a somewhat competent defence which isn't allowing an average of 7 shots on target a game over the last 10 games.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2022 14:36

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

LOL.

He isn't good enough. You know that deep down, you're an intelligent person. Stop making excuses for him just because he is an academy graduate.

I think it’s hard to argue against any of these three points here though. That:

1. He did look more than competent for the first couple of months
2. As a GK, you’re afforded less mistakes and it plays more on your mind than any other position
3. The rest of the team is a complete and utter shambles

Btw him being from the academy has no bearing on my thoughts. I’d like to think we show players who have shown signs of promise a bit of patience, irrespective of where they’ve come from

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Mar 2022 14:52

tidus_mi2 I think, arguably, Andresson has also gone through a similar experience at Morecambe, in a team struggling near the bottom, conceding far too many goals and eventually got dropped.
cfy
:wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2022 17:39

paultheroyal Thats Southwood done for sure. Not commanding enough which could of led to 2 goals at least close to being preventable and at fault for their 3rd. We wont see him again this season now.

If Hein had put in the exact same performance you'd be saying he was unsighted for the third, the defence was a shambles for the crosses and he pulled off two great saves to prevent goals.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Mar 2022 09:13

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal Thats Southwood done for sure. Not commanding enough which could of led to 2 goals at least close to being preventable and at fault for their 3rd. We wont see him again this season now.

If Hein had put in the exact same performance you'd be saying he was unsighted for the third, the defence was a shambles for the crosses and he pulled off two great saves to prevent goals.

i call it like i see it, bit like you, but 9 times out of ten i am right and you are woefully wrong.

Southwood is done barring injury to our new number 1.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Mar 2022 16:43

I have my doubts that Southwood will ever establish himself as our No1 keeper. He's 24 and prior to season had 16 starts in League football. He's spent the last few years being offered 1 year or 1+1 contracts which suggests the club aren't convinced. In his first start for us he threw away 2pts in a nothing game through lack of concentration and barring a honeymoon period when he first got in this season, he's looked unconvincing, including big mistakes against relegation rivals (Hull and Derby).

I appreciate that the defence in front of him is poor but he's directly accountable for too many mistakes to be relied upon as a first choice option going forward.

I know its only 1 game but Nyland looked decent against Bournemouth and I wouldn't be averse to making him a longer term offer. He's got experience at a good level.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Mar 2022 17:41

Early doors with Nyland obvs, but I always think back to when we first brought Marcus in on loan (Fulhams 4th choice keeper at the time), it all gelled from there forth iirc, and we signed him on a permanent, could be a bit of history repeating itself?….would be nice…..confidence (and maybe character) from our last line of defence.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Mar 2022 19:23

From Despair To Where? I have my doubts that Southwood will ever establish himself as our No1 keeper. He's 24 and prior to season had 16 starts in League football. He's spent the last few years being offered 1 year or 1+1 contracts which suggests the club aren't convinced. In his first start for us he threw away 2pts in a nothing game through lack of concentration and barring a honeymoon period when he first got in this season, he's looked unconvincing, including big mistakes against relegation rivals (Hull and Derby).

I appreciate that the defence in front of him is poor but he's directly accountable for too many mistakes to be relied upon as a first choice option going forward.

I know its only 1 game but Nyland looked decent against Bournemouth and I wouldn't be averse to making him a longer term offer. He's got experience at a good level.

Agree with this.

On Quest last night, Sam Parkin named Nyland as being one of the reasons ('so many talented players') behind him thinking that positive things would start to happen for us now

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Mar 2022 20:32

PATRIQT

He hasn't got the best of attitudes either, so his nose will have been put completely out this season. He still hasn't grown up, and loves giving it the big one in the bars rather than on the pitch. He and Danny Drinkwater are like two peas in a pod.

Where have you heard this from?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Mar 2022 20:55

Jagermesiter1871
PATRIQT

He hasn't got the best of attitudes either, so his nose will have been put completely out this season. He still hasn't grown up, and loves giving it the big one in the bars rather than on the pitch. He and Danny Drinkwater are like two peas in a pod.

Tilehurst gossip girls

Tbf wasn’t Ashdown (or some other gk local) a little bit that way inclined?

(apologies to Ashdown if incorrect…which it possibly is…there were two Tilehurst brothers one a gk one an outfield player on Readings books….who had ‘attitude’ apparently, one went to Leeds, but one did ok whilst one dissolved into non-league…or not) the memory fades

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Mar 2022 21:15

AthleticoSpizz
Jagermesiter1871
PATRIQT

Tilehurst gossip girls

Tbf wasn’t Ashdown (or some other gk local) a little bit that way inclined?

(apologies to Ashdown if incorrect…which it possibly is…there were two Tilehurst brothers one a gk one an outfield player on Readings books….who had ‘attitude’ apparently, one went to Leeds, but one did ok whilst one dissolved into non-league…or not) the memory fades

Shaun Allaway. Joined Leeds and was never heard of again.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Mar 2022 21:27

That's the rumour I heard. Allaway was giving it all the "I'm a Premier League player" whilst the reality was that the highlight of his career was warming the bench on loan to Grimsby.

Last seen coaching at Thatcham Town.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Mar 2022 01:14

Southwood is clearly just not good enough. Nyland so far looks solid, a good save.

However I’m going to stick my neck out and say I think he could have come out for that goal against Bournemouth, can’t work out why he stayed pretty much on his line even with other striker near him. So don’t go expecting a hero just yet however much we all want to believe, as we did with Southwood.

Still looks better than Southwood though.

541 posts