Rumour - Ruel Sotiriou

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Ruel Sotiriou

by morganb » 09 Apr 2022 11:41

Reading are showing an interest in Leyton Orient forward Ruel Sotiriou whose contract runs out this summer.

https://t.co/ljtKmN1ggp

14 goals since joining Leyton Orient back in 2017 and would be a free agent.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Ruel Sotiriou

by Brogue » 09 Apr 2022 12:15

21 years old and 8 goals in 29 which is 1 in 3 and a 1/2 games. He seems to have established himself in the first team after a few short terms loans to find his feet. I Know, nothing about this guy, but these rumours are encouraging, what with the chesterfield guy too. A shift (admittedly enforced) to looking in the lower leagues for young hungry talent rather than bringing in these expensive no marks from abroad. More of this please Reading. It’s who we are. I suppose we need another striker regardless, but what does this say for Clarkes future if we are looking to bring in lower/non league strikers.
Last edited by Brogue on 09 Apr 2022 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Apr 2022 12:21

Yeah prob the market we are looking in

We need to make ourselves as attractive as possible to these type of players - hopefully the training ground, good chance of first team football will help do that

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Apr 2022 13:03

What it says about Clarke is he needs to improve, work hard and fight for his place. He’s not ready to play 40 games in the Championship and ideally needs to go out on loan for a year and see if he can cut it in men’s football. If he can learn the game and keep growing he could be a useful addition to the first team squad but currently he’s not near to being a starter. IMHO.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Apr 2022 13:33

These sorts of deals, particularly at L2 level would work well with Clarke going the other way on a year loan to get some first team experience and goals at a lower level.

We're not going to be expecting these sorts of signings to play 40 games either.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Apr 2022 20:05

Snowflake Royal These sorts of deals, particularly at L2 level would work well with Clarke going the other way on a year loan to get some first team experience and goals at a lower level.

We're not going to be expecting these sorts of signings to play 40 games either.

Exactly what I was thinking! Send Clarke out for some proper game time. Ideally to a team pushing for promotion, and get him going!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2022 20:49

Is this guy a better bet than a certain Sam Smith who we let go a couple of years ago?

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 21 Apr 2022 09:11

It doesn't really say anything about Clarke. Puscas is leaving, and don't be surprised to see Joao go too. He's a big earner and we have another season under this embargo. Many will leave this summer being OOC and some that want to go too, as well as some we need to get off the books. Clarke has a great opportunity next season even if only 4th choice. He'll play a part almost certainly.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 21 Apr 2022 09:50

Zip Is this guy a better bet than a certain Sam Smith who we let go a couple of years ago?

That kind of situation is always interesting, as I always thought Smith had something about him. It can be difficult for young players to step into a team who are not doing well, and when he was coming through I seem to recall we were not doing well or creating many chances. It can be hard for a striker to make his mark in that kind of environment.

I'm happy for him that he's gone somewhere to play regularly, and is scoring goals. The same way I'm happy for Dickie, Stacey, Jake Cooper etc. who left and have gone on to carve careers for themselves.

The other thing to consider is some players won't want to stay, especially going into their 20s, so end up being 'released' as they want to find a club to play at, so won't sign a contract. Southwood could be looking at doing the same at the end of this season if we sign Nyland long-term, especially as he's getting into the NI squad.

I know nothing about this lad from Orient, but a punt on a youngster who could well be hungry to improve and take his chance is something I always welcome. Got a great name as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Apr 2022 09:56

JedMaxwell
Zip Is this guy a better bet than a certain Sam Smith who we let go a couple of years ago?

That kind of situation is always interesting, as I always thought Smith had something about him. It can be difficult for young players to step into a team who are not doing well, and when he was coming through I seem to recall we were not doing well or creating many chances. It can be hard for a striker to make his mark in that kind of environment.

I'm happy for him that he's gone somewhere to play regularly, and is scoring goals. The same way I'm happy for Dickie, Stacey, Jake Cooper etc. who left and have gone on to carve careers for themselves.

The other thing to consider is some players won't want to stay, especially going into their 20s, so end up being 'released' as they want to find a club to play at, so won't sign a contract. Southwood could be looking at doing the same at the end of this season if we sign Nyland long-term, especially as he's getting into the NI squad.

I know nothing about this lad from Orient, but a punt on a youngster who could well be hungry to improve and take his chance is something I always welcome. Got a great name as well.

Yep this is the sort of signing that is low risk but with potential high reward.
On Smith I think it was under Clement that he played a few times. We were barely creating any chances. He had a great attitude and it’s really good to see him doing so well in League One. Cambridge would get a decent fee for him now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2022 10:27

Presumably Smith isn't out of contract in the summer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Apr 2022 10:49

The only thing I've got against this is that he doesn't have a particularly good record for the division he is playing in, granted he is only young and there is potential there I suppose, so it's a pretty low risk signing all things considered, particularly on a free and his wages will be low.

Agree that we do need to get back to poaching young, hungry talents from the lower leagues as well as loans/releases from the PL/Championship as well, as that's where we've managed to get the most success from our signings. Hopefully we can use the loan market successfully next season with some decent talents as well as pick up some players from the lower leagues that can flourish with us in this division.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Apr 2022 10:58

Weymouth Royal It doesn't really say anything about Clarke. Puscas is leaving, and don't be surprised to see Joao go too. He's a big earner and we have another season under this embargo. Many will leave this summer being OOC and some that want to go too, as well as some we need to get off the books. Clarke has a great opportunity next season even if only 4th choice. He'll play a part almost certainly.

If Clarke is the man for next season how come it's been Kelvin E on the bench in recent games? Clarke scored in the B and B Cup recently so I don't think he is injured at the moment.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 21 Apr 2022 14:22

morganb
Weymouth Royal It doesn't really say anything about Clarke. Puscas is leaving, and don't be surprised to see Joao go too. He's a big earner and we have another season under this embargo. Many will leave this summer being OOC and some that want to go too, as well as some we need to get off the books. Clarke has a great opportunity next season even if only 4th choice. He'll play a part almost certainly.

If Clarke is the man for next season how come it's been Kelvin E on the bench in recent games? Clarke scored in the B and B Cup recently so I don't think he is injured at the moment.

With the pressure we've been under to get results it's not the time to give a young lad game time. You pick your best at every opportunity.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Apr 2022 15:11

There was some slight murmur from Ince about attitude when discussing Clarke. Quickly followed by ‘I’m not talking about Clarke specifically’ or something similar

Suspect he just feels Ehib just a bit more mature at the moment

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Apr 2022 15:24

Apparently we are looking at Elliot Anderson, on loan at Bristol Rovers from Newcastle, as a target for next season as well. A lot of these rumours recently seem to be pointing towards a change in strategy at the club.

I just hope we don't get it wrong and end up doing an Ipswich.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Apr 2022 08:23

YorkshireRoyal99 Apparently we are looking at Elliot Anderson, on loan at Bristol Rovers from Newcastle, as a target for next season as well. A lot of these rumours recently seem to be pointing towards a change in strategy at the club.

Bringing in young players with potential is the way forward but we will absolutely have to reinforce that with experience either by re-signing those OOC players who want to stay or bringing in some experienced frees.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Apr 2022 08:56

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 Apparently we are looking at Elliot Anderson, on loan at Bristol Rovers from Newcastle, as a target for next season as well. A lot of these rumours recently seem to be pointing towards a change in strategy at the club.

Bringing in young players with potential is the way forward but we will absolutely have to reinforce that with experience either by re-signing those OOC players who want to stay or bringing in some experienced frees.

I can imagine plenty of our players will be interested once we confirm our survival and I think we'd be able to tie down 4/5 at least as it is anyway and there should be plenty of decent free agents moving around in the summer from clubs as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2022 10:00

I’m always slightly surprised we haven’t tapped up Chelsea for youngsters on loan being as we seem to have a decent relationship with them

Can only think of Piazon in recent times. Great to get the likes of Miazga and Baba, but be nice to uncover the next Tammy Abraham or Reece James instead

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Apr 2022 11:14

Hound I’m always slightly surprised we haven’t tapped up Chelsea for youngsters on loan being as we seem to have a decent relationship with them

Can only think of Piazon in recent times. Great to get the likes of Miazga and Baba, but be nice to uncover the next Tammy Abraham or Reece James instead

There is plenty of talent in the youth ranks of Arsenal & Chelsea, we just never seem to get hold of them. Even the Connor Gallgher's who excelled at both Charlton and Swansea on loan who is now shining in the PL.

There is plenty of talent in both U23 sides who need experience and we should be a pretty good club to come and ply your trade at, considering the games we have and the facilities we have.