Jed Wallace

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Jed Wallace

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 May 2022 10:28

YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG Don’t think there would be anything remotely strange about signing Wallace, other than the fact that he won’t sign for us. If a player like that is available then you make it work. Can see Wallace playing behind the striker if it comes to that.

You're then playing a talented player outside of his best position though. You want your best players in their best positions. That's the only thing that would be strange, we'd have two very good players in Meite and Wallace being most effective in the same position.

Nothing against his ability is strange or the actual signing, just that, out of all the positions we need to fill in the summer, right wing isn't one of them. Unless Ince see's Meite as a back up striker or he leaves in the summer. In which case, if we were to coup a couple of million for him and we signed Wallace on a free, that would represent excellent business.

Dunno how accurate this is, but according to https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10717 ... ed-Wallace most of his appearances this season have been central, and he's only played on the right twice.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 10:51

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
SCIAG Don’t think there would be anything remotely strange about signing Wallace, other than the fact that he won’t sign for us. If a player like that is available then you make it work. Can see Wallace playing behind the striker if it comes to that.

You're then playing a talented player outside of his best position though. You want your best players in their best positions. That's the only thing that would be strange, we'd have two very good players in Meite and Wallace being most effective in the same position.

Nothing against his ability is strange or the actual signing, just that, out of all the positions we need to fill in the summer, right wing isn't one of them. Unless Ince see's Meite as a back up striker or he leaves in the summer. In which case, if we were to coup a couple of million for him and we signed Wallace on a free, that would represent excellent business.

Dunno how accurate this is, but according to https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10717 ... ed-Wallace most of his appearances this season have been central, and he's only played on the right twice.

That's fair enough then if that's the case. I've always seen him as a right winger who comes inside onto his left, if he's playing more centrally and being effective then it would make sense. I don't tend to watch Millwall a great deal to be fair.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 May 2022 11:00

Just seen that this thread started on May the Fourth (Star Wars Day) - perhaps we're actually interested in Jedi Wallace instead?

(I did Google to see what Jed is short for and it's just Jed, though I did notice he has the middle name Fernley so could fit in well doing mascot duties with Kingsley, Queensley and Princely)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 11:01

Think he would do well in the Swift role. If we are allowed to pay him Swift's wages then we have a slight chance of signing him but we have the manager uncertainty along with multiple players leaving that could put a player of his quality off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 11:20

I can't imagine we'd be allowed to pay Swift's wage, or really anything near, and, to be honest, I don't really think I'd want the club to either considering big wages is what has partly got us into this mess anyway.

I think it's just an unrealistic signing all things considered, but if we can pull it off feasibly it's one hell of a coup from us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 May 2022 11:21

NathStPaul Think he would do well in the Swift role. If we are allowed to pay him Swift's wages then we have a slight chance of signing him but we have the manager uncertainty along with multiple players leaving that could put a player of his quality off.

Apparently his current Millwall deal is around 9k pw - so *could* be feasible that we afford him. Depends if the wage cap is that no player can be paid more than 8.5k (or whatever it is) or if it is an average. So if we offer Player A 11k, then that must be balanced by offering another player 5k.

If the latter is viable under the rules, it gives us a little more ability to compete - so probably isn't.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 May 2022 11:25

Stranded
NathStPaul Think he would do well in the Swift role. If we are allowed to pay him Swift's wages then we have a slight chance of signing him but we have the manager uncertainty along with multiple players leaving that could put a player of his quality off.

Apparently his current Millwall deal is around 9k pw - so *could* be feasible that we afford him. Depends if the wage cap is that no player can be paid more than 8.5k (or whatever it is) or if it is an average. So if we offer Player A 11k, then that must be balanced by offering another player 5k.

If the latter is viable under the rules, it gives us a little more ability to compete - so probably isn't.

Yeah we aren't that lucky.

We have the fact he is a local lad and has family in the area in our favour. Worked with his uncle Andy for a few years and he hated moving up north to Wolves when he did according to him. We have been interested in Jed on several occasions according to his uncle.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2022 12:40

NathStPaul
Stranded

Yeah we aren't that lucky.

We have the fact he is a local lad and has family in the area in our favour. Worked with his uncle Andy for a few years and he hated moving up north to Wolves when he did according to him. We have been interested in Jed on several occasions according to his uncle.

It does feel like one of those rumours which gets banded about almost every transfer window. I wanted us to sign him when he left Portsmouth, used to play cricket with a Pompy fan and he used to go on and on about him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 13:07

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 Quite interesting this rumour has come about considering we've got Meite on the right for next season guaranteed, unless he was to be sold over the summer.

I think Meite is seen more as our back up striker at the moment though I think NsP is right that Ince as manager may see us cash in unless he has just been limiting playing time as we don't want him getting injured at the back end of a campaign where we didn't really need him.

Let him fully recover over the summer and have a full pre-season.

Yeah, Meite doesn't seem to get much manager love until he's forced his way into a 5/6 game run and started scoring

Don't see him as suitable competition for Joao. Very very different games

Obviously not going to try to pretend I can say anything is a certainty tho

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 13:14

YorkshireRoyal99

It's back to chasing shiny baubles and unbalancing the squad rather than getting what we actually need. Which always requires quiet hardworkers too.

Ince, Meite, Hoilett, Halilovic, Azeez, Camara, Arsenal kid, Wallace....

Meanwhile obvious gaping hole at LB

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 May 2022 14:01

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It's back to chasing shiny baubles and unbalancing the squad rather than getting what we actually need. Which always requires quiet hardworkers too.

Doesn't only 1 of those you've listed have a contract for next season?

Who is to say they're not pursuing a left back as well, it just hasn't come out yet?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2022 14:06

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Who is to say they're not pursuing a left back as well, it just hasn't come out yet?

Careful, you’ll get a load of abuse for making that very simple and obvious point....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2022 14:23

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

No it here isn’t as apparently Arsenal kid can also play left back

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2022 15:01

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

There is that as well that I didn't actually consider at the time which is fair. Something my come out about that yet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2022 20:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Hendo
Snowflake Royal It's back to chasing shiny baubles and unbalancing the squad rather than getting what we actually need. Which always requires quiet hardworkers too.

There is that as well that I didn't actually consider at the time which is fair. Something my come out about that yet.

Most are out of contract, yes, and I don’t know we aren't also pursuing a LB, but when the same management is running the club, its a fairly safe assumption that nothing has changed from past painful experience. Especially when the first two players linked are for positions we have a plethora of existing decent players we could be offering contracts to retain.

When the club starts getting things right, I'll trust them to keep doing it, as I did with Howe, Hammond and Madejski, but this bunch of clowns have been getting it.wrong for years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2022 20:25

Nameless
Hendo
Snowflake Royal It's back to chasing shiny baubles and unbalancing the squad rather than getting what we actually need. Which always requires quiet hardworkers too.

Careful, you’ll get a load of abuse for making that very simple and obvious point....

There’s another simple and obvious point - there is about as much chance of us signing Wallace than there is of them signing me (for different reasons obvs)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 May 2022 07:12

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hendo

Most are out of contract, yes, and I don’t know we aren't also pursuing a LB, but when the same management is running the club, its a fairly safe assumption that nothing has changed from past painful experience. Especially when the first two players linked are for positions we have a plethora of existing decent players we could be offering contracts to retain.

When the club starts getting things right, I'll trust them to keep doing it, as I did with Howe, Hammond and Madejski, but this bunch of clowns have been getting it.wrong for years.

Maybe the club have already scoped it out and they’ve advised they won’t be staying and they need to move onto other targets?

I know it’s hard to see the club doing something different from previous, but at the moment it’s pure guesswork so let’s just let it all play out a little bit for the time being before stringing them up?

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 06 May 2022 08:43

Good player, an unrealistic option but if we did get him I'd expect him to be used centrally to replace Swift, who I think has earned his move to a better side.

To be honest I'd be pretty worried if we actually did sign him, as I'd immediately think some kind of chicanery was going on at board level.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 May 2022 10:28

JedMaxwell Good player, an unrealistic option but if we did get him I'd expect him to be used centrally to replace Swift, who I think has earned his move to a better side.

To be honest I'd be pretty worried if we actually did sign him, as I'd immediately think some kind of chicanery was going on at board level.

Actually a fair point and I agree, a signing that we shouldn't even be able to make with the levels we've had to reduce to. Would suggest to me we would tell him, sign for x now, we'll boost you to y in 2023.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 06 May 2022 13:00

Would be a good signing , we all agree on that . But maybe we should also consider Charlie Austin ( ex RFC youth) and David Marshall , both released by QPR . and not likely to cost as much .