Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

by morganb » 09 May 2022 11:47

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanl50/ ... 2821557248

Ok, so it's only JLow but:

The summer revamp begins at #readingfc

I understand that former boss Mark Bowen is set to be appointed by the club this week in an executive role

Now, this stems from a statement on the AFC Wimbledon website:

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/202 ... elsewhere/

AFC Wimbledon’s interim first-team manager Mark Bowen has ruled himself out of contention for the permanent manager position.

Mark will be taking a role at a club much higher up the pyramid which will be formally announced next week.

Our interim chair Mick Buckley said: “Mark and his assistant Eddie Niedzwiecki joined us on a temporary basis at a very difficult point in
the season.

“They were excellent to work with, incredibly professional in every area and did everything they possibly could. It's no surprise Mark has
now been appointed to a level of football we simply can’t currently compete against financially.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - The return of Mark Bowen (and Eddie Niedzwiecki?)

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 11:50

we are desperate for a DOF and i think Bowen would be a very good person to bring in to the role. Not sure how Eddie fits in though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 May 2022 11:51

#BowenBack

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 11:58

Tbf Low rarely posts that kind of comment unless it’s happening, so expect it to be true

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 12:06

Hound Tbf Low rarely posts that kind of comment unless it’s happening, so expect it to be true

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 May 2022 12:19

Can help but feel this is JLow putting 2 and 2 together and getting about 12.5 million.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 13:10

Brogue
Hound Tbf Low rarely posts that kind of comment unless it’s happening, so expect it to be true

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure dragging up some retweeted nonsense rumour from about 6 years ago is quite what I meant

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 May 2022 14:35

Sounds too sensible for our owners.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 May 2022 18:06

Millsy Sounds too sensible for our owners.

Indeed why bring back Bowen when there is bound to be an unknown Bulgarian out there somewhere who needs a job.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 May 2022 19:47

I wonder what it means for Ince's future as well.

Seems like a decent enough move for all concerned, during his spell with the club, as a Sporting Director or Manager, we seemed relatively stable as a team, even though our form was very up and down. He understands the situation the club is in as well as knowing a lot of the players here, it could be a good move.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 May 2022 22:55

It’s just laughable isn’t it, if true. I’d have thought he’d have more sense after how Dai treated him last time.

He did a decent job in both roles & we’d likely be a bit higher in the table if we’d kept him in either position.

But it would be a good move & we’ve all been crying out for a DOF; is this the time Dai starts listening to the fans? Hope so

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 May 2022 23:28

Notts Royal
But it would be a good move & we’ve all been crying out for a DOF; is this the time Dai starts listening to the fans? Hope so

Then you would have expected some broad communication from the club at least giving at outline as to what the plans are for the future.

If you find yourself in a hole the first thing you should do is to stop digging.......

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 May 2022 08:10

Lower West
Notts Royal

Then you would have expected some broad communication from the club at least giving at outline as to what the plans are for the future.

If you find yourself in a hole the first thing you should do is to stop digging.......

That may well come when announcements are made but they will likely come from Bowen as that will be part of his remit no doubt.

I am expecting, though also expecting to be disappointed that we will get an announcement/presser on Thursday or Friday where Bowen and Ince are announced.

It feels like a DoF/Tech Director was likely one of the key things Ince wanted to help get the club moving in the right direction, so I think this may well be a step that makes Ince (well both Ince's) stay on for next season.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 May 2022 08:18

I did think after listening to Ince’s interview on BBCRB on Saturday that it sounds as if the club are finally putting a plan in place. Also, his comments about Dai being committed to the club sounded positive. The impression I got was that it would either be him or someone else as manager with a DOF.

I can’t wait to see how this all plays out. Sometimes I think next season will be another relegation scrap but it is possible to turn things around quickly with the right recruitment. I haven’t had a season ticket for a few years now but I am going to get one for next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 May 2022 08:38

blythspartan I did think after listening to Ince’s interview on BBCRB on Saturday that it sounds as if the club are finally putting a plan in place. Also, his comments about Dai being committed to the club sounded positive. The impression I got was that it would either be him or someone else as manager with a DOF.

I can’t wait to see how this all plays out. Sometimes I think next season will be another relegation scrap but it is possible to turn things around quickly with the right recruitment. I haven’t had a season ticket for a few years now but I am going to get one for next season.

Yep this. Looking forward to how the next days/weeks pan out - maybe a plan is finally formulating and the owners know we aren't just going to be able to chuck money at it and hope it all lands one season without planning recruitment well both on and off the pitch - it's not just about who we hire today but having a plan of who our targets for manager could be whenever the next guy moves on.

I am fully expecting a battle for 21st next season but with sensible recruitment (new contracts, loans, frees) and bringing through the right players from the Academy, if we have a good start - then as we saw in VPs first season, you can finish quite high in this division just by being average.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2022 14:09

Stranded
blythspartan I did think after listening to Ince’s interview on BBCRB on Saturday that it sounds as if the club are finally putting a plan in place. Also, his comments about Dai being committed to the club sounded positive. The impression I got was that it would either be him or someone else as manager with a DOF.

Yep this. Looking forward to how the next days/weeks pan out - maybe a plan is finally formulating and the owners know we aren't just going to be able to chuck money at it and hope it all lands one season without planning recruitment well both on and off the pitch - it's not just about who we hire today but having a plan of who our targets for manager could be whenever the next guy moves on.

I am fully expecting a battle for 21st next season but with sensible recruitment (new contracts, loans, frees) and bringing through the right players from the Academy, if we have a good start - then as we saw in VPs first season, you can finish quite high in this division just by being average.

Might the owners have finally “cottoned on” to things by going round the hard way? Shame they couldn’t have just gone about things at a slower pace and taken on board someone who understands the English game when they first came in and the club might well now be at the other end of the table at least.

I’d like to think that that is the case currently and that before it was all simply meant well but totally mis-guided. If MB does return I hope he has a hotline direct to the owners and that he will effectively be their mouthpiece and their face to the fans. More importantly I would hope that generally the owners would completely defer to MB on all football related issues.

Still would appreciate some communication direct from the owners once or twice a season though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2022 16:49

Sutekh
Stranded

Might the owners have finally “cottoned on” to things by going round the hard way? Shame they couldn’t have just gone about things at a slower pace and taken on board someone who understands the English game when they first came in and the club might well now be at the other end of the table at least.

I’d like to think that that is the case currently and that before it was all simply meant well but totally mis-guided. If MB does return I hope he has a hotline direct to the owners and that he will effectively be their mouthpiece and their face to the fans. More importantly I would hope that generally the owners would completely defer to MB on all football related issues.

Still would appreciate some communication direct from the owners once or twice a season though.

They had Howe and got rid of him because he raised problems.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2022 16:54

Sutekh
Stranded

They had Howe and got rid of him because he raised problems. So they had that.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 May 2022 17:37

Would be super happy with this. Bowen will make a very good DoF and lets face it he already knows the club and a lot of the staff and players inside out.
What happened in the past is in the past, its now about what's best for Reading FC and this move would make sense and looks very much like Ince is getting the job!!
The good news out of this is with Stoke releasing Tom Ince i'm confident a deal can be brokered to bring him to the Ding, which would be a great move.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 10 May 2022 22:57

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Stranded

They had Howe and got rid of him because he raised problems. So they had that.

Good points.

The optimistic view is that they are going about it the hard & more gradual way. But then they had that with Bowen previously, and threw that progress away.

Still think Dai has got a hell of a lot of brownie points to make up though