Rumour - Ryan Bennett

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Rumour - Ryan Bennett

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2022 15:01

Wales Online reporting that we are trying to sign the 32 yo centre back from Swansea but WCBAP as he'll need to take a significant pay cut to join to fit in with our budget.

Been told he is free to leave.

Made 18 appearances for Swansea last year.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Ryan Bennett

by South Coast Royal » 21 Jun 2022 15:10

Stranded Wales Online reporting that we are trying to sign the 32 yo centre back from Swansea but WCBAP as he'll need to take a significant pay cut to join to fit in with our budget.

Been told he is free to leave.

Made 18 appearances for Swansea last year.

He rather struggled with Norwich and Wolves mainly in the Premier League so don't know if he still has much to offer being surplus to requirements at Swansea..
A bit slow but this is where we are at with Ince looking to shore up the team with experience rather than bank on younger players improving.

This is going to be a patched-up squad to get us through a season and hope that we don't get relegated despite bookies' expecting us to be in the bottom 3.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2022 15:35

From the quotes in the Wales Online article, seems he was playing pretty well but lost a bit of form and lost his place.

This move only really makes sense if we are convinced Moore will be gone else it seems like too many CBs to me.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Jun 2022 15:36

i guess we need to trust Inces' master plan, but this just doesn't make sense at the moment. we have;

Moore
holmes
tmac
dann
Dorsett
yids can play there at a push

Really don't want a 32-year-old slow center-back coming in and blocking the development of our youngsters.

But then maybe Dorsett goes out on loan and we sell Moore, then we probably do need another. Like i say i guess we just need to trust Ince knows what he's doing

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jun 2022 15:48

Wouldn't make much sense unless Moore is closer to leaving than we think and Dorsett would be allowed to leave on loan. Wouldn't exactly turn my nose up at an experienced CB though to help bolster the squad providing the first 2 happen.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jun 2022 15:50

Being linked to a player doesn’t mean we’ll sign him. I would expect at the moment we have dozens of enquiries out for players. Some will be real targets, others back up options and others just in case we lose a player and need a replacement.
I’d agree that 5 centre backs (plus youngsters) is enough, 6 is one too many

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 21 Jun 2022 16:20

Brogue i guess we need to trust Inces' master plan, but this just doesn't make sense at the moment. we have;

Moore
holmes
tmac
dann
Dorsett
yids can play there at a push

Really don't want a 32-year-old slow center-back coming in and blocking the development of our youngsters.

But then maybe Dorsett goes out on loan and we sell Moore, then we probably do need another. Like i say i guess we just need to trust Ince knows what he's doing

we defo dont want to go in with dorsett as back up and moore is gone, surely,
then Dann is 35...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jun 2022 16:50

Can’t see it happening due to wages. Guess it could be loan with us paying half the wage if they really want rid

Does look a little like we are going for big strong tall defenders and keepers. Little bit more no nonsense

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a more defensive LB come in rather than a Baba type wing back

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 21 Jun 2022 17:17

Beggars can't be choosers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2022 17:26

God no. Even if he's good the last thing we need is yet another slow centreback. Especially an old one.

We need Moore to go and we need a replacement for him, but please god someone capable of running.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jun 2022 18:18

Snowflake Royal God no. Even if he's good the last thing we need is yet another slow centreback. Especially an old one.

We need Moore to go and we need a replacement for him, but please god someone capable of running.

A chap from work who I have gone to watch a few Chesterfield games with when I have been working up there says is dad is a Rochdale season ticket holder and he used to do some scouting for PNE. He really rates Dorsett and believes he’ll go far. Says he’s quick and athletic and his positioning is good for a young player. He sounds promising.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 21 Jun 2022 18:47

Just been watching his video on the club site, the guys looks a beast!! He also won young player of the season award at Dale and is very highly thought of.
This is exactly the sort of player we need and should be working on getting good game time. A core of McIntyre, Holmes and Dorsett as our main group of starters with Dann and maybe one other as backups, maybe even Morrison as a coach/backup would be a good bet.
McIntyre and Holmes are young hungry and will improve after last years tough season, and if we can get a cohesive group of players all pulling in the right direction and playing for each other then we may well get through this season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Jun 2022 12:48

Beggars can’t be choosers, but we’re not begging for a centre back.

Best case I can make for this signing - Moore is leaving, Dann and McIntyre are injury prone, and we probably don’t want to be left with only Holmes, Dorsett, and Abbey.

That being said, we have eight centre backs on the books who have made a first team appearance (above plus Stickland and Holzmann), with Yiadom having played centre back for the first team already. Honestly wouldn’t be looking for another option - four senior players plus a quality youngster should be plenty.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jun 2022 13:11

SCIAG Beggars can’t be choosers, but we’re not begging for a centre back.

Best case I can make for this signing - Moore is leaving, Dann and McIntyre are injury prone, and we probably don’t want to be left with only Holmes, Dorsett, and Abbey.

That being said, we have eight centre backs on the books who have made a first team appearance (above plus Stickland and Holzmann), with Yiadom having played centre back for the first team already. Honestly wouldn’t be looking for another option - four senior players plus a quality youngster should be plenty.

Moore is injured for months,
Dann is still to prove himself

That leaves Holmes as a partner for Dann with Dorsett/Strickland etc. covering

Think McIntyre may well be seen by the management as a central defensive midfielder rather than straight centre back which I can see a valid argument for.

Is Morrison definitely out of the picture now or might he return?

Therefore if all that is where the club is looking to go I can see and argument for another experienced (at this level or higher) central defender.

Really need a bit of pace in there though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Jun 2022 13:29

Sutekh

Think McIntyre may well be seen by the management as a central defensive midfielder rather than straight centre back which I can see a valid argument for.

Therefore if all that is where the club is looking to go I can see and argument for another experienced (at this level or higher) central defender.

I think TMac will be interchanged. He may play at CDM, full back or centre back depending upon injuries and form. We already have Dann, TMac and Holmes signed up for next season. Dorsett is likely to be given a chance at some stage. . If needed Abbey and Stickland may have to step up. Yiadom can play there too. Heavens Moore may return from injury too.

I think we have enough at centre back to get by especially if Dorsett steps up. I would rather we avoided bringing in another slow centre back past his best. We did that with Dann. We don’t need to do it again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jun 2022 13:39

Stranded From the quotes in the Wales Online article, seems he was playing pretty well but lost a bit of form and lost his place.

This move only really makes sense if we are convinced Moore will be gone else it seems like too many CBs to me.

You seriously think Moore will play for us again if he's still here? Honest question, I guess he may under the new management and changes, who knows.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 22 Jun 2022 14:32

Any relation to Alan?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2022 18:10

If we're genuinely planning McIntyre to be a first choice DM based on a couple of decent showings, we might might as well take the season off for a holiday.

I don't think there's any chance of this being the case. For some reason a couple of nobbers liking the idea of him playing DM has become the club's actual plan in some people's mind.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jun 2022 21:20

Sutekh

Dann has been playing at this level or higher (mostly higher) for 15 years, safe to say he's proven himself.

I don't think anyone in management sees McIntyre's long-term future in midfield - and certainly not at the expense of using him in central defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2022 08:23

Pele proved himself, doesn’t mean he can still cut it. Dann is with us because he's no longer the player he once was. So his previous doesn't really matter. Being mid-30s is a game changer.

Dann was average at best in his performances last season, couldn’t make himself clear first choice and couldn't stay fit.

He hasn’t proven himself with us, or that he can play a major role next season.