313 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January transfer window 2023

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Feb 2023 16:43

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Allowed to keep using a player they hadn’t paid the fee for, how did they get away with that ! At least Cardiff haven’t had Sala playing while they tried to avoid paying for him.

No idea, that's the million dollar question, but there are plenty of reports to suggest that was the case. How does an organisation also be allowed to continue to trade when they haven't paid HMRC the £26m they owe them? It happened though.

I know it happened !
I would say using a player for whom you’ve not paid the agreed fee is worse than owing tax. If a club fails to pay any part of a transfer fee the player should immediately become ineligible. I do recall that Arsenal (?) didn’t demand payment because it woukd have finished Derby and they would never have got the money….

Pretty much yeah - why he wasn't made ineligible I don't know. It was basically just letting someone get away and benefit from not paying somebody which ultimately didn't cause any chaos, but I can imagine we'd have had a pretty strong case against Derby if they stayed up at the expense of us. The footballing industry for you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2023 17:45

Hound
Snowflake Royal Yeah, and punishment id actually warranted too.

If they wanted us to be relegated for it, they could just set the sanction at automatic relegation.

And given our current position and survival last season, clearly no one is trying that hard to relegate us, or we'd be gone.

Yeah it probably was warranted- though I suspect a few others have probably warranted a penalty and managed to find a way round in recent times

Tbf we did deserve a punishment but we also assisted the EFL with their investigations, admitted guilt, played by the new rules and agreed we’d been very silly previously

Would take it as a severe telling off rather than worthy of automatic relegation

Yeah, hence the 6 points and 6 suspended. It was at the light end.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Feb 2023 18:03

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yeah, and punishment id actually warranted too.

If they wanted us to be relegated for it, they could just set the sanction at automatic relegation.

And given our current position and survival last season, clearly no one is trying that hard to relegate us, or we'd be gone.

Yeah it probably was warranted- though I suspect a few others have probably warranted a penalty and managed to find a way round in recent times

Tbf we did deserve a punishment but we also assisted the EFL with their investigations, admitted guilt, played by the new rules and agreed we’d been very silly previously

Would take it as a severe telling off rather than worthy of automatic relegation

Don’t see how that could be considered ‘light’. Derby only got a 9 point deduction, so us being in a position of potentially losing 12 seems pretty heavy. We were given the chance to avoid some of the punishment if we sorted our act out, but we certainly haven’t been let off lightly. I’d say it was fair and reasonable rather than light….

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2023 18:04

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Don’t see how that could be considered ‘light’. Derby only got a 9 point deduction, so us being in a position of potentially losing 12 seems pretty heavy. We were given the chance to avoid some of the punishment if we sorted our act out, but we certainly haven’t been let off lightly. I’d say it was fair and reasonable rather than light….

Fairly obviously, because it could have been 12. :|

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Feb 2023 18:13

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Yeah, hence the 6 points and 6 suspended. It was at the light end.

Fairly obviously, because it could have been 12. :|

No. That doesn’t make it ‘light’.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2023 18:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
No idea, that's the million dollar question, but there are plenty of reports to suggest that was the case. How does an organisation also be allowed to continue to trade when they haven't paid HMRC the £26m they owe them? It happened though.

I know it happened !
I would say using a player for whom you’ve not paid the agreed fee is worse than owing tax. If a club fails to pay any part of a transfer fee the player should immediately become ineligible. I do recall that Arsenal (?) didn’t demand payment because it woukd have finished Derby and they would never have got the money….

Pretty much yeah - why he wasn't made ineligible I don't know. It was basically just letting someone get away and benefit from not paying somebody which ultimately didn't cause any chaos, but I can imagine we'd have had a pretty strong case against Derby if they stayed up at the expense of us. The footballing industry for you.

Yeah very weird situation that one all round. Arguably Birmingham have done pretty well out of it as well

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2023 07:22

In what is just typical of organisations, the FL still haven’t confirmed whether the financial restrictions on Reading will be lifted in the summer. Nothing like enabling clubs to plan with any confidence.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Feb 2023 08:13

Sutekh In what is just typical of organisations, the FL still haven’t confirmed whether the financial restrictions on Reading will be lifted in the summer. Nothing like enabling clubs to plan with any confidence.

How can they ?
Lifting them is dependent on us hitting the agreed business plan for the season, which isn’t over yet.
However at this point the club (and league) should have a pretty solid idea of where we are financially and given the restrictions have been gradually loosened I would suggest we’ve been given a good steer that we will be ok and most importantly not going to be hit with the 6 point deduction.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Feb 2023 08:27

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... w-26143391

Article on Ince's view of the January window. Speaking about possibly loaning someone out still so we can get a free transfer in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2023 08:58

morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-january-transfer-window-26143391

Article on Ince's view of the January window. Speaking about possibly loaning someone out still so we can get a free transfer in.

Interesting that he named Craig, as is realistically about the only one who could still go out on loan. A move to a National League side for the rest of the season might be beneficial to him and let us bring in Isco.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2023 08:59

Sutekh In what is just typical of organisations, the FL still haven’t confirmed whether the financial restrictions on Reading will be lifted in the summer. Nothing like enabling clubs to plan with any confidence.

Yeah I don't think anything is assured until it's actually over but in the increasingly unlikely circumstance that we do breach our business plan, then obviously we take our punishment and whatever else comes with it. Hopefully it won't come to that scenario and it doesn't look as if it will either.

I'm sure the club will already be working on planning for next summer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2023 10:19

Stranded
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-january-transfer-window-26143391

Interesting that he named Craig, as is realistically about the only one who could still go out on loan. A move to a National League side for the rest of the season might be beneficial to him and let us bring in Isco.

Could you imagine it though if that actually happened? Could Isco hack it in the second division of the English game?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2023 11:24

Sutekh
Stranded

Could you imagine it though if that actually happened? Could Isco hack it in the second division of the English game?

Isco modelled his game on Ince and has long dreamed of pinging balls on the head of a Big Fcuking Geordie, so I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

313 posts