Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2023 16:06

Hound What they managed to do is scout in some players for smallish fees - around a million or two and then sell big, which gave them the cash to buy more proven players like Toney

Excellent scouting but think it started with finding Maupay and selling for 20m I think it was. Obviously a lot easier said than done. We ‘found’ a far better player than that in Olise but because of various poor planning we didn’t make the most of the opportunity

Yeah I suspect a lot of ours could come through the academy. Olise being the main one, Holmes attracts yearly interest, Loader moved on etc. If we can continue to bring them through as we progress, then that's where I think we can both profit and benefit from, it's hardly like we are short of quality talent in our academy at the moment.

We likely won't be spending boatloads of money again unless we can receive a lot from sales, so it will be important that we can get our main couple of purchases correct and look to build from that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2023 21:52

Hound What they managed to do is scout in some players for smallish fees - around a million or two and then sell big, which gave them the cash to buy more proven players like Toney

Excellent scouting but think it started with finding Maupay and selling for 20m I think it was. Obviously a lot easier said than done. We ‘found’ a far better player than that in Olise but because of various poor planning we didn’t make the most of the opportunity

Maupay was definitely the catalyst and they recouped another £50m with Watkins and Benrahma. Its also easy to forget how competative wages in the Championship are compared to most leagues on the contiment so if the scouting is there, you can find the players, although I don't know how much the post Brexit visa regs make this more difficult.

I do wonder if they can sustain it in the Premier League though. Their spending is up and their sales are down and I guess it's even harder to find a rough diamond capable of stepping up to that level.

Taffster

by Taffster » 23 Jan 2023 08:59

YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah I suspect a lot of ours could come through the academy. Olise being the main one, Holmes attracts yearly interest, Loader moved on etc. If we can continue to bring them through as we progress, then that's where I think we can both profit and benefit from, it's hardly like we are short of quality talent in our academy at the moment.

We likely won't be spending boatloads of money again unless we can receive a lot from sales, so it will be important that we can get our main couple of purchases correct and look to build from that.

Unfortunately this won't work until we get back to being a cat 1 academy. The vultures are already circling since we lost cat 1 and can see us losing a lot of talent over the next year or 2.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2023 09:21

Should be cat 1 again next year

Think everything is so well scouted now it’s always going to be a battle to keep hold of the real stars though

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jan 2023 16:40

Who is it they can actually poach? Is it those under the ages of 17 or those who have not signed a professional contract? Or none of the above?

They can't just poach the likes of Abbey, Dorsett and co now they've signed professional deals, unless their contracts have expired obviously or unless they try and purchase them off us. Those are the players I'd be most interested in as they are closest to the first team.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Feb 2023 22:24

I actually feel excited about this summer. Hopefully we can scout some promising up and coming players with solid experience as well to compliment the youth coming through.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2023 08:10

It should certainly be interesting. Almost starting from scratch

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Feb 2023 09:45

I wonder if we'll go in for any of the players we were linked with in the January window - Cafu, Lyle Taylor - or start afresh?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2023 10:20

Would hope we’d be a bit more forward looking than those 2. Expect to see us trying to hoover up so releases youngsters from the prem, loan some fringe players and looking for good value from the lower leagues/ relegated teams where we can give them a significant pay bump

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Feb 2023 10:51

I think we have to be aware of the new regulations coming in where 70% of your revenue is spent on wages and agent fees. Inevitably, that will mean lower wages at this level so players will have to compromise as well.

I think you can make more out of "average" players, depending on the team you get them in. Fans moaned about potentially signing Jordan Hugill because his record wasn't great, but Millwall have just gone and signed Duncan Watmore who basically fits into the same category. He will probably end up doing ok for them overall.

Not to be envious of what Millwall have, but it's just an example of a team who can get decent players together, recruit well and perform to a good level.

In terms of the likes of Cafu and Lyle Taylor, they probably fall in that category. We aren't going to be signing superstars in the lower leagues, I can imagine competition will be fierce and we won't be the most attractive club to go to.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2023 09:01

YorkshireRoyal99 I think we have to be aware of the new regulations coming in where 70% of your revenue is spent on wages and agent fees. Inevitably, that will mean lower wages at this level so players will have to compromise as well.

I think you can make more out of "average" players, depending on the team you get them in. Fans moaned about potentially signing Jordan Hugill because his record wasn't great, but Millwall have just gone and signed Duncan Watmore who basically fits into the same category. He will probably end up doing ok for them overall.

Not to be envious of what Millwall have, but it's just an example of a team who can get decent players together, recruit well and perform to a good level.

In terms of the likes of Cafu and Lyle Taylor, they probably fall in that category. We aren't going to be signing superstars in the lower leagues, I can imagine competition will be fierce and we won't be the most attractive club to go to.

I think we will be plenty attractive enough - we have some of the best training facilities in the Championship (and if it all goes tits up over the next 18 games, then definitely in L1) and Reading is an incredibly well placed town, allowing players to live in London if they wish.

Wages will likely be in line with most of the Champ next year, so the above will be real selling points.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2023 09:04

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 I think we have to be aware of the new regulations coming in where 70% of your revenue is spent on wages and agent fees. Inevitably, that will mean lower wages at this level so players will have to compromise as well.

I think we will be plenty attractive enough - we have some of the best training facilities in the Championship (and if it all goes tits up over the next 18 games, then definitely in L1) and Reading is an incredibly well placed town, allowing players to live in London if they wish.

Wages will likely be in line with most of the Champ next year, so the above will be real selling points.

Agree with that bit, it's definitely a good place to come and play football, we will be able to compete with wages to a far greater effect in the summer and the location is good, but the point was more that there will be better teams/clubs than us next season to go and play football.

We keep seeing us wanting to pick up some top players from L1/L2, but that could be hard. Scott Twine made his move to Burnley and we aren't going to be able to compete with teams like that with the money they can spend. I know it won't work like that in every case, but that's just one example. It will be a volatile market.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Feb 2023 09:12

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

Agree with that bit, it's definitely a good place to come and play football, we will be able to compete with wages to a far greater effect in the summer and the location is good, but the point was more that there will be better teams/clubs than us next season to go and play football.

We keep seeing us wanting to pick up some top players from L1/L2, but that could be hard. Scott Twine made his move to Burnley and we aren't going to be able to compete with teams like that with the money they can spend. I know it won't work like that in every case, but that's just one example. It will be a volatile market.

But that's not our market and nor should it be - we aren't in the same division as ex-Prem sides - I'll be surprised if we spend much of anything this summer but you don't need to spend fees to build a side than can compete or even push for the Play-offs. The key difference this summer is we will be able to compete for a hell of a lot of free agents that were simply beyond us this year.

Just looking at midfielder coming out of contract - we could easily compete for the likes of Wiles, Dack, Ledson & Fleck - all decent/more than decent at Champ level - we may not get any of them but we could be in the race if they fit what we want and the facilities will help that.

We'll also be able to sell the fact to some players that we are essentially rebooting the club/side and we intend to build the side around them, which may be persuasive to some and help us get a player or two, who we may not otherwise have got.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2023 09:38

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

But that's not our market and nor should it be - we aren't in the same division as ex-Prem sides - I'll be surprised if we spend much of anything this summer but you don't need to spend fees to build a side than can compete or even push for the Play-offs. The key difference this summer is we will be able to compete for a hell of a lot of free agents that were simply beyond us this year.

Just looking at midfielder coming out of contract - we could easily compete for the likes of Wiles, Dack, Ledson & Fleck - all decent/more than decent at Champ level - we may not get any of them but we could be in the race if they fit what we want and the facilities will help that.

We'll also be able to sell the fact to some players that we are essentially rebooting the club/side and we intend to build the side around them, which may be persuasive to some and help us get a player or two, who we may not otherwise have got.

Again, I agree. You do just see a lot of the fanbase wanting those calibre of players to be coming into the club (your Scott Twine's for instance) but knowing that might not be our market and knowing that we won't be having millions to spend.

Some fans don't seem to get enthused about the idea of out of contract players or those players that haven't "stood out" anywhere, which I can understand, but also that's the market that we will be most likely operating in, along with a lot of other clubs. We might have to get used to "underwhelming" signings over the course of the summer, but I don't mind some experienced players coming in that are out of contract personally.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Feb 2023 10:21

Yep. Some people want "marquee signings" for bragging rights in the pub or at work but since when does the cost of a player actually equal their value to a team? If it was purely a money game we'd never be able to compete with around 30+ other clubs.

It's all about value, blend and character. The value of players who are cheap and may well be successful - but may be a risk, and the blend of players who fit together and become something greater together. The character is in picking players with the right attitude (which adds to their value) - players who will give everything and have something to prove. We used to be good at picking players with the right character, and discarding or walking away from those who didn't have it, but over recent years we've been rubbish and seem to have been attracted more by price than value (Gourlay, I'm looking at you here!)

Going back to the big expensive signings, I always remember the masses and masses of scorn thrown at the club when we signed two completely unknown players from Cork City in summer 2005.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2023 10:34

Our record with high transfer fee or even wage players is really quite poor.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2023 11:14

When we are talking about looking at strong L1/L2 players, we are talking more about the Josh Laurents than Scott Twines (or Marc McNulty’s even) here

Players who are still good value and have the right characteristics to fit into the side

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Feb 2023 11:32

Snowflake Royal Our record with high transfer fee or even wage players is really quite poor.

It is, which is why I can't understand why people are against certain players or just completely write them off.

The Jordan Hugill rumour is a classic example. A lot of people stating his record not being great as a reason not to sign him. Yes, whilst that's true, that's the pond we are fishing in and, whilst restrictions will make our lives a lot easier, that will still likely be the pond we continue to fish in with maybe a bit more scope to compete elsewhere. People suggesting we could "get better", but realistically are we? And even more so, do we want to be paying the money to go and get said better players?

We've tried high value, high pedigree players in recent history and it hasn't worked. I just think it's best not to write some players off before they've arrived, as they could be more beneficial for us than what they've been elsewhere.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2023 11:45

That’s just football fans

See Arsenal fans whinging about signing Jorghino - an experienced proven ‘winner’ with champs league and Euro championship medals to his name

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Feb 2023 12:31

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Our record with high transfer fee or even wage players is really quite poor.

It is, which is why I can't understand why people are against certain players or just completely write them off.

The Jordan Hugill rumour is a classic example. A lot of people stating his record not being great as a reason not to sign him. Yes, whilst that's true, that's the pond we are fishing in and, whilst restrictions will make our lives a lot easier, that will still likely be the pond we continue to fish in with maybe a bit more scope to compete elsewhere. People suggesting we could "get better", but realistically are we? And even more so, do we want to be paying the money to go and get said better players?

We've tried high value, high pedigree players in recent history and it hasn't worked. I just think it's best not to write some players off before they've arrived, as they could be more beneficial for us than what they've been elsewhere.

I refer you to my previous comment about "bragging rights" - these are the same supporters who think the "size" of their club or the number of supporters they take to matches is important.

The old Steve Coppell mantra of trying to find players who have failed elsewhere and/or who have something to prove absolutely is the best policy for a club like us that's never going to compete purely on financial terms. That, plus a thriving CAT ONE academy that offers a genuine pathway to the first team.

1360 posts