Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2023 09:57

To aid debate on summer transfer speculation the following Championship players are out of contract in the summer:

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Maxime Colin, Harlee Dean, Troy Deeney, George Friend, Jonathan Leko, Kevin Long.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Daniel Ayala, Ben Brereton Diaz

BLACKPOOL

Keshi Anderson, Stuart Moore, Jordan Thorniley

BRISTOL CITY

Daniel Bentley, Jay Dasilva, Tomas Kalas, Andy King, Chris Martin, Han-Noah Massengo, Antoine Semenyo, Harvey Wiles-Richards

BURNLEY

Ashley Barnes, Johann Berg Gudmunsson, Matthew Lowton, Will Norris

CARDIFF CITY

Joel Bagan, Mark Harris, Curtis Nelson, Tom Sang, Gavin Whyte

COVENTRY CITY

Kyle McFadzean, Martyn Waghorn, Liam Kelly, Ben Wilson, Marcel Hilssner, Michael Rose, Tyler Walker, Will Bapaga

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN

Danny Ward, Florian Kamberi, Josh Koroma

HULL CITY

Greg Docherty, Callum Elder, Josh Emmanuel, Callum Jones, James Scott

LUTON TOWN

Unknown

MIDDLESBROUGH

Luke Daniels, Darnell Fisher, Jonny Howson, Tommy Smith, Stephen Walker, Duncan Watmore

MILLWALL

Unknown

NORWICH CITY

Sam Byram, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell, Onel Hernandez, Jordan Hugill, Michael McGovern, Teemu Pukki, Danel Sinani

PRESTON NORTH END

Robbie Brady, Lewis Coulton, Greg Cunningham, Daniel Johnson, Sean Maguire, Matthew Olosunde, Adam O'Reilly

QUEENS PARK RANGERS

Ody Alfa, Luke Amos, Jordan Archer, Leon Balogun, Conor Masterson, Charlie Owens, Olamide Shodipo

READING

Scott Dann, Nesta Guinness-Walker, Junior Hoilett, Lucas Joao, Shane Long, Amadou Mbengue, Yakou Meite, Liam Moore, Dejan Tetek

ROTHERHAM UNITED

Dan Barlaser, Wes Harding, Robbie Hemfrey, Chiedozie Ogbene, Lee Peltier, Josh Vickers, Richard Wood

SHEFFIELD UNITED

John Fleck, Wes Foderingham, Kyron Gordon, Oli McBurnie, Oliver Norwood, Jack O'Connell, Ben Osborn, Will Osula, Jack Robinson, Femi Seriki, Billy Sharp, Enda Stevens

STOKE CITY

Jack Bonham, Sam Clucas, Frank Fielding, Aden Flint, Morgan Fox, Phil Jagielka, Nick Powell, Mario Vrancic

SUNDERLAND

Danny Batth, Alex Pritchard

SWANSEA CITY

Joel Latibeaudiere, Ryan Manning, Kyle Naughton

WATFORD

Leandro Bacuna, Craig Cathcart, Tom Cleverley, Dan Gosling

WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Jake Livermore, Erik Pieters, Kenneth Zohore

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Ben Amos, Joe Bennett, Jordan Cousins, Tendayi Darikwa, Gwion Edwards, Jamie Jones, Will Keane, James McClean, Max Power, Scott Smith, Curtis Tilt

Some Premier League players out of contract - anyone got a more complete list to stick below?:

Youri Tielemans (Leicester)

Jorginho (Chelsea)

Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Leandro Trossard (Brighton)

N’Golo Kante (Chelsea)

Roberto Firmino (Liverpool)

Ilkay Gundogan (Man City)

Caglar Soyuncu (Leicester)

Naby Keita (Liverpool)

Yerry Mina (Everton)

David de Gea (Man Utd)

Adama Traore (Wolves)

Jesse Lingard (Nottingham Forest)

Manuel Lanzini (West Ham)

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool)

Mohamed Elneny (Arsenal)

Vladimir Coufal (West Ham)

Reiss Nelson (Arsenal)

Diego Costa (Wolves)

Thiago Silva (Chelsea)

Willian (Fulham)

Axel Tuanzebe (Man Utd)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Brogue » 17 Jan 2023 11:00

:| most of these players could have their contracts renewed between now and the summer. What a pointless thread to run so early

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 19 Jan 2023 18:01

Brogue :| most of these players could have their contracts renewed between now and the summer. What a pointless thread to run so early

Bit harsh - it's an interesting read. The thing that stuck out for me is just how ordinary the players on that list are - I can't imagine managers exactly champing at the bit to secure their signatures. A lot of average and probably overpaid players, with just a few gems sprinkled among them.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jan 2023 18:15

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Brogue :| most of these players could have their contracts renewed between now and the summer. What a pointless thread to run so early

Bit harsh - it's an interesting read. The thing that stuck out for me is just how ordinary the players on that list are - I can't imagine managers exactly champing at the bit to secure their signatures. A lot of average and probably overpaid players, with just a few gems sprinkled among them.

definitely a useful thread, not disputing that... if posted in May

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2023 18:21

Bristol City have triggered a 1 year extention on Semenyo. Todd Cantwell's off to Rangers as well. As Brogue said, not that useful a list at this stage though

However, Barlaser ar Rotherham and John Fleck at Sheffield Utd would be 2 I'd look at. Not sure we could afford Fleck though.

Obviously, Ruel Fox is top of the list though and I wouldn't say no to N'Golo Kante if he came begging.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2023 09:24

Definitely a few on that list that would be useful for us to take a look at and I can imagine a vast majority on this list will be available considering the general need in the Championship to lower the wage bills of respective clubs in a lot of circumstances.

Will become more important come the end of the season, but no reason why we can't be having conversations with some of these players' agents now to try and agree terms come the end of the season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2023 10:19

Two for me:
Danny Ward from Huddsfield if Peter Pan Shane Long is finally feeling his age.
Alex Pritchard from Sunderland to be our version of Barry Bannan.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2023 10:25

South Coast Royal Two for me:
Danny Ward from Huddsfield if Peter Pan Shane Long is finally feeling his age.
Alex Pritchard from Sunderland to be our version of Barry Bannan.

I could actually see us going for a fair few more names on this list, obviously depending on wages and availability.

Some experienced pros like Dan Gosling and Johann Berg Gudmunsson would be really good signings for us, for example. I quite like Wes Harding at Rotherham personally speaking, think he'd do ok in our squad and obviously plenty of players above who could be good members of our squad as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2023 11:02

YorkshireRoyal99 Definitely a few on that list that would be useful for us to take a look at and I can imagine a vast majority on this list will be available considering the general need in the Championship to lower the wage bills of respective clubs in a lot of circumstances.

Will become more important come the end of the season, but no reason why we can't be having conversations with some of these players' agents now to try and agree terms come the end of the season.

Wouldn’t we be breaking EFL rules if we started talking to these players now ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2023 11:18

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99 Definitely a few on that list that would be useful for us to take a look at and I can imagine a vast majority on this list will be available considering the general need in the Championship to lower the wage bills of respective clubs in a lot of circumstances.

Not if we were just to try and gather interest I wouldn't have thought, should have worded it better though in terms of "agreeing terms" as I'm not 100% sure if we would be allowed to do that, although I'm not too sure to be honest.

Just editing in here, although I do believe that, when we signed Lumley, it was either the player/someone at the club who said that negotiations/talks were ongoing for about a month until the deal was eventually reached. Whether that was just a verbal agreement, I don't know.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2023 11:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Not if we were just to try and gather interest I wouldn't have thought, should have worded it better though in terms of "agreeing terms" as I'm not 100% sure if we would be allowed to do that, although I'm not too sure to be honest.

I believe the rule is that you can’t discuss potential contracts with players who will be OOC in the summer until 1 month before their contract is up. Obviously talks happen, it’s a small world, people chat, agents have multiple players at different clubs. But it is against the rules , which is at least one good reason for not doing it too blatantly.

Not sure where Lumley comes into it, he is on loan !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2023 11:40

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

I believe the rule is that you can’t discuss potential contracts with players who will be OOC in the summer until 1 month before their contract is up. Obviously talks happen, it’s a small world, people chat, agents have multiple players at different clubs. But it is against the rules , which is at least one good reason for not doing it too blatantly.

But no reason as to why we can't at least talk with agents to see if they might be interested in a move at the end of the season, although I don't think it will be happening right now anyway, might be closer towards the end of their deals and the end of the season.

Yeah, we still had to agree a deal to get Lumley on loan, which the player/club said at the time of signing that talks were going on for about a month.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2023 12:04

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

But no reason as to why we can't at least talk with agents to see if they might be interested in a move at the end of the season, although I don't think it will be happening right now anyway, might be closer towards the end of their deals and the end of the season.

Yeah, we still had to agree a deal to get Lumley on loan, which the player/club said at the time of signing that talks were going on for about a month.

Yes, there is a reason. It’s against the rules ! I have no doubt that agents will be making phone calls but the rules don’t allow it officially.

Still don’t see the relevance of Lumley, loads of deals take a fair while to sort.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2023 12:11

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Yes, there is a reason. It’s against the rules ! I have no doubt that agents will be making phone calls but the rules don’t allow it officially.

Still don’t see the relevance of Lumley, loads of deals take a fair while to sort.

Right ok.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 20 Jan 2023 13:45

Think we should move early for Tielemans.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jan 2023 17:07

None of these tbh. Personally, I’d like us to use a mixture of our own youngsters (e.g. Craig and Abrefa), identify players from lower divisions and non league (e.g. Tshimanga of Chesterfield is quality) and Premiership rejects.

Of course we’ll need a few older pros but I like the idea of unearthing a few unknowns and players who are on the way up. Brentford’s model would be good to follow.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2023 11:40

The thing with the Brentford model is that they "unearthed" Ollie Watkins for £2m and "unearthed" Ivan Toney for £5m + add ons.

A lot of their signings have been from Holland, Denmark, Belgium and France, which apparently is what we shouldn't be doing, according to a lot of our fans. All whilst dismantling their academy.

It would appear that the key to good recruitment is good scouting and pots of cash.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2023 12:15

From Despair To Where? The thing with the Brentford model is that they "unearthed" Ollie Watkins for £2m and "unearthed" Ivan Toney for £5m + add ons.

A lot of their signings have been from Holland, Denmark, Belgium and France, which apparently is what we shouldn't be doing, according to a lot of our fans. All whilst dismantling their academy.

It would appear that the key to good recruitment is good scouting and pots of cash.

Agree - I don't think it matters where a player comes from, what matters is do they fit into the style of play that the club wants. Brentford's model was about signing players that fitted their style of play, not just one's from lower divisions and it has been centred around data as well.

Brentford use expected goals as part of their recruitment strategy. If they had two strikers almost identical in every way that fit their style, one scored 12 but had an expected goals of 8 and one who scored 6 but had an expected goals of 10, they'd go for the second striker as he'd likely cost less and would be expected to score more goals in their side.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Jan 2023 13:34

Nameless

Thought speaking to players in their last 6 months of contract was fair game? You can sign players on pre contract agreements when they are into the last 6 months can’t you!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2023 15:37

What they managed to do is scout in some players for smallish fees - around a million or two and then sell big, which gave them the cash to buy more proven players like Toney

Excellent scouting but think it started with finding Maupay and selling for 20m I think it was. Obviously a lot easier said than done. We ‘found’ a far better player than that in Olise but because of various poor planning we didn’t make the most of the opportunity

1360 posts