Rumour - Meite to Liege

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Meite to Liege

by 72 bus » 28 Mar 2023 22:13

Hendo
Snowflake Royal If you were to offer him a contract to stay, how long and on what terms... assuming we stay up?

2 years, 10k?

Considering we're going to be getting rid of the Moore and Joao wages, I think I'd be comfortable offering up to £15k for 2 years with the option of a 3rd.

15K ? The bloke is nowhere near the player he was, get rid.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Mar 2023 20:03

Agreed I think for £15k a week we need a player who will start games and contribute more goals and assists than Meite has recently. I can't even remember when he last scored. We can get better value elsewhere for that money if we are clever

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Mar 2023 21:39

Royal_jimmy Agreed I think for £15k a week we need a player who will start games and contribute more goals and assists than Meite has recently. I can't even remember when he last scored. We can get better value elsewhere for that money if we are clever

Away to Hull in December, but he did play a key role in all 3 goals v Blackpool a couple of weeks ago.

Overall he has scored a goal every 3.5 games for us, which is pretty decent considering how raw he was when he first started playing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2023 07:25

He was great but 3 goals in 2 seasons…doesn’t offer a lot else either

Can’t afford to carry that around these days

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Mar 2023 07:40

I wish him all the best but I don’t want us to waste anymore money on him. Irrespective of what league we’re playing in next season I want to see fresh new hungry faces. I have seen Langstaff at Notts County a couple of times this season and he’s not the biggest but he’s a very clever striker and reminds me of Curo.

I just want to enjoy watching us play football again. I think the last time that happened was for a short spell under Steve Clarke, otherwise, it’s been mostly dreadful for years now.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Mar 2023 09:40

Hound He was great but 3 goals in 2 seasons…doesn’t offer a lot else either

I think that's a bit misleading considering his injury issues have impacted most of his last 2 seasons, especially considering he hardly kicked a ball at all last season.

Having said that, still agree with the point being made, why pay £10-15k a week for someone who has offered us very little in the last couple of seasons (depending on what remains of the current one), irrespective of what the reason was for that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2023 10:13

YorkshireRoyal99

I think that's a bit misleading considering his injury issues have impacted most of his last 2 seasons, especially considering he hardly kicked a ball at all last season.

Having said that, still agree with the point being made, why pay £10-15k a week for someone who has offered us very little in the last couple of seasons (depending on what remains of the current one), irrespective of what the reason was for that.

It’s not misleading, it’s all about what we are actually getting for our money. And that’s 3 goals and 3 assists in 2 years. Only 1600 mins during that time - ie about 18 games

There’s a good player there still I’m sure but we need players who can give vfm and he isn’t doing so

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Mar 2023 10:37

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

It’s not misleading, it’s all about what we are actually getting for our money. And that’s 3 goals and 3 assists in 2 years. Only 1600 mins during that time - ie about 18 games

There’s a good player there still I’m sure but we need players who can give vfm and he isn’t doing so

Yeah the important thing to consider there is the minutes he's played, that would be the reason to not keep him on, because his wages do not justify the amount of minutes he has on the pitch, not because of a lack of quality or anything.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2023 11:10

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah the important thing to consider there is the minutes he's played, that would be the reason to not keep him on, because his wages do not justify the amount of minutes he has on the pitch, not because of a lack of quality or anything.

Well he’s largely been crap when he has played in those 2 years as well tbh, but that’s prob largely due to constantly coming back from injury

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Mar 2023 12:33

You'd obviously make your decision on a medical assessment. If he plays his record will be far superior to that. We wouldn’t be signing him to sit on a treatment table, but to play games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Mar 2023 12:40

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

It's actually about what we would be getting for our money, not what we had been getting.

A fit and in form Meite is well worth £10k a week.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Mar 2023 13:39

Snowflake Royal
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

It's actually about what we would be getting for our money, not what we had been getting.

I think the issue is he's rarely been fit, so therefore not really been/had much chance to be in form.

Given our injury record, especially over the last couple of seasons, it's probably best to try and stay away from players with a recent history of long-term injury issues.

But I do agree, yes a fit and in form Meite is worth that, but it's not the quality he can bring which is the issue.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2023 15:08

Snowflake Royal
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

We don’t know what we would be getting though do we? We know what he’s capable of pre-injury but on recent evidence he can’t stay fit and isn’t particularly good when he does play

The likelihood though is what we would be getting is more of the last 2 years not him at his best

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Mar 2023 17:28

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

We don’t know what we would be getting though do we? We know what he’s capable of pre-injury but on recent evidence he can’t stay fit and isn’t particularly good when he does play

The likelihood though is what we would be getting is more of the last 2 years not him at his best

Which is why you'd make the decision looking at a medical assessment of his risk of further injury and his fitness at end of deal not by saying 'he only scored 3 goals in 2 years'

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Apr 2023 22:18

Meite and João have stated their desire to stay at the club if we survive. It would be a no brainer to keep both if their wage demands are under 15k a week.

João is a no brainer to keep he's quality. Meite works hard, maybe deserves around 10k a week. João should be a top earner but £15k a week max.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 06 Apr 2023 23:30

Royal_jimmy Meite and João have stated their desire to stay at the club if we survive. It would be a no brainer to keep both if their wage demands are under 15k a week.

João is a no brainer to keep he's quality. Meite works hard, maybe deserves around 10k a week. João should be a top earner but £15k a week max.

If we’re going to have a manager who plays to their strengths, they are more than good enough at this level.

If we’re going to keep Paul Ince, we might as well let them go

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Apr 2023 08:44

Notts Royal
Royal_jimmy Meite and João have stated their desire to stay at the club if we survive. It would be a no brainer to keep both if their wage demands are under 15k a week.

If we’re going to have a manager who plays to their strengths, they are more than good enough at this level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2023 08:49

Notts Royal

+1

Capable of being a top Championship strike force if played to their strengths.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2023 09:29

Were capable

Not sure now. Joao has flashes but has been poor all season. Need a surge from him now. Difficult to work out what makes him tick. He is good enough to score in any system when on form

Meite seems to get an awful lot of slack, maybe rightly so after being so good for us, but 3 goals in 2 years. Can’t all be ince’s fault.

Wouldn’t be upset to see either or both stay on but certainly not at any sort of wage making them top earners. Esp Meite. And both would have be 2 years max

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Apr 2023 11:31

According to Berkshirelive, Ince has said both Meite and Joao want to stay here next season. If they do I hope both of them are willing to take a paycut.