New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jun 2023 20:40

windermereROYAL My god twitter is unbearable at the moment, I`m surprised there aren`t mass suicides in the region. it`s June the fucking 8th for goodness sake.

I was a member if a couple of Facebook groups but I've had to leave them because my feed was getting over-run with bedwetters.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jun 2023 21:33

Whilst I get it's June 8th and ages until the new season, the longer this drags on the worse the look is for a club that's been grossly mismanaged over the last 6 years. Getting a quick appointment shows a statement of intent. If we hire a manager in July it doesn't fill me with confidence that the club's ways are changing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jun 2023 23:16

So you'd rather we rush the decision and appoint the first person to say yes?

Seems to me we've interviewed 3 or 4 people and the first choice (incidentally, the popular choice among fans) is taking his time over making a decision. At some point we probably have to set a deadline but I don't think we've reached that point yet.

Delboy

by Delboy » 09 Jun 2023 07:45

I think this may be due to FFP sign off not yet complete

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jun 2023 08:04

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something if that kind. Just waiting to confirm budgets for next year. Or maybe wilder really can’t make up his mind…

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2023 08:26

Jackson Corner
windermereROYAL My god twitter is unbearable at the moment, I`m surprised there aren`t mass suicides in the region. it`s June the fucking 8th for goodness sake.

But given the club is a fecking shambles the sooner someone comes in the better. It’s a short turn around this season with the World Cup. 3 weeks to pre season training and 4 weeks the season start’s. Not long to look for players and implement a style of play.

Exactly the same amount of time to implement a style of play as if we had a manager the day after the season ended.

And nothing is stopping us looking for players we still have all our recruitment team.

Clueless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2023 08:30

Royal_jimmy Whilst I get it's June 8th and ages until the new season, the longer this drags on the worse the look is for a club that's been grossly mismanaged over the last 6 years. Getting a quick appointment shows a statement of intent. If we hire a manager in July it doesn't fill me with confidence that the club's ways are changing.

We're good at quick statements of intent. They usually lead to disaster.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Jun 2023 18:31

From Despair To Where? So you'd rather we rush the decision and appoint the first person to say yes?

Seems to me we've interviewed 3 or 4 people and the first choice (incidentally, the popular choice among fans) is taking his time over making a decision. At some point we probably have to set a deadline but I don't think we've reached that point yet.

But we haven't rushed any decision have we?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jun 2023 06:43

From Despair To Where? So you'd rather we rush the decision and appoint the first person to say yes?

:lol: But for anyone to say yes the club would have offered them the job, so if Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp happened to be the first applicant through the door should the club turn them down because they hadn't interviewed enough Steve Cotterrill types?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jun 2023 07:35

I think you've missed the point I was making particularly the "first choice" bit.

If Wilder is the first choice then we wait on his answer for a reasonable time as he is head and shoulders the best candidate. However, as someone who has managed in the Premier League and Championship with some success for the past 6 years, taking a step back into League 1, particularly at a club which has been in utter turmoil for the past 3 years is a bigger gamble for him than it is for us. His next job will shape the rest of his career. We don't just jump to an inferior candidate because we haven't got an answer yet. The appointment will take as long as it takes.

To use your example, If we offered Pep or Klopp the job, we wouldn't then offer the job to Cotterell because they hadn't given us an immediate answer. We also wouldn't just interview Pep or Klopp because, let's be honest, there's always a chance they'll turn us down.

There are also undoubtedly factors that we don't know about that could be affecting the timing of the appointment. For example, we are still under embargo.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 10 Jun 2023 10:25

Still think it doesn't show enough change. Recruiting is 'active' and there's talk of new owners. Perhaps the latter is linked. It's not the time to actually coach and shape, it's the time required to build under new direction.

Anfield Royal

by Anfield Royal » 10 Jun 2023 20:22

Delboy I think this may be due to FFP sign off not yet complete

It can’t be, as stated several times now.

The embargo ends June 30th. New managers contract will start July 1st…

No different to announcing players signing now but they don’t officially become Reading players until July 1st.

Somethings going on, perhaps it’s sorting contracts for backroom staff; who knows. But the lack of chatter about any other manager linked with the job suggests it remains Wilder’s job whenever things are sorted.

Still laughing at the entitled brats on Twitter still calling for a “statement” lol.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Jun 2023 20:45

This summer is boring. No appointments, signings or players who have re-signed. Bowen must be on holiday! Or maybe he walked and the club haven't announced it over a disagreement over who should be manager as it's not one of Kia's clients.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Jun 2023 09:14

Royal_jimmy This summer is boring. No appointments, signings or players who have re-signed. Bowen must be on holiday! Or maybe he walked and the club haven't announced it over a disagreement over who should be manager as it's not one of Kia's clients.

Maybe Bowen will appoint himself

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jun 2023 11:08

Royal_jimmy This summer is boring. No appointments, signings or players who have re-signed. Bowen must be on holiday! Or maybe he walked and the club haven't announced it over a disagreement over who should be manager as it's not one of Kia's clients.

You think too much Jim.

But one thing I do know is many are waiting for announcement before renewing, and with only 5 days to go at the cheaper prices the club need to get their collective fingers out.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2023 11:32

I reckon the delay is down to Pep wanting to see out the season with Citeh before signing.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Jun 2023 11:37

Stevie G Still think it doesn't show enough change. Recruiting is 'active' and there's talk of new owners. Perhaps the latter is linked. It's not the time to actually coach and shape, it's the time required to build under new direction.

In other words, a f*cking shambles and mess and there is no plan with the club living off speculation.
I'd love to know who's decision it was to release Southwood as well and leave us with 2 very questionable keepers. I just hope we have someone lined up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jun 2023 12:07

oxf*rd Nora.

Guiness-Walker has re-signed, as have some youth players. We've offered contracts to several others.

We're reportedly trying to bring in a quality young keeper already.

Contracts haven't even expired yet.

It's not even mid-fucking June.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 11 Jun 2023 13:25

The hold up isn’t because Wilder hasn’t decided, it’s done and dusted with him.

The hold is because Dai hasn’t signed it off yet. The hold up is with him.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jun 2023 13:28

hughsies no.1 The hold up isn’t because Wilder hasn’t decided, it’s done and dusted with him.

The hold is because Dai hasn’t signed it off yet. The hold up is with him.

And you know this how?

768 posts