RUMOUR - Cox to Swindon?

Blue&White Mage

RUMOUR - Cox to Swindon?

by Blue&White Mage » 08 Jan 2008 13:34

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2008 14:34

Its a Dodd, but I don't know the link to the secret search function, can anyone help?

Would that be the Swindon with no money who made a bid?

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 08 Jan 2008 14:43

Don't they have a transfer embargo at the moment though?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 08 Jan 2008 14:53

they come out of it within 10 days i believe

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2008 14:54

Takeover is due to go through shortly with Maurice Malpas becoming manager. I assume the embargo will be lifted with the takeover.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 08 Jan 2008 15:32

Sad to see a promising youngster leave, again, but he doesn't have a chance here!

It annoys me when even in a cup game we say we could do with out, youth still doesn't get much in the way of a chance and instead we play some first teamers out of position and a mix of fringe players.

You're better off else where, and good luck if you do leave.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2008 15:50

Coppelled Streets Sad to see a promising youngster leave, again, but he doesn't have a chance here!

It annoys me when even in a cup game we say we could do with out, youth still doesn't get much in the way of a chance and instead we play some first teamers out of position and a mix of fringe players.

Wew're the same as every other Prem club in doing that though

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 08 Jan 2008 15:55

Coppelled Streets Sad to see a promising youngster leave, again, but he doesn't have a chance here!

Any RFC player that admits they loved their time at Swindon can fcuk off. :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2008 16:19

Well maybe, just maybe he's not got the quality at this time to play for a Premiership club. Championship/League 1 would appear to be his level at the moment so if he wants to play that's where he will go. If we were still in the Championship he would have stood a better chance.

We as a club are not playing these players because we hate yougsters we aren't playing them because we have better players in the squad.

Pearce looks likely to make a breakthrough very soon according to Coppell's comments so it looks like he may be good enough.

Players need to make the side on merit not just because they have come through the academy or happen to be a local lad.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 08 Jan 2008 17:38

Scarface

Any RFC player that admits they loved their time at Swindon can fcuk off. :lol:

VaLOLid.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Jan 2008 20:34

around 200k for him i believe

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 09 Jan 2008 21:48

Town table Cox bid – and move for another striker
By Andy Cryer
Comment | Read Comments (37)

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... triker.php

Simon Cox
SIMON Cox admits he is more or less resigned to a future away from Premiership Reading - as Town close in on a more temporary striking solution.

While Swindon stepped up their efforts to land the Royals' striker permanently yesterday, with an official bid now submitted, caretaker boss Dave Byrne revealed he was close to unveiling a former Premier League squad player on loan.

Town's transfer dealings are still limited by the embargo slapped on them by the Football League, but with chairman elect Andrew Fitton close to finally sealing the takeover, they could resume normal business in the next couple of days.

Number one target Cox does not expect a decision to be made on his future until late January but Byrne revealed he was hoping to announce at least one new player by the end of the week, with the move already agreed to in principle.

Maurice Malpas is still waiting to be officially appointed Town boss but Byrne, who will be his assistant manager, insists the former Dundee United man has already given him the green light to press ahead.

Byrne said: "We have been assured one player will come in on loan and hopefully by the end of the week we can give his name and when he arrives.

advertisement
"My recommendation is you need three, maybe four players to add to the squad. If we can get them in we won't be too far away by the end of the season.

"Maurice will have to hit the ground running because of the situation, but he has been brilliant. He has said keep hitting the targets you have gone for.

"So he has more or less said he trusts my judgement, which is fantastic.

"The official bid has gone in for Simon. I have had no phone call saying there has been a rejection on the offer so as far as I am concerned no news is good news."

Town are believed to have offered around £200,000 for Cox, who was a revelation during his nine-goal loan spell at the County Ground earlier this season.

He was forced to return to the Madejski at the start of this month, with Reading anxious to see what materialised during the transfer window.

While the potential departure of Leroy Lita may make Steve Coppell more reluctant to let Cox go, the presence of Dave Kitson, Kevin Doyle and Shane Long ahead of him in the queue make a Reading future unlikely.

He said: "I had a meeting with their director of football Nicky Hammond the other day and he said no decisions would be made on my future until first the embargo is lifted at Swindon and then towards the end of January.

"They obviously want to see what happens with the strikers they have at the club who are currently ahead of me. Although even if one leaves it seems I still won't get regular football.

"I couldn't stress enough that I want to play football every week and from the meeting it seems as though that won't happen for me at Reading.

"I am more or less waiting for them to tell me to leave now. Until they tell me that I can't make any decision so I don't think it will be until the last week of January."

League One rivals Northampton Town and Brighton are just a couple of a long line of other interested parties but, unless a Championship club makes a last-ditch move, Town are best positioned.

He said: "It is no secret I loved my time at Swindon and would certainly go back if it was the right move."

With the transfer window only open for another few weeks, Byrne knows Town will have to move quickly but insists Malpas' imminent arrival will not hinder the process.

He said: "He has been given a real good dossier on what we have and what we need and he's beavering away behind the scenes at the moment."

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 Jan 2008 23:57

Hefty future sell-on clauses inserted to avoid any Billy Sharp-esque murkings for RFC please

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Jan 2008 11:37

I will be really disappointed if he goes - especially for a paltry £200K.

If we bought an up an coming 20 years old striker from a league 2 club who had scored 9 gaols already this season we would have to pay in excess of a million. It would be mad to let him go for so little.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Jan 2008 11:39

I fully expect a massive sell-on clause.

If he proves his worth playing for Swindon we'll be quids in when he moves on to better things.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Jan 2008 11:45

That Friday Feeling I fully expect a massive sell-on clause.

If he proves his worth playing for Swindon we'll be quids in when he moves on to better things.

I suppose we may also put on a buy back clause as well in case he turns out to be a star.

I would still have prefer that we had signed him for longer when we had the chance and were now loaning hi out to a Championship club.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 10 Jan 2008 15:56

I thought all Cox ended up in Swindon!?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 10 Jan 2008 16:14

Wolves have just signed a Plymouth striker so i'm sure Paul Sturrock will be bidding for Cox very soon.

bootboy

by bootboy » 10 Jan 2008 20:05

I'm sure this will happen and I wish him good luck. Don't think he will be the last younger player to go this year. Who else do people think will move on to get the football they require? My moneys on Henry, as his contract runs out this year and no sign of an extension or new deal yet.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Jan 2008 21:45

It'll be a sad day if we let Simon Cox go. As I've said before, someone who is born and bred in a town and wants to play for their home town league club is a rare thing these days. Good luck to him if he goes, I hope he moves onwards and upwards and RFC rue the day they let him go. Will any of our Academy players ever break into the first team?