RUMOUR - Club ownership news

Tommy Youlden's Ears

Sale of Club

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 05 Mar 2008 16:53

Have been told, by a decent source, that club is in advanced talks with some of Marcus' countrymen. The whole thing; club, stad, hotel and chip shops. I've heard a price but won't say for now as might implicate source. More than I'd have expected though.

Implications? Dunno, might provide dynamic new leadership, loads of money and a future brighter than a very bright thing. Might also coincide with relegation, provide an excuse for Sir Steve to 'take a break from football', and trigger the whole thing unravelling as with so many clubs we could all name.

IMO it'd be a v sad day. I reckon Mr Mad has been a fine Chairman. He has his faults, but don't we all. No doubt events of the last few months- worriesover lack of spending etc. - will lead many to say 'good riddance'. I think that would be sadly misplaced. I hear he's been driven to distraction by the sleaze, greed and general nausea surrounding the prem, agents and players. So football will lose a decent (in all senses) businessman, and gain what? Maybe another Randy Lerner (everything crossed), but maybe another Hicks (oh dear). We'll all be going to games at the Ginsters RoyalBowl.

Cheerleaders might be good though. Small mercies...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Sale of Club

by Row Z Royal » 05 Mar 2008 16:55

Madejski has said time and again that he'll never leave the club he loves.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 05 Mar 2008 17:40

Row Z Royal Madejski has said time and again that he'll never leave the club he loves.

......unless a billionaire comes along.

Fingers crossed then.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 05 Mar 2008 18:19

Tommy Youlden's Ears I hear he's been driven to distraction by the sleaze, greed and general nausea surrounding the prem, agents and players

As any self-respecting multi-millionaire who felt the need to live in exile in the far-East to minimise his own personal tax liabilities after selling his company undoubtedly would!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 05 Mar 2008 21:18

Coppelled Streets
Row Z Royal Madejski has said time and again that he'll never leave the club he loves.

......unless a billionaire comes along.

Fingers crossed then.

That's not what it says on Football Manager. :?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Mar 2008 07:22

Yeah, yeah, believe it when I see it....

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 Mar 2008 07:28

It's the bit about also selling the chip shops which confirmed its truth to me.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Mar 2008 09:44

Coppelled Streets It's the bit about also selling the chip shops which confirmed its truth to me.

You're right, I hadn't noiticed that before. I wonder how long it'll take for Compass (the company that actually owns the chip shops) to realise that JM is selling them off to some yanks.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 06 Mar 2008 09:45

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 Mar 2008 12:31

AF1

Prayer Time At The Madejski

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 06 Mar 2008 14:34

Blimey, there really are some literalists on here aren't there! The chip shop comment was a joke. Maybe a joke without the funny bit, but a joke nonetheless. All I can say is that the source is impeccable. Source might have got it wrong. Deal might not happen even if source is right. But it's what I heard. It is not unfounded. But it is a rumour.

Money sounds toppy to me - but then if Hicks and Gillett paid £218.9m for LFC, and DIC are now offering £400m, then maybe other US based funds would like a bit of that.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 Mar 2008 16:31

Tommy Youlden's Ears Blimey, there really are some literalists on here aren't there! The chip shop comment was a joke. Maybe a joke without the funny bit, but a joke nonetheless. All I can say is that the source is impeccable. Source might have got it wrong. Deal might not happen even if source is right. But it's what I heard. It is not unfounded. But it is a rumour.

Money sounds toppy to me - but then if Hicks and Gillett paid £218.9m for LFC, and DIC are now offering £400m, then maybe other US based funds would like a bit of that.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 07 Mar 2008 17:29

Personally I wouldn't mind someone from the US (disclosure: I'm a "yank") coming-in as long as they truly loved the game and had a real interest in the club, the fans, and the community. Funds and a real interest are the key. Not sure how many of you follow US basketball but an owner the likes of the Dallas Maverick's Mark Cuban would be a hoot.

Hicks and Gillett know jack of the sport and certainly can't claim to know the town. If only I had a billion lying around.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 07 Mar 2008 21:11

Tommy Youlden's Ears Have been told, by a decent source, that club is in advanced talks with some of Marcus' countrymen. The whole thing; club, stad, hotel and chip shops. I've heard a price but won't say for now as might implicate source. More than I'd have expected though.

Implications? Dunno, might provide dynamic new leadership, loads of money and a future brighter than a very bright thing. Might also coincide with relegation, provide an excuse for Sir Steve to 'take a break from football', and trigger the whole thing unravelling as with so many clubs we could all name.

IMO it'd be a v sad day. I reckon Mr Mad has been a fine Chairman. He has his faults, but don't we all. No doubt events of the last few months- worriesover lack of spending etc. - will lead many to say 'good riddance'. I think that would be sadly misplaced. I hear he's been driven to distraction by the sleaze, greed and general nausea surrounding the prem, agents and players. So football will lose a decent (in all senses) businessman, and gain what? Maybe another Randy Lerner (everything crossed), but maybe another Hicks (oh dear). We'll all be going to games at the Ginsters RoyalBowl.

You will have to give me a clue about the source as I have heard nothing of the sort.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 07 Mar 2008 22:59

Sir Rodger Doyle
Tommy Youlden's Ears Have been told, by a decent source, that club is in advanced talks with some of Marcus' countrymen. The whole thing; club, stad, hotel and chip shops. I've heard a price but won't say for now as might implicate source. More than I'd have expected though.

You will have to give me a clue about the source as I have heard nothing of the sort.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Mar 2008 13:26

Is this the same source that told you Robbie Fowler was joining in the autumn?

bikey_is_god!

by bikey_is_god! » 11 Mar 2008 20:16

yeah, but john's been talking about selling for years, he doesn't really like football that much...

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 12 Mar 2008 00:35

Tommy Youlden's claim to fame is that he scored the goal that never was. I guess therefore that this is the rumour that never was.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 13 Mar 2008 09:52

Without wishing to be pedantic, it isn't 'the rumour that never was'.

The rumour exists. Look! It's here. Perhaps the rumoured deal that never was, or the rumoured deal that fell through.

I love that I first posted this just over a week ago, and that the fact that nothing has happened yet apparently means I made it up and it's gone away! How long do some of you guys think it takes to complete such a transaction. It's a bit more complex than popping down to Tesco for six cans of ale.

I have no desire for a Warholian 15 minutes based on made up nonsense. The source is good, the deal was mooted. The buyer may have stepped away, or p'raps Mr Mad did. I don't know whether RFC sought the deal, or whether the buyer did. Anyone who works in business knows more deals dissolve, and dissolve early, than make it to closure. This deal may or may not happen. It may be dead already, it may be trundling along, I have no idea. I heard a rumour, I posted, I am not involved, I probably won't hear more. Enjoy your dismissive answers as you may. But I didn't make it up.

And for those who suggest that JM wouldn't sell. Well, he sold AutoTrader when he felt that the price was right and others could take it further. It's now worth many times what he got for it, but the deal worked for him at the time, and maybe if he'd stayed, it wouldn't have grown as it has. Sometimes a business needs a new owner. I bet he loved Trader too - it made him rich and must have satisfied a deep entrepreneurial need. But it shows that he has form as a 'pass and go' entrepreneur rather than a 'collector of businesses'. In RFC he now has a considerable asset, which is probably close to the top of its value (see endless "we've overachieved" threads). Certainly, for it to rise in value, a new level of investment is required (see 'Why don't we buy more/better players" posts ad nauseum). All that adds up to this being a good time to sell, whatever JMs love for the club. Doesn't mean he will sell, but surely means he'll look around to establish the club's value. He'd be daft not to, and I don't think even his biggest critics here think he's daft.

So cut the sarcasm fellas, you wouldn't want to look mean spirited would you? I'm not trying to con you, wind you up or or self-promote. I ain't no SDR/Thou Voice...it's just a rumour I heard.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 13 Mar 2008 09:57

North Somerset Royal Tommy Youlden's claim to fame is that he scored the goal that never was. I guess therefore that this is the rumour that never was.

He used to live down my street when I was a nipper. I thought he had big ears. He gave me a signed photo. Soon after I went to a game, and fell for RFC. So it was Tommy's fault (or should that be 'gift'). And I thought he had big ears. Sinister, huh?