Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Tommy Smith Thread

by Thaumagurist* » 25 Aug 2009 10:15

Row Z Royal
Thaumagurist* Can you improve your terrible English first before posting anymore, please?

Your a nidiot

I wasn't posting it as a question.
;)

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 25 Aug 2009 10:16

Thaumagurist*
Row Z Royal
Thaumagurist* Can you improve your terrible English first before posting anymore, please?

Your a nidiot

I wasn't posting it as a question.
;)

Spacey, people in glass houses should throw their stones at you.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 25 Aug 2009 10:18

Row Z Royal
Spacey, people in glass houses should throw their stones at you.

+1 :lol:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Aug 2009 10:23

Vision
handbags_harris That's not saying we were trying to cheat Watford out of him, that's us being incredibly cheeky and stupid. That's not cheating. In fact, I'm not sure how you do "cheat" in a player transfer :|

Cheeky perhaps but I still don't see how trying to get the best deal possible is "stupid". This time it didn't work for us (although I bet we'll never actually find out the full details of this transfer) but in the past it most certainly has.

I feel it was stupid because coming in with what I deem to be a ridiculously low bid was such a blatant waste of everybody's time. The Smith saga could have been done and dusted weeks ago if we'd initially gone in with a realistic offer and worked from there, probably before the start of the season. Smith could have been integrated and embedded into the team, and we may not have had such shoddy results.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing!

And it's also nice to be able to have a difference of opinion with someone on here, debate the relevant points, and not be insulted!!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 25 Aug 2009 10:28

Smith will train with the squad this morning in a light drill before tonights game, and then sign later this afternoon and be unveiled at the game tonight

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 10:30

floyd__streete
Royal Rother We win, we get our man. (Presumably.)

They win, they get the big fee.

Everyone's happy.

Except Reading FC supporters of course who will look for the big negative.

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetai ... 22,00.html

:lol:

Don't you just love it when a cheap shot scores an own goal?

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 25 Aug 2009 10:31

Smith's imminent arrival is very good news. It's going to be a "Battle Royal" but a top-six finish is still a strong possibility for The Biscuitmen this season.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Aug 2009 10:49

I presume this is already posted in this thread but to remind people of the current situation - from the Evening Post...

In a dramatic change of events Watford striker Tommy Smith will complete his £1.8million move to Reading today after passing a mdeical yesterday.

The Reading Post can confirm that the 29-year-old forward was at Royals’ Hogwood Park training ground on Monday and has already said his goodbyes to his team-mates.

Yesterday Watford chairman Jimmy Russo released a statement on their official website saying that Royals had pulled out of the deal after stalling on a £200,000 payment, based on Smith’s appearances at Reading.

As reported first in the Reading Post on June 10, the former Sunderland and Derby player was identified as Brendan Rodgers' number one transfer target when he left Vicarage Road for Madejski Stadium two months ago.

Tommy Smith is Reading FC's top target

So far this season Smith has scored twice for the Hornets and helped set up more than double that. Smith didn’t travel with the Hornets last night as they prepare for their cup game with Leeds United tonight.

When at Watford Northern Irishman Rodgers dubbed the play-maker as "Superman" after he almost single-handedly saved them from relegation last season.

Smith is expected to be handed a three-year deal at Madejski Stadium and could take the vacant squad number 11 following Stephen Hunt's departure.

The Hemel-born player will be unavailable for Royals' Carling Cup tie against Barnsley at Madejski Stadium tomorrow (kick-off 8pm) as he is cup-tied.

He is likely to start for Royals against The Tykes at Oakwell in the Championship clash this Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 25 Aug 2009 10:52

floyd__streete http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~1766022,00.html

From that, I notice:

Jimmy Russo give credit to Marcus Evans at Ipswich for backing his manager and negotiating with us in a quiet and discreet manner.

Er, Watford haven't exactly been discreet or quiet in their dealings with us! :shock:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 25 Aug 2009 10:54

Thaumagurist*
floyd__streete http://www.watfordfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~1766022,00.html

From that, I notice:

Jimmy Russo give credit to Marcus Evans at Ipswich for backing his manager and negotiating with us in a quiet and discreet manner.

Er, Watford haven't exactly been discreet or quiet in their dealings with us! :shock:

Because we weren't with them, I should imagine.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 25 Aug 2009 11:30

Row Z Royal
Thaumagurist*

From that, I notice:

When have the club said anything about our negotiations? The only comment IIRC has come from Brendan very early on and speculation from the press and a lot from Russo.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 25 Aug 2009 11:39

CholseyRoyal
Row Z Royal

When have the club said anything about our negotiations? The only comment IIRC has come from Brendan very early on and speculation from the press and a lot from Russo.

Being quiet in the dealings would have been not talking about them at all.

The press is like a vast underground lake in a vast underground cave. The tiniest drop from the ceiling echoes, reverberates and and ripples throughout the cave. Even the whispered one-liner from Rodgers on the subject has been enough to make this an uncomfortably noisy situation for Reading FC.

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 25 Aug 2009 11:46

This Rusk o bloke, whatever his name is, really does need to see someone about infantile behavior

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Aug 2009 11:52

Aeroguide This Rusk o bloke, whatever his name is, really does need to see someone about infantile behavior

Makes you wonder if he is a nobber in disguise :lol:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 11:54

Have we signed him yet?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 12:01

Norfolk Royal Have we signed him yet?

Who???

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 25 Aug 2009 12:04

Terminal Boardom
Aeroguide This Rusk o bloke, whatever his name is, really does need to see someone about infantile behavior

Makes you wonder if he is a nobber in disguise :lol:

Or could it be this bloke but not in disguise

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Aug 2009 12:05

Row Z Royal
CholseyRoyal
Row Z Royal

Being quiet in the dealings would have been not talking about them at all.

The press is like a vast underground lake in a vast underground cave. The tiniest drop from the ceiling echoes, reverberates and and ripples throughout the cave. Even the whispered one-liner from Rodgers on the subject has been enough to make this an uncomfortably noisy situation for Reading FC.

Whilst BR should not have said what he said, the above is merely making mountains out of mole hills in order to criticize the club and justify Watfords' stance.

I'm pleased BR got his man as he looks a decent player.

However, we have still paid too much for a 29 year old who will be out of contract at the end of the season and had every right to start the bidding below £1m for a player who is not worth much more.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 25 Aug 2009 12:32

Norfolk Royal Have we signed him yet?

Word is that hes having a medical :wink:

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 25 Aug 2009 12:57

I pity the fellow already.

68 Pages of will he/won't he sign, "he just what we need" posts.

If he doesn't get a hat trick in his first match, the Reading fickle massive will boo him, and he will be roundly abused on here.

2326 posts