SPECULATION - Is Matthew Taylor available?

415 posts
Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 07 Dec 2007 11:07

Stranded Did you actually read my full post?

Stupid question really as you clearly just saw Gunnarsson's name and that inflicted some sort of Pavlovian response in you.

He felt compelled to eat a massive cake?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Dec 2007 11:44

couldnt possibly play fae and harps in the same team IMO unless as part of a 5 with cisse or gunnar behind them

why does everyone forget cisse
he s looked good when hes played, and is the gunnar replacement
fae is the attacking midfielder

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2007 12:01

Agree Fae and Harps can't play together. Makes the Fae signing seem even starnger.

Like Harps he's a holding mid who looks to get forward sometimes.

To be honest I don't think any of our midfeilders are suited to playing with each other. All are too defensive.

Not sure about Cisse, he's hardly impressed in the reserves. Like Fae he looks unsure of the English game.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Dec 2007 12:11

The reason Gunnar keeps getting played is that he is the only experienced defensive CM that we have . I agree that Cisse is his obvious replacement but this is a risk due to lack of experience and SC does not generally like taking too many risks. Having said this after Gunnar's truly awful display against Boro (I am not anti Gunnar by the way and think he is a valuable squad player) I would not be surprised if Cisse started with Harper on Saturday.

I also see no way that Fae and Harper can play in the same team. If Fae (who is obviously an attacking midfielder who does not like defending!) comes good I think he may well replace Harper in due course. Again I am a great Harper fan BUT I cannot help feeling that all our problems stem from midfield this season.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2007 12:32

Every resereve game I've seen Fae play, he's sat infront of the back four. Even when playing with Cisse.

He's a holding player, who can get forward. Which is just the same as Harper.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 07 Dec 2007 12:59

Having seen neither of them play, but having read some of the posts on this and other threads, I am now totally in the dark about Fae and Cisse with regard to who does what. Mainly attacking, defending, going forward, staying back, holding...? There seem to be many different statements about their best or typical roles. Enlighten me please someone.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 07 Dec 2007 13:10

Old Biscuitman Having seen neither of them play, but having read some of the posts on this and other threads, I am now totally in the dark about Fae and Cisse with regard to who does what. Mainly attacking, defending, going forward, staying back, holding...? There seem to be many different statements about their best or typical roles. Enlighten me please someone.

That's easy. Both have not proved their worth, hence neither can get a game.

When I've seen them play I have been completely underwhelmed by their level of performance and am beginning to think that SC has been sold a pup (twice).

And it pains me to say that.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Dec 2007 13:45

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Every resereve game I've seen Fae play, he's sat infront of the back four. Even when playing with Cisse.

One of us obviously confused. I also go to a fair few reserve games and to me Cisse is more the holding player and Fae attacking. This was particularly evident at the Chelsea reserve game recently. Are you sure you are not mixing them up?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 07 Dec 2007 13:49

Racists.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2007 14:20

andrew1957
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Every resereve game I've seen Fae play, he's sat infront of the back four. Even when playing with Cisse.

One of us obviously confused. I also go to a fair few reserve games and to me Cisse is more the holding player and Fae attacking. This was particularly evident at the Chelsea reserve game recently. Are you sure you are not mixing them up?

To be honest no ones seen enough of Fae to really judge what kind of player he is. I'd like to think he'll become a better, tougher, version of Harper....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Dec 2007 14:34

Muskrat
Old Biscuitman Having seen neither of them play, but having read some of the posts on this and other threads, I am now totally in the dark about Fae and Cisse with regard to who does what. Mainly attacking, defending, going forward, staying back, holding...? There seem to be many different statements about their best or typical roles. Enlighten me please someone.

That's easy. Both have not proved their worth, hence neither can get a game.

When I've seen them play I have been completely underwhelmed by their level of performance and am beginning to think that SC has been sold a pup (twice).

And it pains me to say that.

cisse has been injured, not really kept out of the team

in his one proper start had sids in his pocket forcing moronio to take him off at half time in humiliating fashion
he was later sent off for nowt.

if he starts vs liverpool he'll play well and start the next game too

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Dec 2007 14:37

Cisse is considered to be a similar sort of player to Parick Vieira

Fae has been described as a midfield workhorse and plays a "destroyer's" role for Ivory Coast.

It also says, on ESPN Soccernet, he is a good tackler, quick and can play wide on the left!

Despite SC's misgivings about the differences in the game between here and France perhaps its time to give Fae an opportunity as he's going to have to pick up the way the game is played here sooner or later so why waste him when it seems the way we're generally playing anyway would make little difference.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 07 Dec 2007 15:40

Tomorrow, little to lose. Caution to the winds and throw them both in if fit, I say. If they can pass even half of the test Gerrard will give them, that will teach them more about the English game than a dozen games in the Reserves.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 07 Dec 2007 16:02

Barry the bird boggler Cisse is considered to be a similar sort of player to Parick Vieira

Fae has been described as a midfield workhorse and plays a "destroyer's" role for Ivory Coast.

It also says, on ESPN Soccernet, he is a good tackler, quick and can play wide on the left!

Despite SC's misgivings about the differences in the game between here and France perhaps its time to give Fae an opportunity as he's going to have to pick up the way the game is played here sooner or later so why waste him when it seems the way we're generally playing anyway would make little difference.

I think at the moment Fae is behind even Cisse and Bikey. Coppell clearly does not rate him. Which worries me as Coppell seems always to be right with these things.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 08 Dec 2007 11:13

Was watching Premier League Review yesterday and the main interview on it was with Matthew Taylor. One interesting thing that could work in our favour should we go for him is he is local to Reading and he commutes to Portsmouth each day. His wife does not want to move from the area so having a young family I dont think they will. This could possibly leave it with just us and maybe Fulham as main contenders for his signature.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 08 Dec 2007 11:54

ArfnipIsARoyal Was watching Premier League Review yesterday and the main interview on it was with Matthew Taylor. One interesting thing that could work in our favour should we go for him is he is local to Reading and he commutes to Portsmouth each day. His wife does not want to move from the area so having a young family I dont think they will. This could possibly leave it with just us and maybe Fulham as main contenders for his signature.

He lives in Aylesbury and is in the process of having an extension on his house (and i believe he's also got a 2nd child on the way) so yes you're right it does work in our favour!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 08 Dec 2007 12:07

Slinky
ArfnipIsARoyal Was watching Premier League Review yesterday and the main interview on it was with Matthew Taylor. One interesting thing that could work in our favour should we go for him is he is local to Reading and he commutes to Portsmouth each day. His wife does not want to move from the area so having a young family I dont think they will. This could possibly leave it with just us and maybe Fulham as main contenders for his signature.

He lives in Aylesbury and is in the process of having an extension on his house (and i believe he's also got a 2nd child on the way) so yes you're right it does work in our favour!

Not if he has to take a 15k a week pay cut to leave Pompey

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 08 Dec 2007 13:12

The whole year inn
Slinky

Not if he has to take a 15k a week pay cut to leave Pompey

he's on 25k, not out of our reach

CentiaRoyal

by CentiaRoyal » 11 Dec 2007 11:25

i would love him at the club!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Dec 2007 13:51

Stranded Did you actually read my full post?

Stupid question really as you clearly just saw Gunnarsson's name and that inflicted some sort of Pavlovian response in you.

Mmmmm, Pavlova...

415 posts