Coppell aims for new signings

155 posts
runrunrunrungilksey

Re: Coppell aims for new signings

by runrunrunrungilksey » 30 Dec 2008 12:17

Bill Oddie's Beard I was actually pretty impressed with Jay Bothroyd on Boxing Day, although given his recent comments I don't think he'd be particularly welcome.

wcbap

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 30 Dec 2008 12:17

Alan Partridge Personally I'd like to see Nugent. Young, proven in this league and definitely got something to prove. Looks surplus to requirements at Pompey but would certainly improve the team nevermind the squad here.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few people move on from the current squad and fingers x'd Reading manage to go up I think we could almost have a revolving door at the end of the season.

I think Coppell's interview sums up the current squad quite well. The improvement of Federici means that a keeper probably isn't a priority in the short term, although long term I think a replacement for Hahnemann could be on the agenda maybe at the end of the season. It's all based on what division Reading are in, if they go up the defense is going to need serious surgery. Again all ifs and buts.

If we don't lose anyone we don't want to lose then 1 decent forward will be all we need for this season. Obviously if Hunt leaves then another winger would be on the agenda as well.

Can you remind me when Nugent last scored a goal?

Not sure we need someone with shattered confidence, who hasn't played regularly for over a year now. And, even when he was in the Championship, didn't actually have a great scoring record.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Dec 2008 12:20

I feel we need a new striker and a left back.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 12:21

LoyalRoyalFan I feel we need a new striker and a left back.

Armstrong's been superb this season and I think Goldbourne would be capable of stepping up to the plate if required

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 30 Dec 2008 12:32

Interesting to read from the OS he is concerned about the options up front. He has always said that he likes to have 4 four strikers, considering we have doyle, long, n.hunt, lita, mooney, bignall and church. I can only assume Lita and mooney are on their way out and that bignall and church are not up to scratch yet.
He also said he would want to make a "couple of additions" and the only other position we maybe short on is centre back. I know we have pearce, bikey, ivar and doobs but i can see pearce staying on loan at southampton all season leaving us with ivar, doobs and bikey.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Dec 2008 12:36

Big Foot

Armstrong's been superb this season and I think Goldbourne would be capable of stepping up to the plate if required

It never hurts to have two left backs. We could even buy a versatile full back who could play right back as well.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 30 Dec 2008 12:38

Big Foot

If he's got confidence in Golbourne, why didn't he use that option at the beginning of the season instead of sticking S Hunt there?

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 30 Dec 2008 12:46

Sarah Star
Big Foot

If he's got confidence in Golbourne, why didn't he use that option at the beginning of the season instead of sticking S Hunt there?

Good shout, Big Foot - how does it feel to murked by a bird on a football related matter, let alone a bird whose first ever RFC game was this year. :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Dec 2008 12:56

Sarah Star
Big Foot

Because Golbourne had a pelvis injury at the time. Ironically for him, he'd waited a couple of years for a chance to replace NS - and when that chance came along he wasn't fit enough to take it.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Dec 2008 13:00

Losing Armstrong to injury would be a big blow now but I doubt we'll fork out for extra cover unless we get promoted.

With regard to Hahnamann; provided he makes a full recovery I think Steve Coppell will be happy with his goalkeeping options regardless of which league we are in next season. There are older keepers than Marcus still playing at the top level.....................he could still be our No2 in four years time.

Another striker is far and away the obvious gaping hole in a strong squad and Dave Kitson MKII would be ideal......................getting bored yet, Dave?

I liked the look of Routledge, too. Given all the money we've raked in selling the disillusioned members of our Premiership squad, wouldn't it be nice to see our cautious manager and Chairman splashing out on one class player who might be the difference between another trip to Barnsley or a return to The Emirates?

For the most part, I applaud the way in which this club has been run over the last decade but if it's REALLY serious about getting back to where it feels it belongs, now would be a good time for action to speak louder than words.

I know the world is currently experiencing unprecedented financial difficulties but I'm sure RFC didn't expect to rake in £5m+ for the likes of Dave Kitson and £2m out of £14m? could go a very long way in the current climate.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 30 Dec 2008 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 30 Dec 2008 13:04

Nugent is never coming this is turning into a Robbie Fowler saga

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Dec 2008 13:27

Glen Little's Nose Craig Mackail-Smith for me.

First read that as Craig Maskall :D

We could do with buying another striker, or even just getting someone in on loan might do the job, Harewood perhaps? Other then that perhaps just try one last time to bury the hatch with Lita and give him a chance as there's little point in selling him unless someone offers close to a million.

Wouldn't mind another winger even if SHunt doesn't go so Henry can be sent out on loan again.

Defence is fine really, unless we pick up someone with the Premiership/Next year's promotion tilt in mind.

A veteran keeper in on loan might be a good idea as well even if it's only for a month or two, someone like Warner that is used to sitting on the bench and then A-Fed can be farmed out.

RFCBoy

by RFCBoy » 30 Dec 2008 13:54

I think we do need another striker. We are supposedly offering 300k for Mifsud but that's just paper talk but i agree with the possibility of Fryatt or Nugent as they are both young, hungry players needing a chance.

I also think we need a ball winner in the midfield to play alongside either Harper or Marek. Sure Cisse does a good job but i just feel he's a bit slow at times and can't put in a bone crunching tackle when needed like Sidwell used to do. If we can find a ball winning midfielder and striker over January, i think we can push on and challenge Wolves to the bitter end.

How good would it be to get promotion on the last day vs Birmingham :lol: see all those Brummies faces drop as we go 2nd leaving them to battle it out in the play offs. Or get cardiff over 2 legs in the play offs and win at Wembley if required(let's hope not). :D

URZ!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 14:18

Sarah Star If he's got confidence in Golbourne, why didn't he use that option at the beginning of the season instead of sticking S Hunt there?
:P You have to earn the right to comment to me "Sarah Star" :roll: See below for your lesson.

Dirk Gently
Sarah Star
Big Foot Armstrong's been superb this season and I think Goldbourne would be capable of stepping up to the plate if required

Because Golbourne had a pelvis injury at the time. Ironically for him, he'd waited a couple of years for a chance to replace NS - and when that chance came along he wasn't fit enough to take it.

mini_dariusz Good shout, Big Foot - how does it feel to murked by a bird on a football related matter, let alone a bird whose first ever RFC game was this year.
Wouldn't know, mush 8)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Dec 2008 14:19

ball winning midfielder got to be ben watson love to see him at the club probably quite chaep too

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 30 Dec 2008 14:22

WoodleyRoyal ball winning midfielder got to be ben watson love to see him at the club probably quite chaep too

Steve Sidwell Mk.II.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Dec 2008 14:23

i think watson better tbh

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Dec 2008 14:32

LoyalRoyalFan
Big Foot

It never hurts to have two left backs. We could even buy a versatile full back who could play right back as well.

We've already got 3 left backs, and we've also already got a versatile full back who can play both sides (Kelly). In fact I believe Rosenior may be able to play on the left as well as the right ( and so he should, it's not hard to switch sides !)

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 30 Dec 2008 14:33

WoodleyRoyal i think watson better tbh

Kevin? Yes
Ben? No
Last edited by Big Foot on 30 Dec 2008 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Dec 2008 14:34

I take anything Coppell says with regards to transfer windows with a pinch of salt, tbh.

155 posts