Back from the game - Burnley Away

106 posts
RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game - Burnley Away

by RobRoyal » 23 Oct 2010 19:43

A very encouraging performance today, and though the scoreline flattered our efforts a little we were deserved winners. Tabb's classy pass and Long's pace won what looked a legitimate penalty, well converted by Long. Our midfield trio consistently had the better of theirs, and both our centre-backs were dependable (save for one Mills slip that nearly cost us). Sweet second goal by McAnuff, who had been industrious and threatening throughout. Tabb, HRK and Long were drawing a lot of fouls thanks to their acceleration, Long drawing the foul that led to the sending off, which was pretty decisive. Though we let Burnley back in the game at that point (maybe because Karacan's injury and resting Tabb threw away our midfield control), we always looked sure to score on the break. Long missed a great one-on-one thanks to a poor first touch, and HRK and Antonio shot wide in great positions. Then Long made our third for Antonio with a cool head inside the box. Church took his late goal brilliantly, side footed into the top corner, after being cleverly played through by Howard.

Federici - not much to do but kept out two decent efforts that were well within his reach.
Harte and Griffin were steady at the back but failed to contribute much going forward.
Khiz and Mills were almost immaculate.
Karacan, Tabb and Howard were all very good indeed. What a difference Tabb makes back in the side - lots of harrying, lots of running dangerously with the ball and a few smart passes. Faded later on but was my MOTM. Howard also excellent.
HRK did ok, a threat with his pace but often picked the wrong option when up against the full-back. Took a poor first touch and shot wide when clean through - might have played it across for Long.
McAnuff - wasn't at Bristol but no sign of lack of motivation today. Beat the full-back on a few occasions as well as cutting inside and running at goal - had one decent shot from range on his left foot. Took the goal with a classy finish.
Long - another tough day up front on his own, winning more headers than you'd expect but seldom finding anyone from them. Drifting out wide to find space and leaving us with no-one to aim at in the box. Showed his poor touch when put clear through in the second half. Nevertheless, had a big impact with a won and well-taken penalty, drawing the red card, and a clever and unselfish assist for Antonio's goal. Much credit due.

Burnley were awful, late to everything in the tackle and bossed by our midfield. Season ticket holder I know said it was the worst he'd seen them play for years. The home fans were deeply pissed off at the ref for 85 minutes, but as far as I could see he got the big decisions right. A handful of extremely hopeful penalty calls were ignored.

Disappointing away support today the only thing to take the gloss off a little. Must have been less than 400.

biscuitman

Re: Back from the game - Burnley Away

by biscuitman » 23 Oct 2010 19:57

Support is generally poor around around that area. After going to Bristol on Tuesday I think a few people didn't think we would get anything today and will save their money for QPR, Watford etc.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Oct 2010 20:39

That was a strange one. I don't think I've seen such a clueless performance by a team who won so heavily. A strong defence and a fortunate (but seemingly definite) early penalty, plus a terrible Burnley team, saw us through. With decent strikers it could've been more - Antonio's miss was horrible, and I'm glad he got a goal immediately after if only for his confidence.
Referee had a fairly poor game. If a player is deemed to have dived, a yellow card should result, no? Two of their players managed to avoid this, most notably Iwelumo's cynical tumble with a perfect swan dive motion. The referee seemed hesitant to give cards out. Bikey did his regular violent protestation when a decision went against him, screaming abuse at a linesman, and got away with a quiet word. I convinced myself Matt Mills would flare up after a nasty kick in the shoulder from Iwelumo, but he limited himself to a pointedly aggressive aerial challenge shortly after. Their red was entirely justified, so they

Highlights -
Long playing to the best of his abilities, harrying and challenging constantly. Still capable of turning attack into oxf*rd all in the blink of an eye, but was effective today.
Tabb was unaffected by injury - he was virtually a second striker for much of today, and while he can't match Gylfi for creativity, his energetic pressuring was a key aspect of why we won today.
As I said before, the defence looked very solid today. Being an exile, this is the first game I've managed to see in person this season so I was prepared for some slapstick errors. Khizanishvili looked as good as he did last season, though, and Mills showed his best and kept his temper.

Kicker-style ratings, 1-6 -
Fed 4 (couple of fumbles, tipped an easy ball away when a clean save would've been fairly easy)
Griffin 3
Mills 2
Khizanishvili 2,5
Harte 3
Karacan 3
Howard 3.5
McAnuff 2,5
Tabb 2
HRK 3
Long 2
(Church 3,5; Antonio 4)

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 23 Oct 2010 21:01

prostak That was a strange one. I don't think I've seen such a clueless performance by a team who won so heavily. A strong defence and a fortunate (but seemingly definite) early penalty, plus a terrible Burnley team, saw us through. With decent strikers it could've been more - Antonio's miss was horrible, and I'm glad he got a goal immediately after if only for his confidence.
Referee had a fairly poor game. If a player is deemed to have dived, a yellow card should result, no? Two of their players managed to avoid this, most notably Iwelumo's cynical tumble with a perfect swan dive motion. The referee seemed hesitant to give cards out. Bikey did his regular violent protestation when a decision went against him, screaming abuse at a linesman, and got away with a quiet word. I convinced myself Matt Mills would flare up after a nasty kick in the shoulder from Iwelumo, but he limited himself to a pointedly aggressive aerial challenge shortly after. Their red was entirely justified, so they

Highlights -
Long playing to the best of his abilities, harrying and challenging constantly. Still capable of turning attack into oxf*rd all in the blink of an eye, but was effective today.
Tabb was unaffected by injury - he was virtually a second striker for much of today, and while he can't match Gylfi for creativity, his energetic pressuring was a key aspect of why we won today.
As I said before, the defence looked very solid today. Being an exile, this is the first game I've managed to see in person this season so I was prepared for some slapstick errors. Khizanishvili looked as good as he did last season, though, and Mills showed his best and kept his temper.

Kicker-style ratings, 1-6 -
Fed 4 (couple of fumbles, tipped an easy ball away when a clean save would've been fairly easy)
Griffin 3
Mills 2
Khizanishvili 2,5
Harte 3
Karacan 3
Howard 3.5
McAnuff 2,5
Tabb 2
HRK 3
Long 2
(Church 3,5; Antonio 4)

I thought we won 4-0 away which appears to me to be a bit of a thrashing.

I have had a few beers today but I have not got a clue what you are on about. Those ratings have left my flabber gasted!

Kicker ratings WTF are they?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2010 21:02

I notice from many reports on here that when Reading win it seems to be due to the complete ineptitude of the opposition and whenever Reading lose it because of their own ineptitiude.

Must be a really crap league this year for us to be on the fringe of the play-offs again.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Oct 2010 21:02

1 is highest. 6 is lowest. We didn't play that well. That help?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2010 21:04

Interesting. Dellor and Gooding thought it was a superb performance.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Oct 2010 21:10

Royal Rother I notice from many reports on here that when Reading win it seems to be due to the complete ineptitude of the opposition and whenever Reading lose it because of their own ineptitiude.

Must be a really crap league this year for us to be on the fringe of the play-offs again.

Can't speak for any of the other games, or comments on here thereof. As I said, I've seen two full Reading games this season - Leicester and today. I'm the sort of person who's more pleased with an efficient 1-0 win than a 4-0 where we never seem in full control. Towards the end, for instance, when playing against 10 men, Eagles (I think) was allowed an uncontested shot from the edge of the box after arriving unmarked. It might be nice to throw unabashed praise at the team, but I'd rather give an accurate impression of the game as I saw it.

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 23 Oct 2010 21:12

We didn't play well yet won at a canter? Weird! What would the score have been if we had played well?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 23 Oct 2010 21:12

prostak 1 is highest. 6 is lowest. We didn't play that well. That help?

Without sounding pedantic why not just have the marks out of ten thingy?

Apart from that you have obviously been really spoiled.
If you think that a 4-0 away win was bad, you should have sat through some of the other dross we have had to put up with!

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 23 Oct 2010 21:14

I'll second that!

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Oct 2010 21:19

I know I've been lucky. The last season I was in Reading for some time was the first after relegation. Believe me, I'd rather have the sloppy victories than the certainty it was all doomed, as it felt then. But again - do you want people just to come on here and say YAY WINN or BOO LOSEING accordingly? I'm sure other people who were at the game will effuse once they get back to Reading, but I can't ignore the fact that a team playing well wouldn't have lost to us today.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Oct 2010 21:22

What is encouraging for the season ahead is that we tend to finish games strongly.
Remember the Barnsley game where it was 1-0 till injury time and we won 3-0.
The same goes for today where we were 2-0 up but scored the extra 2 late on.
By all accounts we finished strongly at Bristol and we did in the Swansea game.
We may have a side lacking in a lot of areas but effort is not one of them.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Oct 2010 21:24

Victor Meldrew What is encouraging for the season ahead is that we tend to finish games strongly.
Remember the Barnsley game where it was 1-0 till injury time and we won 3-0.
The same goes for today where we were 2-0 up but scored the extra 2 late on.
By all accounts we finished strongly at Bristol and we did in the Swansea game.
We may have a side lacking in a lot of areas but effort is not one of them.

I will agree with that. The players clearly wanted to score as many as possible, and put plenty of effort in right to the end. 1s all round on that front ;).

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Oct 2010 21:26

prostak I know I've been lucky. The last season I was in Reading for some time was the first after relegation. Believe me, I'd rather have the sloppy victories than the certainty it was all doomed, as it felt then. But again - do you want people just to come on here and say YAY WINN or BOO LOSEING accordingly? I'm sure other people who were at the game will effuse once they get back to Reading, but I can't ignore the fact that a team playing well wouldn't have lost to us today.

We have had the discussion in the past and IIRC most on here don't care about performance and the result is everything.
Keep posting what you see Prostak and thanks from those of us who couldn't make it for adding your views.
BTW you seem like a bit of a lucky mascot-would you mind going to a few more games. :wink:

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 23 Oct 2010 22:39

Think Kebe being injured was a blessing in disguise. We didn't look as predictable because of it and McAnuff looked far more at home on the right hand side. The 2nd goal was much needed when it came as pressure was beginning to build with Eagles wasting chances. Does make a difference having Tabb back and the advanced midfield role allowed us to put pressure on players higher up the pitch, something i felt that was needed.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Oct 2010 22:49

Royal Rother I notice from many reports on here that when Reading win it seems to be due to the complete ineptitude of the opposition and whenever Reading lose it because of their own ineptitiude.

Hmmmm, thinking about it, when your beloved Arsenal thrash a crap team, you're saying what a great team that they are, but when they lose 1-0 to a team like Stoke who play hard tactics, you trot out the usual excuse that they were not playing fair.

True?

Then again, I do tire of idiots on this board who say Reading are crap even when they thrash Burnley 4-0 away.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 23 Oct 2010 23:16

Thanks for the considered report Prostak. Living 11,000 miles away I don't make many games these days but something balanced - rather than crass euphoria - is much more interesting and convincing and gives me much more of an inkling of what the game was really like and how the current team perform.

Cheers.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Oct 2010 23:22

4-0 against any team away from home is a great result.

If the performance didnt match the score line then fine as it means we can still win comfortably not playing the greatest

Were Burnley not undefeated up to this point at home?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 23 Oct 2010 23:25

It was certainly our best performance of the season, which was no coincidence given we were able to field a midfield that included Tabb and Howard. Tabb harrasses and plays a nice simple passing game, while Howard has that technical ability others in the team haven't and has good a workrate off the ball. Long was outstanding up-front, he continues to work hard and chase lost causes, and although he got the goal from the penalty spot he probably deserved one from open play such was the effort. HRK and McAnuff were effective as wingers, and both had their best games of the season (or in the case of HRK in his RFC career).

106 posts