Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Value on Long's Head?

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Apr 2011 14:55

If we go up he's going nowhere for at least a season

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Apr 2011 15:36

IF we go up and Long scores, say 10 before Christmas, he'll be on his way. Expect bid from Fulham, Bolton or West Brom for 2 mil if we don't go up.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 03 Apr 2011 15:52

The Real Sandhurst Royal £6M upwards is a fair value for Shane Long.

The premiership clubs with the deeper pockets could stretch their bids to around £10m.

Sir John Madejski is already rubbing his hands and counting the pounds notes into the clubs bank account, let the auction begin come season end.

If we don't keep him, then it is encouraging to hear that several clubs are interested in Long. This will surely push his price up. If Newcastle are interested, they have the money to win the auction.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 03 Apr 2011 16:07

I doubt that, were we to sell him, he would fetch much more than around £4M because he's not english. The really silly money for strikers tends to be for English players.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Apr 2011 16:36

Righto. Now who can you think of who has been sold for £6m, £13m, £12m, £7m, £20m and £12m during his career? (Plus various other loan moves.)

To save you wondering, that would be Shane Long's fellow countryman Mr Robert David Keane...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2011 17:10

LoyalRoyal22 I would go as far in saying he is better than Doyle.

If he can sustain something like this form he could be. Doyle finds it difficult to score a decent number of goals without good service, though his work rate is very good. Long can still pick up goals here and there even without great service through his strength and persistent hassling of defenders as well as his ability to be knocked over by a feather when in the box.

But plenty of strikers have one good season and struggle to replicate it. We've seen him be utter arse when it comes to performing as a striker before and this is his first real decent goalscoring run (and it's bloody brilliant).

I think Doyle would do better at a decent club... the likes of Spurs, Everton, Bolton etc. Wolves are a bit small fry for him to really score well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Apr 2011 17:23

Plenty of times the excuse was made for Doyle when he wasn't scoring that he was playing whilst not fully fit; it seems accepted that Long has been playing with injuries, niggles and strains during the last few months yet it hasn't stopped him scoring, and, even with these knocks, I'd still back Long to beat a fully fit Doyle over any sprint distance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2011 17:26

Royal Rother Plenty of times the excuse was made for Doyle when he wasn't scoring that he was playing whilst not fully fit; it seems accepted that Long has been playing with injuries, niggles and strains during the last few months yet it hasn't stopped him scoring, and, even with these knocks, I'd still back Long to beat a fully fit Doyle over any sprint distance.

Long is certainly a tank and keeps going very well when suffering from a niggly injury. Doyle's a different player and can't just bulldoze on through. I'd still back Doyle to control the ball, time a run and pick a pass over Long when they're both full fit. Though Long has improved immeasurably in the last few years at all of those.

There's a swagger about Long's game at the moment which is really impressive. I do wonder how he'd deal with another barren patch, say at the start of next seaso, though.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 03 Apr 2011 17:32

Worth remembering that his contract expires in 2012. If we stay down, expect that to knock £2mill or so off your original estimate.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Apr 2011 18:34

luckily hes trying his damdest to get us promoted this season single handedly, just so that he doesnt have to make any decisions on his future in the summer

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Apr 2011 18:53

they should extend his contract, improved terms high release price as well

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Apr 2011 18:56

He only just got his last improved contract in November!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Apr 2011 19:02

Royal Rother Plenty of times the excuse was made for Doyle when he wasn't scoring that he was playing whilst not fully fit; it seems accepted that Long has been playing with injuries, niggles and strains during the last few months yet it hasn't stopped him scoring, and, even with these knocks, I'd still back Long to beat a fully fit Doyle over any sprint distance.

Maybe but I would back Doyle to control the ball better when he got there.
Shane has had a great half-season in the Championship as have Graham at Watford,Morison at Millwall and Holt at Norwich plus Boothroyd before his injuries but IMHO none are worth more than £3million.
It really is a big step up and it would only be clubs in the lower regions of The Premiership that go for these sort of players and ,as Doyle and Jon Walters have seen, these clubs don't make many chances.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 03 Apr 2011 19:17

loyalroyal4life they should extend his contract, improved terms high release price as well

Done a few months ago in the style of S.Hunt and Doyle, so it's nailed on he's off this summer and you'd expect for a decent price too. None of this £2m malarkey.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 03 Apr 2011 21:21

Wolves are apparently interested... Looks more likely to me that we'll go up and sign Doyle!

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 03 Apr 2011 21:26

Z175 Wolves are apparently interested... Looks more likely to me that we'll go up and sign Doyle!

And Hunt! :lol:

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 03 Apr 2011 21:52

More to the point, think of our team if Long did leave. It was the same when Sigurdsson left, very worrying. :cry:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Apr 2011 22:05

Don't worry.

The team has done better without Siggy, who's to say the same won't happen if Long were to go? If the conditions are right, the education complete and the management good, then someone will step up to fill the shoes and become the next star.

Be happy.

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 03 Apr 2011 22:39

Shane long is a far more complete player than Kevin Doyle. He is strong, consistent, scores goals and never stops running. Where the hell would we be without him? In this resect he is priceless to us and we must get as much as we can for him if he goes.
I really hope he doesn't go.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Apr 2011 23:18

Trainspotter Shane long is a far more complete player than Kevin Doyle. He is strong, consistent, scores goals and never stops running. Where the hell would we be without him? In this resect he is priceless to us and we must get as much as we can for him if he goes.
I really hope he doesn't go.

Who's playing in the higher division? Who's ahead of Shane for their country? Who's playing on his own upfront for his club? Doyle.

Brian is always saying that Reading will go all out to win, Wolves don't have that luxury, they play against better teams and as such have to adapt tactics and formation to do so. We have the two best wingers in our division and play two up front. Shane has been scoring recently and it's great for our club and him because he is a nice guy but imo he is not at Doyle's level yet.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Apr 2011 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

212 posts