BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

185 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BRING. FEDS. BACK. NOW.

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 21:27

If I was going to drop anyone from the back 5 it would be Mills for Pearce. But that's because I just don't like him much and he's been pretty mediocre (compared to his ability) and error prone for most of the season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 21:29

Big Foot
FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal What a ridiculous over-reaction, just typical of our idiot fans, to ask for a player to be dropped after one poor result.

The fact it was a good save from the free-kick as well. Shocking defence to let the guy get there first ANDDDDDDD cut it back to someone with a free header. Not mccarthy's fault for the goal in the slightest.

Great save for my money. Poor wall and a complete rush of blood to the head and lack of discipline from McAnuff who should've known better than to concede a free kick there for a reckless challenge

Another thing I've noticed in a few of the goals we've conceeded, is that we don't track runners and follow up balls that go loose in the box well. I want another couple of looks at all the goals, but that certainly seemed to be another failing for their third.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 21:34

Ian Royal If I was going to drop anyone from the back 5 it would be Mills for Pearce. But that's because I just don't like him much and he's been pretty mediocre (compared to his ability) and error prone for most of the season.

^^ This.

I feel very uneasy with Mills in the side. He throws himself into too many needless tackles and gives too many free-kicks away. Pearce and Ivar ahead of Mills for me. Trust > pace at an important time of the season as this.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Apr 2011 21:35

Get real.

Ivar over Mills?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 21:36

LoyalRoyalFan Get real.

Ivar over Mills?

quality brain, ageing body vs quality moron. It's a toughie, but I'd probably go with Mills. :cry:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Apr 2011 21:38

Am I right in saying that Ivar's last appearance was against Palace? He was dreadful that day, a lot worse than what Mills was today.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Apr 2011 21:38

LoyalRoyalFan Get real.

Ivar over Mills?

In a play-off situation, yes. Ivar hasn't the pace, sure, but he has the calm head and experience. Mills gives foul after foul away needlessly. He makes me nervous. In semi's where the oppo will go down at the slightest touch, Mills could cost us dear.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Apr 2011 21:42

roadrunner
LoyalRoyalFan Get real.

Ivar over Mills?

In a play-off situation, yes. Ivar hasn't the pace, sure, but he has the calm head and experience. Mills gives foul after foul away needlessly. He makes me nervous. In semi's where the oppo will go down at the slightest touch, Mills could cost us dear.

Not counting his performance at Everton then?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 21:43

RoyalBlue
Archies Left Foot
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway.

Another crud! The player kicked it from his hands just as he let it go to kick it, then passed to another player who was in an offside position. Two offences occurring of which either could have led to the free kick

You what??!!! McCarthy attempted to throw the ball out to Griffin and the player stopped the ball with his foot after McCarthy *had released it! McCarthy wasn't attempting to kick the ball and, even if he had been, the forward did not cut across him and/or track his run so no offence committed in any shape or form. The player was perfectly entitled to stop the throw after the ball left McCarthy's hand. Furthermore, there is no way that the player he passed to was offside at the time he passed to him. I think the linesman wrongly flagged for the player blocking McCarthy's throw and we were very lucky to get let off in that manner.

Unfortunately I also think McCarthy has to take a lot of responsibility for conceding their winning goal. His set up of the wall was appalling. You do not let an opponent stand right in the middle of your wall only to move as the kick is taken! Yes, McCarthy made the initial save but that would not have been necessary had he not, in effect, left a hole in the middle of his wall in the first place!

A few minutes later we had a freekick on the edge of their area. One of our players stood in the middle of their wall and one of theirs immediately stood right in front on him. Needless to say their wall held firm and Harte's freekick was deflected away from goal.

Watch it. The mature gentlemen of HNA are so confident of their opinions that they have to resort to hurling personal abuse at you for daring to suggest a player is at fault for something. You must be "mindless" a "jerk", an "idiot" and write "drivel" according to embarrassingly immature folk who hide behind their keyboards on this forum.

I might concede that the winning goal was debateable (although as far as I'm concerned it wasn't McC's fault per se, but lack of experience), but there is NO WAY that disallowed goal was anything other than a total cock-up by the lad. To defend that in any way is just laughable beyond belief.

Again, let me reiterate to those for whom this is rocket science (or a playground name-calling fight :roll: ) ... I'm not saying "oh we've lost so let's swap a player". The deal is and always was that Feds is our number one and the only reason he didn't slot straight back in was the run we had, which was fair enough. Now not only has that run stopped but he has actually made some howlers in a short period of time. Therefore it's not a case of axing someone but merely ending the lengthened run he had in the side and reinstating our proper number one.

Awaiting abuse from the mature and articulate educated gentlemen of this forum...
Last edited by Millsy on 25 Apr 2011 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2011 21:47

May I suggest that if you don't want this reaction in future you post are rather less provocative thread title.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Apr 2011 21:48

Ian Royal May I suggest that if you don't want this reaction in future you post are rather less provocative thread title.

:lol:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Apr 2011 22:08

Ian Royal If I was going to drop anyone from the back 5 it would be Mills for Pearce. But that's because I just don't like him much and he's been pretty mediocre (compared to his ability) and error prone for most of the season.

I would take a more positive spin on this and say bring back Pearce and drop Mills because Pearce has played very well this season and is unlucky not to be in the side.
We have been fortunate not to have conceded a lot more goals in our recent run. Pompey, Leicester and Leeds all created very very good chances against us but didn't make us pay.
I would keep McCarthy in goal but I do think Pearce should be alongside Zurab.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 25 Apr 2011 22:21

2 world wars, 1 world cup Hopefully my track record shows that I'm not a player knocker and will generally rise to the defence of players and managers, and in a way this is no different because McCarthy is a great young keeper with a promising future, but we just HAVE to bring Feds back as keeper.

We have been on an incredible run and I can't fault BM for sticking with McCarthy, who to be fair has made a lot of top class saves, but it's time to revert to our tried and tested number one. I hate knocking players unduly but yet again today instead of catching a free kick or parrying it out he parries it right to the onrushing player, like he's done before, and once again he costs us a goal. Not to mention the monumental **** up of letting in another goal by kicking it into the back of their striker, which he was extremely lucky was not allowed anyway. And let's not even begin to talk about his mediocre distribution compared to Feds - one of the best distributors of the ball I've ever seen play in goal for Reading.

He is a good lad and will make a great keeper one day - in fact he's almost there already - but he's too young and inexperienced to be the main man between the sticks for us at such a crucial time.

Please BM think about bringing back Feds. If you don't then I'll accept there's a good reason as I'm beginning to repect you more every game, but surely we can't go risking it with McCarthy in the vital playoffs... can we?

(If anyone thinks this is a knee-jerk for losing, let me assure you I couldn't give a toss about the defeat today and if anything see it as a blessing in disguise: better to have a wakeup call now and focus on the playoffs than miss out on the last day and enter the playoffs with broken hearts.)

(And if anyone thinks I'm a Feds lover - I'm actually indifferent towards him. A top keeper who's made errors too but is a far safer option than the developing McCarthy.)

Are you for real?! The save from the free kick was excellent - he did well to get anything on it and was let down disgracefully by the inept Ian Harte who seems to get away with the fact that he is utterly USELESS in open play just because he can take free kicks and penalties. Yes, the disallowed goal was poor, but it didn't count and he has been absolutely superb that aside. I've lost count of the amount of goals Federici cost us and he's not in McCarthy's class. If anyone should be dropped it's our two pensioner full backs and Mills, who cost us the game today. That said, the team are allowed one poor game after the run they've been on! Jesus wept

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Apr 2011 22:23

I couldn't disagree with this thread title more. AM has been outstanding for us - earned us a point at Leeds & has done brilliantly in a number of games - Man City away springs to mind.

He has been an instrumental part of the 13 game unbeaten league run.

What sort of message does it send out to drop him? Could ruin his confidence - certainly don't want him then looking elsewhere for 1st team football & we miss keeping hold of a potential England GK.

As for the free kick - how anyone can blame him for that is beyond me. Great save & then all the defenders were caught napping. No marking whatsoever.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 25 Apr 2011 22:27

It's a close call between McCarthy and Feds, so I think it should go down to who's scored the most goals.

Feds in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Apr 2011 09:29

When push comes to shove I'd still imagine that McDermott would seen Federici as his number 1. He hasn't had any reason to drop McCarthy over the last month or so but he may have in the back of his mind a preference for Federici if it came down to a run of 3 games to decide if we go up or not.

Personally I've never been a fan of Federici's and so I probably don't subscribe to that opinion but McDermott has always backed him to the hilt (as you'd expect of course) and his extra experience at this level must be quite appealing. If he has any lingering preference for Federici in the pressure cooker of the playoffs then now is the time to make the change so he has a couple of first team games to get back up to full sharpness before it really counts.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2011 10:44

Hoop Blah When push comes to shove I'd still imagine that McDermott would seen Federici as his number 1. He hasn't had any reason to drop McCarthy over the last month or so but he may have in the back of his mind a preference for Federici if it came down to a run of 3 games to decide if we go up or not.

Personally I've never been a fan of Federici's and so I probably don't subscribe to that opinion but McDermott has always backed him to the hilt (as you'd expect of course) and his extra experience at this level must be quite appealing. If he has any lingering preference for Federici in the pressure cooker of the playoffs then now is the time to make the change so he has a couple of first team games to get back up to full sharpness before it really counts.

Man-management time.

It would probably be a safer bet to have the older hand in goal if we make Wembley.

I think McCarthy is about equal now but will be a far better keeper eventually.

Dropping him would need to be done with "a good chat" from McD to say it's to do with
deciding who to play in the (three?) PO games.

An added bonus would be Feds would be playing to make sure he's still number one.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Apr 2011 10:52

Snowball An added bonus would be Feds would be playing to make sure he's still number one.

Agreed, well more like that he's playing to keep himself in the shop window for the move to the Premier League he seems to want and to ensure he gets the pay rise he's after.

Being kept out by a 21 year old who's got very little experience at this level won't do anything for his ego or potential bank balance.

My worry with McCarthy is that he looked quite nervous when he first cam into the team (understandable really). He's looked more at home as he's played more games, but youth and inexperience is great in some situations but sometimes experience counts for a lot.

Although both are good enough keepers it could be a crucial decision for McDermott.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 26 Apr 2011 13:15

I had a view of the free kick that was more or less in line with the ball and goal and could see that if the ball were hit on target, McC wouldn't see it until very late. This was due to a Utd player standing on the end of the wall and then we put another player on him - this made it really difficult for Alex, although what else he could have done other than move further to his left. The resulting save was really good, given how late he would have seen it and our defenders should have reacted faster to clear it and defend the chip back across.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 26 Apr 2011 13:56

Frankly, LOL at trying to blame yesterday's defeat on Alex McCarthy! Any keeper in the world would struggle when his back four are completely switched off and playing virtually at half pace.

For the third goal, for instance, he made a great save from a situation where he couldn't see the ball until very late - and then was helpless because his defenders just stood and watched while Sheffield Utd were the ones who got to the ball first.

185 posts