Wi-fi signal at Madejski

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Wi-fi signal at Madejski

by Big Foot » 02 Dec 2011 08:41

Has always been very poor for those of us who are supporters. Know the club's IT budget isn't particularly big but if anyone from the club is reading then this I'm sure this is something that a large % of supporters want to see improved

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Wi-fi signal at Madejski

by ZacNaloen » 02 Dec 2011 09:31

Is there public wifi at the ground?

Must admit i've never checked.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 02 Dec 2011 10:26

There's a Madejski Stadium wifi that's password restricted I think

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Dec 2011 10:34

I thought it was for press and officials use only, not public use. This is quite separate to the conference centre wi-fi, too.

The practical difficulties of extending this all round the ground, and then providing enough WAPs to cater for the peak demand there'd be on match-days, are quite significant, though. I'm currently putting in 6 WAPs to cater for 30 people in a building - how many would you need to cover the East Stand?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Dec 2011 10:37

Wi-fi is free in the hotel bar.

The signal reaches the UW 8)

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Dec 2011 10:40

It might do , but now you've told everyone on here it won't be usable as it'll be over-subscribed.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 02 Dec 2011 10:47

Svlad Cjelli I thought it was for press and officials use only, not public use. This is quite separate to the conference centre wi-fi, too.

The practical difficulties of extending this all round the ground, and then providing enough WAPs to cater for the peak demand there'd be on match-days, are quite significant, though. I'm currently putting in 6 WAPs to cater for 30 people in a building - how many would you need to cover the East Stand?
Is there a way of providing temporary wi-fi? Wouldn't make much sense to have a solution in place specced up for a matchday of thousands of users that's only used 23 days out of 365.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Dec 2011 10:50

Big Foot
Svlad Cjelli I thought it was for press and officials use only, not public use. This is quite separate to the conference centre wi-fi, too.

Is there a way of providing temporary wi-fi? Wouldn't make much sense to have a solution in place specced up for a matchday of thousands of users that's only used 23 days out of 365.

Not easily - you need access points in place for wi-fi - and the more people you want to connect the more WAPs you need and the closer together they need to be.

It's probably cheaper to leave them in place permanently than to keep installing and re-installing them - but in any case the problem is likely to be capacity. Even about 30 people will saturate a single WAP.

Similar thing explains why it's so hard to get GSM at half-time - everyone is trying it so the link to the local mast is saturated in the same way.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 02 Dec 2011 14:16

Here are some details of the installed press network FTW.

http://www.wirelessconnections.net/inde ... adium.html

I believe Colubris are now HP.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 02 Dec 2011 17:51

Big Foot Has always been very poor for those of us who are supporters. Know the club's IT budget isn't particularly big but if anyone from the club is reading then this I'm sure this is something that a large % of supporters want to see improved

what's wrong with your 3g?

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 02 Dec 2011 18:47

It's not just wi-fi that's the problem. Several times i've gone back down the A33 to suddenly receive a load of text messages that were sent during my time at the ground.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Dec 2011 20:59

The Three signal in the stadium is superb and is far better than we used to get with Orange.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Dec 2011 23:21

Compo's Hat It's not just wi-fi that's the problem. Several times i've gone back down the A33 to suddenly receive a load of text messages that were sent during my time at the ground.

I get that. Vodafone - shows full 3G but never works

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Dec 2011 23:28

being a bit of a pig-headed luddite-technophobe

I prefer to have no distractions from my pocket gadget when I'm watching a game at the Stad, be it wifi or wifey

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Dec 2011 17:16

That Friday Feeling
Compo's Hat It's not just wi-fi that's the problem. Several times i've gone back down the A33 to suddenly receive a load of text messages that were sent during my time at the ground.

I get that. Vodafone - shows full 3G but never works

Yes there is full signal - but with several thousand people trying to maintain data communications with a single mast at the same time the capacity of it is saturated. There's a difference between how strong the signal is and how many data channels are available within that signal at the same time.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Dec 2011 13:02

Just for the record, full access at Blackpool yesterday. Was nice to be able to tweet half time with no problems.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Dec 2011 13:09

Compo's Hat Just for the record, full access at Blackpool yesterday. Was nice to be able to tweet half time with no problems.

I thought i saw you texting your tweets on Tuesday?

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Dec 2011 13:32

lowerwestjnr
Compo's Hat Just for the record, full access at Blackpool yesterday. Was nice to be able to tweet half time with no problems.

I text my brother updates in the hope that they reach him midweek as he can't make the games being in the Navy.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Dec 2011 13:34

Compo's Hat
lowerwestjnr

I text my brother updates in the hope that they reach him midweek as he can't make the games being in the Navy.

Ah i see

EPR

by EPR » 04 Dec 2011 15:08

It was that cold in the wind I think most people left their hands in the gloves and their phones in their pockets.

Temporary away stand at Blackpool ain't half exposed though; the redeveloped part looked relatively well sheltered.