Wi-fi signal at Madejski

East Grinstead Royal

Re: Wi-fi signal at Madejski

by East Grinstead Royal » 04 Dec 2011 17:53

Svlad Cjelli
That Friday Feeling
Compo's Hat It's not just wi-fi that's the problem. Several times i've gone back down the A33 to suddenly receive a load of text messages that were sent during my time at the ground.

I get that. Vodafone - shows full 3G but never works

Yes there is full signal - but with several thousand people trying to maintain data communications with a single mast at the same time the capacity of it is saturated. There's a difference between how strong the signal is and how many data channels are available within that signal at the same time.

I moved from O2 to Vodafone during the summer. With O2 I was able to send and receive phone calls and texts before, during and after games, and find out scores from other games via the BBC's mobile service. With Vodafone, I can do sweet FA.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Dec 2011 17:58

Wish O2 let me do that with my phone!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 05 Dec 2011 16:29

East Grinstead Royal
I moved from O2 to Vodafone during the summer. With O2 I was able to send and receive phone calls and texts before, during and after games, and find out scores from other games via the BBC's mobile service. With Vodafone, I can do sweet FA.

It's because there are significantly more vodafone subscribers in the stadium than O2.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 05 Dec 2011 19:37

Why would a football supporter want wifi when attending a ga :| me?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Dec 2011 12:06

TheMaraudingDog Why would a football supporter want wifi when attending a ga :| me?

I don't know, but it would at least be nice to be able to send a text message during a game or use 3g.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 06 Dec 2011 12:20

TheMaraudingDog Why would a football supporter want wifi when attending a ga :| me?

To update Twitter m8!

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 06 Dec 2011 12:41

Big Foot

To update Twitter m8!

In which case you have a phone with 3G capability. Why isn't that sufficiant?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Dec 2011 12:54

Cobi
Big Foot

To update Twitter m8!

In which case you have a phone with 3G capability. Why isn't that sufficiant?

because 3G doesn't work for most in the stadium either.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 Dec 2011 13:22

Big Foot

To update Twitter m8!

I'm normally too busy watching the game to tweet.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Dec 2011 13:24

Compo's Hat It's not just wi-fi that's the problem. Several times i've gone back down the A33 to suddenly receive a load of text messages that were sent during my time at the ground.

Glad this has been brought up as I've had problems getting any signal on my phone while in the stadium for the last season and a half, and i know others have had problems too. Its normally ok until about 2.30, but after that its gone until about 5 once leaving the concourse. Like you I then tend to receive loads all at once, but that isn't always the case, sometimes don't get any even when i know i should be.

Its all a bit odd, i mean i did often turn my phone off during games in the past, but never had any problems before, so whats changed?

Also noticed it in the queue down Wembley Way after an England game last year too.

Btw I'm on O2 and always have been.
Last edited by KC Royal on 06 Dec 2011 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 06 Dec 2011 13:26

KC Royal

Glad this has been brought up as I've had problems getting any signal on my phone while in the stadium for the last season and a half, and i know others have had problems too. Its normally ok until about 2.30, but after that its gone until about 5 once leaving the concourse. Like you I then tend to receive loads all at once, but that isn't always the case, sometimes don't get any even when i know i should be.

Its all a bit odd, i mean i did often turn my phone off during games to stop the match updates coming through in the past, but i'd never had any problems before, so whats changed?

Also noticed it in the queue down Wembley Way after an England game last year too.

As I say, the density of people in a small space trying to use the same mast means that it's over-capacity, so a proper signal can't be established until there are fewer people around. Text messaging is store-and-forward, so it'll save all the messages until it can download them to you.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 06 Dec 2011 13:58

Tony Le Mesmer
Cobi In which case you have a phone with 3G capability. Why isn't that sufficiant?

because 3G doesn't work for most in the stadium either.

Mine is absolutely fine on Virgin, slow, but fine.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Dec 2011 15:40

Svlad Cjelli
KC Royal

Its all a bit odd, i mean i did often turn my phone off during games to stop the match updates coming through in the past, but i'd never had any problems before, so whats changed?

As I say, the density of people in a small space trying to use the same mast means that it's over-capacity, so a proper signal can't be established until there are fewer people around. Text messaging is store-and-forward, so it'll save all the messages until it can download them to you.

But it didnt use to be a problem, just the last year or so. I had the same problem at the play off final as well.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 Dec 2011 21:47

TheMaraudingDog
Big Foot

To update Twitter m8!

The ball is only in play about 60 or 70 minutes of the game, easy!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2011 05:51

Barely get anything on O2, free public wi-fi would be a good promotion, maybe plug it to season ticket holders. Obviously match ticket holders would quickly get the password but it would still be a nice little gimmick. Can imagine one of the ISP's would probably provide it for some sponsorship.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 07 Dec 2011 07:59

TheMaraudingDog
Big Foot

To update Twitter m8!

Shirter

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 07 Dec 2011 09:33

Wimb Barely get anything on O2, free public wi-fi would be a good promotion, maybe plug it to season ticket holders. Obviously match ticket holders would quickly get the password but it would still be a nice little gimmick. Can imagine one of the ISP's would probably provide it for some sponsorship.

I can't start to imagine just how many wi-fi access points you'd need to serve the peaks of demand with sufficient throughput to make it usable - and just where you'd put them. That's be a major, major project.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 07 Dec 2011 11:42

'greed with TMD et al - I know people refer to the Mad Stad as the library but how far do we want to take this analogy?

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 07 Dec 2011 11:43

to bet

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Dec 2011 16:20

Wycombe Royal The Three signal in the stadium is superb and is far better than we used to get with Orange.
You can get a Three MiFi (wireless dongle) and get a day pass for £2.99 (500Mb allowance) if your really desperate to connect at the ground. I've seen many photographers uploading their snaps with dongles.

Reading Buses have free wifi on many of their services, Maybe the club can just get them to park around the groud during the match.