POLL: Is the takeover a good thing for Reading FC

Is the takeover going to be good or bad for the future of RFC.

Good
86%
Bad
14%

Total votes: 218
specialjon

Re: POLL: Is the takeover a good thing for Reading FC

by specialjon » 22 Jan 2012 21:20

Arch
specialjon Anton Zingarevich magic he wears a magic hat..... kinda works..... this is my main concern, I loved that chant....

Anton Zingarevich
He wears a magic hat
And when he saw Madejski's club
He said etc.

Excellent job done I'm 100% behind this takeover as the chant still works!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Jan 2012 01:44

ZacNaloen Good. We need investment otherwise the best we can hope for is stay where we are. We've been treading water for the last three years. Now we can build something again.

Treading water? Two cup quater finals 4th, 9th and 5th and a trip to Wembley. Some people are hard to please. :o

starbug

by starbug » 23 Jan 2012 07:28

There's a whole host of recent takeovers that haven't gone well in the Championship and Prem (certainly compared to fans initial expectations) so I'm extremely cautious at the moment hence voting no.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 23 Jan 2012 07:45

More positive than on Friday, but still concerned, especially after my post was removed on Saturday morning, there was, as there should be to any post regarding to this takeover, a mixed response of positive and negative, but as far as I am aware there was no vitriol towards an individual or any excessive language. Unless something happened from midday onwards on Saturday that I was unaware of?

Anyway, still got to go with an uncertain on this one, no doubt that more will come out in the press today?!?!?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Jan 2012 07:57

Your post was removed? Or just moved?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111249&p=3186073#p3186073

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 23 Jan 2012 08:24

Where's the "too early to say" option?

Shambles.

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 23 Jan 2012 08:40

Royal Rother Your post was removed? Or just moved?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111249&p=3186073#p3186073

Aha, that's a relief, I was getting paranoid, waiting for blacked out Mercedes outside my house and a knock on the door! cheers for that, I wasn't sure how it all worked!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 23 Jan 2012 10:47

starbug There's a whole host of recent takeovers that haven't gone well in the Championship and Prem (certainly compared to fans initial expectations) so I'm extremely cautious at the moment hence voting no.

I was thinking the same thing, but let my blind optimism get the better of me. It does seem that the majority of these type of takeovers go belly up for clubs that are not constantly in the top half of the Premiership. Why will this one be different?

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 23 Jan 2012 12:28

Obviously far too early to say. But i have a bad feeling about it all.

I read all the juvenile outpourings on the TSI thread (all about which over-paid, over-rated players people were fantasising we'd buy, and how fast we'd get promoted, how long McDermott had until he was sacked etc) with a sinking heart. Then, just by coincidence, I heard the baying mob of Arsenal 'fans' on 606 last night - calling for Wenger's head after all he's done for their club because they narrowly lost to the champions, haven't won the league in a few years and only spunked tens of millions in the last transfer window.

It all seemed symptomatic of the modern football follower's sense of entitlement. We want 'success' , we want it now, we don't want to have to wait for it or work for it, and anyone who is prepared to let anything get in the way of the short-term fix (patience, morality, careful husbandry and development of young players, the building of a club ethos, etc) must be a fool.

I really genuinely hope I'm wrong on this, but I fear these developments will not result in five or ten years time in a club that I feel so strong a sense of personal allegiance to and affection for. I don't know where these guys' money comes from, and I don't know what their objectives are for Reading FC. But you know what, I suspect they ain't Santa Claus and I will be surprised if the things that give the loyal Reading supporter pleasure and satisfaction are the things that drive them.

As I say, I hope to be wrong, and will happily eat my words a few years down the track if we find that nothing but good comes from this change. But right now I am seriously concerned.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 23 Jan 2012 12:39

Elm Park Old Boy Obviously far too early to say. But i have a bad feeling about it all.

I read all the juvenile outpourings on the TSI thread (all about which over-paid, over-rated players people were fantasising we'd buy, and how fast we'd get promoted, how long McDermott had until he was sacked etc) with a sinking heart. Then, just by coincidence, I heard the baying mob of Arsenal 'fans' on 606 last night - calling for Wenger's head after all he's done for their club because they narrowly lost to the champions, haven't won the league in a few years and only spunked tens of millions in the last transfer window.

It all seemed symptomatic of the modern football follower's sense of entitlement. We want 'success' , we want it now, we don't want to have to wait for it or work for it, and anyone who is prepared to let anything get in the way of the short-term fix (patience, morality, careful husbandry and development of young players, the building of a club ethos, etc) must be a fool.

I really genuinely hope I'm wrong on this, but I fear these developments will not result in five or ten years time in a club that I feel so strong a sense of personal allegiance to and affection for. I don't know where these guys' money comes from, and I don't know what their objectives are for Reading FC. But you know what, I suspect they ain't Santa Claus and I will be surprised if the things that give the loyal Reading supporter pleasure and satisfaction are the things that drive them.

As I say, I hope to be wrong, and will happily eat my words a few years down the track if we find that nothing but good comes from this change. But right now I am seriously concerned.

Serious question, does Madejski's commitment to be chairman until at least 2014 and then Life President when he steps down, the fact that the rest of the board and Hammond are staying and the initial 'gift' of investment this window, before the deal is even done, not allay your fears just a little? I understand where you are coming from, but fear of the unknown is usually the thing that holds people back from moving forwards. I voted yes to the poll, but 'cautiously optimistic' is probably closer to the mark.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 23 Jan 2012 13:18

At the moment it looks good. The new lot have said they'll be prudent rather than promising the earth.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 23 Jan 2012 13:19

79Royal - yes, those are all hopeful signs. Certainly the initial signs could have been far worse. On the other hand, the anonymity until the deal is done points the other way for me.

As I say, I hope to be wrong. But my gut instinct is that - whatever faults you may feel he's had, Madejski always seemed motivated by a desire to give something back to the town of Reading and the area. I don't know what motivates the potential new owners, but I suspect it's some way from the feelings i have about RFC.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 23 Jan 2012 13:39

Of course it's a good thing.

Unless they don't have any money.

Then it's a bad thing.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 24 Jan 2012 07:14

If it's such a good thing, then why can't we find this company on Companies House. Why isn't Zingarevich a Company Official of a UK Ltd company. Where are they based. Why the secrecy about revealing who is behind it? Why the sudden rhetoric from club announcements with bollocks about retaining our best players when we have successfully replaced most of the ones we previously let go?
This is not a good move by the club and we should demand transparency before we end up like Portsmouth.

specialjon

by specialjon » 24 Jan 2012 07:33

BonBoh If it's such a good thing, then why can't we find this company on Companies House. Why isn't Zingarevich a Company Official of a UK Ltd company. Where are they based. Why the secrecy about revealing who is behind it? Why the sudden rhetoric from club announcements with bollocks about retaining our best players when we have successfully replaced most of the ones we previously let go?
This is not a good move by the club and we should demand transparency before we end up like Portsmouth.

Chill out. Most of the questions you asked we'll probably not know the answers to but can take guesses at. The company isn't registered as TSI is just a name they came up with to protect them from people finding out who is behind this. They might not want to be known as until it's a done deal they don't want to tarnished with a failed takeover (for whatever reason it fails could be sjm, could be them.) These are both guesses obviously but i think you can see why they've done it like this. Also on the rhetoric front, what are you on about? The Sig and Long have never been replaced and as McD said in an interview Long would've stayed for him and imagine where we'd be with him.

At the end of the day SJM is only persons whose opinion matters as he owns the club and he decides if he wants to sell or not, calm down and we'll see if we're a Portsmouth or a Man City or an Aston Villa. In the words of Ronan Keating, "Life is a roller coasted you've just go to ride it" :wink:

alderdude

by alderdude » 24 Jan 2012 07:48

BonBoh If it's such a good thing, then why can't we find this company on Companies House. Why isn't Zingarevich a Company Official of a UK Ltd company. Where are they based. Why the secrecy about revealing who is behind it? Why the sudden rhetoric from club announcements with bollocks about retaining our best players when we have successfully replaced most of the ones we previously let go?

To be fair everything you've said has pretty much been answered.

Why Cant we find this company? as has been said by the chairman the company was set-up simply for the purpose of taking over RFC

Why isn't it a company officail of a uk ltd company? same answer as the last

where are they based? again the whole it being a company name set-up for the takeover, but theres an interview with zingarervich what says he doesnt see the need to move to england perminently so let's assume somewhere in Russia

Why the secrecy well to be fair the deal isn't due to be completed until March and there is still no 100% guarantee that the deal will go through. But considering it's only been a couple of days since the story leaked, what was probibly a lot sooner then any of them wanted it to be, as there are still no guarantees, I'd say we know a fair bit. Zingarervich is behind the company and from what i understand from what i've read on it, he will be using independent investors as well as his own money.

And considering the fact we need to sell our best players year on year at the moment, from what has been said on the matter i don't see how anyone can be against the takeover he's going to give us enough money to compete without going too crazy, keep our better players at the club and invest in the youth system. What more could we ask for, I mean he's even keeping the mad man as chairman. I mean Madejski is no fool and he has to step down at some point as he's not getting any younger and i'm sure he's put a lot of time and effort into making sure that the new owner will be suitable for the club

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Jan 2012 07:50

where are they based? again the whole it being a company name set-up for the takeover, but theres an interview with zingarervich what says he doesnt see the need to move to england perminently so let's assume somewhere in Russia

Zingarevich lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida ;)

alderdude

by alderdude » 24 Jan 2012 07:53

ZacNaloen

Zingarevich lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida ;)

well that made me look like quite the fool :P

under the tin

by under the tin » 24 Jan 2012 08:21

alderdude
And considering the fact we need to sell our best players year on year at the moment, from what has been said on the matter i don't see how anyone can be against the takeover he's going to give us enough money to compete without going too crazy, keep our better players at the club and invest in the youth system. What more could we ask for,

Fully agree.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 24 Jan 2012 08:26

Touching faith in Father Christmas there. Why is he going to 'give' 'us' this money?