redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

226 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

by Ian Royal » 25 Jan 2012 19:37

He seems pretty cheerful still.

I hope the justice system works and they nail him to the wall with this one. He's so obviously dodgy and been getting away with it for years it's incredible.

Personally I hope he does get sent down, and then some big hairy criminal makes him go down.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 25 Jan 2012 20:16

Ian Royal He seems pretty cheerful still.

I hope the justice system works and they nail him to the wall with this one. He's so obviously dodgy and been getting away with it for years it's incredible.

Personally I hope he does get sent down, and then some big hairy criminal makes him go down.

he has a very well paid lawyer. he will get off without much of a sweat. worst case scenario he'll be out of pocket and have to repay the tax he owes, but will avoid any real punishment, i.e a prison sentence.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2012 21:04

Friday's Legacy
Ian Royal He seems pretty cheerful still.

he has a very well paid lawyer. he will get off without much of a sweat. worst case scenario he'll be out of pocket and have to repay the tax he owes, but will avoid any real punishment, i.e a prison sentence.

and thus be clear to manage England with an 'unbiased' approach to team selection...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Jan 2012 21:12

In court Saggy Harry probably I was down to the bare bones your honour.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Jan 2012 07:44

soggy biscuit
In court Saggy Harry probably I was down to the bare bones your honour.

'them Pom'ey faans that wanna shaat at me, they neva 'ad it so good. Signed some great play'as, won the FA Cup, bankrupted the club, what more did they want?'

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 26 Jan 2012 08:26

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ney-accent
'Arry "A friend said to me, he said 'Harry, I can't believe it's always you, I have dealt with you enough times. Your problem is your name, Harry, and you have got a Cockney accent'.

"People don't know me and I am sick and tired of it. There ain't nobody who is more of a fan... My son has been a top footballer."

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2012 09:05

:lol:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 15:44

So Harry's defence isn't just that he was ignorant of what was happening, but that he is, er, ignorant.

:D

"....Mr Redknapp told officers: "I am not going to fiddle taxes, I pay my accountant a fortune to look after me.

"I am completely and utterly disorganised. I write like a two-year-old and I can't spell."

Jurors have also heard the football boss had made "disastrous" business decisions, including losing £250,000 in a "very unsuccessful" takeover bid at Oxford United.

In the recorded interviews played to the court, Mr Redknapp said: "I have never written a letter in my life."

He said his accountant "runs my life" and was so disorganised he had not realised that he had not been paid for 18 months for his column in The Sun newspaper, it was heard.

:D

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 26 Jan 2012 15:46

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 15:48

I like that, as an example of how inept he was is the fact that he tried - and failed - to buy the Pox!!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 26 Jan 2012 16:02

Clearly been advised that he's bang to rights, so trying to deflect blame to the accountant rather than try and make out it didn't happen.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Jan 2012 16:17

Just trying to sow as much doubt as possible isn't he?
"I'm too stupid to understand this"

etc

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2012 16:19

So, do we reckon 'arry's going to prison?

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 26 Jan 2012 16:24

No chance

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 26 Jan 2012 17:12

so redknapp can't write, spell, count, never sent a text, email, used a computer...

so he hasn't been seen on ssn on deadline day receiving a text and commenting "that'll be daniel levy now then". how does he write his piece in the news paper every week?

come on. surely the lawyers can rip him to shreds on this? it's easily proved, request his phone records for a start.

i like the guy as a manager but i'm finding myself desperately wanting him to go down for this. his lies and excuses are some of the worst i've ever heard.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jan 2012 17:34

Friday's Legacy so redknapp can't write, spell, count, never sent a text, email, used a computer...

so he hasn't been seen on ssn on deadline day receiving a text and commenting "that'll be daniel levy now then". how does he write his piece in the news paper every week?

come on. surely the lawyers can rip him to shreds on this? it's easily proved, request his phone records for a start.

i like the guy as a manager but i'm finding myself desperately wanting him to go down for this. his lies and excuses are some of the worst i've ever heard.

As much as his evidence is obviously a load of rubbish receiving a text doesn't mean you can send one and having a newspaper column doesn't mean you can write (I'd bet if you looked the column says its ghoast written by so and so, or something 'arry was talking to such and such).

Not sure what the going rate is for tax evasion on this level but I'd be amazed if they get away with this, irrespective of who they blame and how much he pays their accountant.

Anyone know the guidelines or sentence outcomes for these size cases?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 17:37

Pepe the Horseman So, do we reckon 'arry's going to prison?

If he is found guilty for this sort of blatant tax evasion (the fact that he had an offshore account which he failed to declare to HMRC until 2 months after his arrest, and that he failed to declare the money put into that account, is pretty damning imho) he will get a prison sentence.

Blaming your accountant simply won't stand up in court, because Redknapp would sign his own tax declaration (not doing so is an offence) and in doing that he states that everything in the tax return is correct.

He is goin' dahn!!!

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 26 Jan 2012 17:39

ok, so he puts all the blame on the accountant. so, one is most definitely guilty. therefore one at least should go down for this?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 17:44

Hoop Blah
Friday's Legacy so redknapp can't write, spell, count, never sent a text, email, used a computer...

As much as his evidence is obviously a load of rubbish receiving a text doesn't mean you can send one and having a newspaper column doesn't mean you can write (I'd bet if you looked the column says its ghoast written by so and so, or something 'arry was talking to such and such).

Not sure what the going rate is for tax evasion on this level but I'd be amazed if they get away with this, irrespective of who they blame and how much he pays their accountant.

Anyone know the guidelines or sentence outcomes for these size cases?

Max 7 Years

:shock:

However, reading the guidlines it looks like he will get between 2 and 4 years.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sent ... ual/fraud/

As Svlad has said, his protestations about his knowledge is an attempt to get some mitigating factors into the judges mind for sentencing, but these elements which are aggravating factors are a bit worrying for him:

Planning of an offence (Hmmm - going to Monaco to create an off shore account??)
Offenders acting in groups or gangs (Him and Mandaric)
Number involved in the offence and the role of the offender (Pretty major role)
'Professional offending' (No idea on how that is judged tbh)
High level of profit from the offence (£300k minimum)
An attempt to conceal or dispose of evidence (That is the secret, undeclared off shore account then)
Offending carried out over a significant period of time (6 or 7 years)
The use of another person's identity (not a factor)

Here are the mitigating factors:

Peripheral involvement
Misleading or incomplete advice
Mental illness or disability of the defendant
Youth or age, where it affects the responsibility of the individual defendant
Behaviour not fraudulent from the outset
Legitimate entitlement to part or all of the amount claimed
Voluntary cessation of offending
Complete and unprompted disclosure of the extent of the fraud
Voluntary restitution
Financial Pressure

edit: I thought I'd put in the sentencing guidelines as they seem relevant here:

Fraudulent from the outset, professionally planned and either fraud carried out over a significant period of time or multiple frauds

£500,000 or more (Starting point (SP)) based on £750,000): SP: 5 years custody, Range: 4-7 years

£100,000 or more, and less than £500,000 (SP based on £300,000): SP: 4 years custody, Range: 3-5 years

£20,000 or more, and less than £100,000 (SP based on £60,000): SP: 2 years custody, Range: 18 months-3 years custody

Fraudulent from the outset and either fraud carried out over a significant period of time or multiple frauds

£500,000 or more (SP based on £750,000): SP: 4 years custody, Range: 3-7 years custody

£100,000 or more, and less than £500,000 (SP based on £300,000): SP: 3 years custody, Range: 2-4 years

£20,000 or more, and less than £100,000 (SP based on £60,000): SP: 15 months custody, Range: 18 weeks-30 months custody

£5,000 or more, and less than £20,000 (SP based on £12,500): SP: 12 weeks custody, Range: Community Order (high)-12 months custody

Less than £5,000 (SP based on £2,500): SP: Community Order (High), Range: Community Order (Low) - 6 weeks custody

I've put in bold and italics what I think he is looking at....
Last edited by Mr Angry on 26 Jan 2012 17:51, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 17:46

Friday's Legacy ok, so he puts all the blame on the accountant. so, one is most definitely guilty. therefore one at least should go down for this?

Is his accountant in the dock though?

It is the responsibility of the tax payer to make accurate declarations; unless his accountant was siphoning off funds for his own benefit and not telling Redknapp who then, unwittingly, was caused to offend, he simply cannot use "It wuz me accountant wot did it M'lud" as a defence.

(The wife is a tax accountant; she says he is definitely guilty and will definitely get a jail sentence)

226 posts