Hob Nob Regular

Re: Tomasz Cywka joins

by muddyfeet » 26 Jan 2012 16:38

because most people we fancy the pants off our out of our league

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Jan 2012 16:38

This is gr8 news! I have accordingly upgraded my curiousity-level from disinterested to ambivalent.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Jan 2012 16:39

lol at only fancying one type of bird

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 26 Jan 2012 16:43

No, of course, I haven't spent over 10 years of my life going out with birds. :roll:

I just don't get the whole thing of fancying someone and then going out with a complete polar opposite. It's like saying you fancy George Clooney, but decide to marry the dungeon master. Nothing against the dungeon master, but he's completely different to George.

I fancy Amber Heard, but I wouldn't marry Kathy Burke for instance.[/quote]

I did. :oops:

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 26 Jan 2012 16:50

As he's now signed I'll post here what I put on the Rumours board earlier. From a friend of mine who's a Rams fan.

" If I was taking over a club and putting in millions of pounds, Tomasz Cywka wouldn't be the first player on my list!

He came in on loan from Wigan in the back end of 2009/10 and did OK, but given we were really bad at at that time he probably looked better than he was, and we signed him up that summer.

In our golden spell last autumn, when we were tearing teams to shreds, he was playing well as one of the three supplementary attackers in a 4-2-3-1 formation but when things faded off, so did his form.

Some will argue that he never recovered from a very public dressing-down by Nigel after an away game at Portsmouth last February, when he cost us the win in stoppage-time, though he did keep his place for a while without ever really doing a great deal.

This season he's not really had many opportunities but when he has played, he hasn't really done much. He scored in the game at your place but by all accounts his overall performance wasn't fantastic.

You knew he was basically finished with us when, on his first start of the season away at Forest, our keeper was sent off in the first minute and he was subbed. Apparently, as soon as our sub keeper got ready to come on, Tomasz walked off before the board went up because he knew he'd be pulled!

Finding the right position for him has been a challenge. When he first came we were playing 4-4-1-1 and he wasn't doing too badly in the hole between a solid midfield and a big striker, then last season he was OK again in the 4-2-3-1 system, but these days we play a more straightforward 4-4-2 and he can't really play in that system as he's not disciplined enough for either flank nor can he play as an out and out striker.

I think he's talented, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sorry to see the back of him. For me he's flattered to deceive a little too much and he's definitely a confidence player too. A bit of a luxury to a certain extent, because of the way he plays the game, but I think he's got something about him.

And for some reason the fans absolutely hero-worship him here! I've been at games this season when he's been introduced as a sub to a standing ovation for no obvious reason whatsoever. When news broke that he was leaving, the thread on one of our fans' forums was the most commented I'd seen in ages.

I've not seen anything of Reading this season so I don't know where he'd fit in to your team but it will be interesting to see if he can re-discover his spark".

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jan 2012 17:17

And a big welcome to Reading Tomasz; hope you have a sucessful time here.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Jan 2012 17:19

Royal Lady Word from the footballing world is that Tomasz is a good player on his day - except you never know when that day is - and has been likened to Matejovsky - and as I thought he was GREAT, it's a thumbs up from me - welcome to Reading Tomasz.

Ditto this.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Jan 2012 17:21

rfc2001 People are saying Cywka is not going to be good enough. All the derby fans rated him (well most) McD turns players into very good players. He's our own Redknapp without the fraud and tax evasions!!

Has the trial finished or is Graham likely to see a writ flying his way?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jan 2012 17:25

muddyfeet because most people we fancy the pants off our out of our league

So you 'settle'. Should have a bit more self respect m8.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Jan 2012 17:28

Kes, ftr, you shouldn't just marry someone because you fancy them - you have to take into account their personality etc. A lot of very attractive people are quite vacuous and some are downright horrible people. HTH.

georgerob

by georgerob » 26 Jan 2012 19:05

RoyalBlue
Royal Lady Word from the footballing world is that Tomasz is a good player on his day - except you never know when that day is - and has been likened to Matejovsky - and as I thought he was GREAT, it's a thumbs up from me - welcome to Reading Tomasz.

Ditto this.

I agree as we have desperately needed a player in midfield who can see and pick a pass and create opportunities like Matejovsky and it sounds like Cywka has the attributes to do this.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 26 Jan 2012 19:06

RoyalBlue

Ditto this.

and kebe, and mcanuff...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 26 Jan 2012 21:15

I've just watched Cywka's interview on Reading player, and I'm reassured about his intelligence, after Clough said he was not intelligent. His English is good--much better than Kebé's, for example--and you don't get to pick up another language that well without a brain. That doesn't mean he's got footballing intelligence, but advanced midfield is not usually where you find the headless chicken type, so I'm hopeful.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 27 Jan 2012 00:13

Low-risk signing, no real harm done if he doesn't deliver the goods. Sounds very versatile though, could even give him a chance on the flank if McAnuff remains sidelined.

The end of Brian Howard one would think.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Jan 2012 00:21

Royal Lady

The Phantom of the Opera is there, inside your mind

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Jan 2012 00:58

windjammer "I've not seen anything of Reading this season so I don't know where he'd fit in to your team...

This seems important to me. Our wingers are largely fairly lightweight, and we've prospered the last twelve months or more by having two very tough central midfielders. When Leigertwood and Jem are on their game, our midfield is not beautiful but very effective with good attacking options around a very solid core. When you put a more flair, attack-minded player into the advanced midfielder role (and I wondered this when we briefly flirted with the possibility of bringing Gylfi back) can we afford the luxury of two out of Kebe, McAnuff and HRK? Or do you need to completely retool the midfield?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Jan 2012 08:11

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Jan 2012 08:29

Arch
windjammer "I've not seen anything of Reading this season so I don't know where he'd fit in to your team...

This seems important to me. Our wingers are largely fairly lightweight, and we've prospered the last twelve months or more by having two very tough central midfielders. When Leigertwood and Jem are on their game, our midfield is not beautiful but very effective with good attacking options around a very solid core. When you put a more flair, attack-minded player into the advanced midfielder role (and I wondered this when we briefly flirted with the possibility of bringing Gylfi back) can we afford the luxury of two out of Kebe, McAnuff and HRK? Or do you need to completely retool the midfield?

I think the main point is that with the addition of Roberts we now have a forward who can play as a lone striker if required. If a plan B is required we can have Cywka to supplement the other two midfielders. Alternatively he can replace one of them if we go for a more attack minded 4-4-2 which is more preferable to McD than his current option of bringing on HRK and moving McAnuff inside. Cywka can also provide cover out wide as well which is probably bad news for Antonio's future.

He's not consistently proven he can produce at this level but the basic ability appears to be there if McD can get him focused properly. Along with Roberts' signing it fills the void we have in the current set-up which whatever your opinion of the merits of the individuals in midfield/attack are much of a muchness really.

If it works then it could be a great signing, if not we've not lost anything and we look again in the summer when hopefully more funds will be avialble.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 27 Jan 2012 08:35

That Friday Feeling

ALOL

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Jan 2012 08:37