West Ham v Birmingham

305 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: West Ham v Birmingham

by Royal Rother » 09 Apr 2012 20:01

paultheroyal Big point that for West Ham. 2 slip ups out of 5 and that lets them in and with away games against Brighton, Southampton and Birmingham they have a sniff!

What an odd way of looking at it.

They have less of a sniff now than they did before the game. It's 2 points dropped by West Ham and, whatever the short-lived relief at coming back from 3-1 down, they will be gutted at the result. Again.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 09 Apr 2012 20:03

Win our last two at home --one against a nearly-safe Forest side and the other against bedded-in mid-tablers Palace-- and then we would need any combination of:

--Four points picked up from our other three matches*; and

--Four points dropped by West Ham in any of their remaining four matches

Had Brum held on for the win today, we'd substitute "Three points" for "Four points" in the preceding

None of which is to say that I'm not an utter nervous wreck, but then this is why we even bother

*which includes Brum in the finale, by when in all likelihood they'll be playing for nothing aside from maintaining match fitness/resting and healing the walking wounded/avoiding injury in preparation for play-off battles to come

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 09 Apr 2012 20:04

Royal Rother
paultheroyal Big point that for West Ham. 2 slip ups out of 5 and that lets them in and with away games against Brighton, Southampton and Birmingham they have a sniff!

They have less of a sniff now than they did before the game. It's 2 points dropped by West Ham and, whatever the short-lived relief at coming back from 3-1 down, they will be gutted at the result. Again.

Exactly. With another home game coming up yet again that monkey is still on their back. Furthermore, if we do get a result at BHA tomorrow, they will travel to UP going all out for a win on Sat as they'll need it to make P/O. Situation is definitely better than it was at 5pm today.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 09 Apr 2012 20:05

MmmMonsterMunch
Royal Rother

Exactly. With another home game coming up yet again that monkey is still on their back. Furthermore, if we do get a result at BHA tomorrow, they will travel to UP going all out for a win on Sat as they'll need it to make P/O. Situation is definitely better than it was at 5pm today.

Not forgetting of course that we now play two games before they next play again...

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 09 Apr 2012 20:05

We won't lose tomorrow at the Rent Boyz.... and 85 pts will be plenty. #justsayin' coz #wewingames #bigbadwolf

Hipster.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 09 Apr 2012 20:09

Best result IMO.

Whilst WHU have somewhat of a reprieve, once again they fail to win and continue to look very shaky in defence.

This result also puts Birmingham pretty much out of a top two finish - maybe they wont have so much to play for come the final game of the season.

It also means that picking up 1 point out of the next two away games will continue keep us out of reach of WHU.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 09 Apr 2012 20:10

We can only control what we do. Hoping for a performance from Kebe. Not been vintage of late - he is due a good one.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Apr 2012 20:11

Royal Rother

Come back and quote again after tomorrows game and then maybe on Friday!! I know what I want to happen but.....#justsaying
Last edited by paultheroyal on 09 Apr 2012 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 09 Apr 2012 20:16

paultheroyal
Royal Rother

Come back and quote again after tomorrows game and then maybe in Friday!! I know what I want to happen but.....#justsaying

So we lose tomorrow and we're still 3 points clear.

So we lose Friday and we're still 3 points clear - until West Ham play the following day, and then they have to get a result!

Then we have back-to-back home games. Very very winnable home games.

Our chances are greater than theirs, and their run-in looks very daunting!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 Apr 2012 20:18

paultheroyal
Royal Rother

Come back and quote again after tomorrows game and then maybe in Friday!! I know what I want to happen but.....#justsaying

How does our result affect whether tonight's is goodor bad for West Ham? Obviously if we lose our next two we'll wish WH had lost. So what? Clearly, any dropped points for WH is great for us and pretty awful for them. Talk about how many slip-ups are required by us... What about them? Lose one game and they need us to drop points in our two home games.

Seems like some people would rather be in their position than ours :roll:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Apr 2012 20:25

I am chuffed to bits where we are but that single point puts them one victory away from us if we slip up and what would be a better goal difference. Pretty significant in my book particularly as we have to play 1st, 4th and 6th!!

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 09 Apr 2012 20:28

paultheroyal I am chuffed to bits where we are but that single point puts them one victory away from us if we slip up and what would be a better goal difference. Pretty significant in my book particularly as we have to play 1st, 4th and 6th!!

You're getting ahead of yourself. We can "slip up" tomorrow and still be three points clear. We would need to slip up twice for them to catch us.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Apr 2012 20:45

Friday's Legacy
paultheroyal I am chuffed to bits where we are but that single point puts them one victory away from us if we slip up and what would be a better goal difference. Pretty significant in my book particularly as we have to play 1st, 4th and 6th!!

You're getting ahead of yourself. We can "slip up" tomorrow and still be three points clear. We would need to slip up twice for them to catch us.

Exactly!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Apr 2012 20:47

It's a shame that they came back from 3-1 down rather than the other way round. Can see this being a big confidence boost to them. The tables could turn very quickly if we haven't picked up at least 2 points in the next two games. 3 points would be great (particularly from Southampton) and anything more just fantastic. Nervous? You bet I am.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 09 Apr 2012 23:18

A 14 pager. I'm pretty happy with that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Apr 2012 06:44

Have we lost 2 league games in a row since the start of the season? We certainly haven't this year. If we start now, I'll be surprised. Last nights point for WHU is only good if we suddenly break from form.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Apr 2012 06:50

I just wish that football could be predictable....

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Apr 2012 07:24

Platypuss
Avon Royal I just know that there will be a whole host of people who are deriding West Ham's draw tonight and who will also be proclaiming that a draw for us tomorrow will be a good result.

It would be. WHU would still need to make up 4 points on us, but with 1 game fewer.

Spot on.

I can't understand how people fail to see that if we draw tonight, West Ham will STILL be the same number of points behind us with 4 to play as they were with 6 to play; they simply aren't closing the gap and are running out of games to do so.

Skyline

by Skyline » 10 Apr 2012 09:46

Stranded Have we lost 2 league games in a row since the start of the season? We certainly haven't this year. If we start now, I'll be surprised. Last nights point for WHU is only good if we suddenly break from form.

Yes - we lost the 3rd through 6th games. But since then we've not lost two or more league games consecutively.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Apr 2012 10:04

Skyline
Stranded Have we lost 2 league games in a row since the start of the season? We certainly haven't this year. If we start now, I'll be surprised. Last nights point for WHU is only good if we suddenly break from form.

Yes - we lost the 3rd through 6th games. But since then we've not lost two or more league games consecutively.

Pompey, Barnsley, Hull and Watford. (And Charlton in the Carling Cup as well)

:shock:

Couldn't imagine it now really.

305 posts