Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
JamieY26

Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by JamieY26 » 08 Jul 2012 20:17

Just been reading a recent interview with Roberts about how he is happy to help now that we are back in the Prem.... Well thank you very much chap!....

Don't get me wrong. I think the guy is a fantastic addition to the team, but I have started to find his constant media presence annoying and a bit of a distraction. We have Harte in the team, who is much more experienced and yet much more subtle with his contribution, although I imagine his input is equally valuable. I just think it would be more beneficial if he kept his guidance and ideas in the dressing room.

I can't decide whether or not it is becoming tiresome, or if this is a positive shift in the openness of the club...

What do people think?

Blakey's Right Peg

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by Blakey's Right Peg » 08 Jul 2012 20:19

For what reasons do you find his media presence annoying?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Jul 2012 20:23

Not at all. He's doing his thing, not hurting anyone, and i don't have to listen if I don't want to. You've left yourself a bit open here...

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 08 Jul 2012 20:23

Blakey's Right Peg For what reasons do you find his media presence annoying?

It's not the punditry or anything like that, but it sometimes has a whiff of player power and that he thinks he is bigger than the club.... I dunno. I just think that these kinds of comments should come from Brian, Hammond or Jobi when talking about club matters.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Jul 2012 20:25

Firstly, fuck off newbie.

Secondly, if Roberts enjoys working in the media why shouldn't he do it? He doesn't have many years left of his playing career left so if he wants a job in media when he retires he may as well have something set up before he goes.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 08 Jul 2012 20:25

Royal Ginger Not at all. He's doing his thing, not hurting anyone, and i don't have to listen if I don't want to. You've left yourself a bit open here...

Haha, thats fine. Its just an opinion. Im not even sure what I make of it....Its not something a Reading fan has to deal with very often!

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 08 Jul 2012 20:32

Can't really say it bothers me to be honest.

Roberts comes across a fairly articulate chap (for a footballer), talks about the club in a very positive light and helps to boost our profile.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jul 2012 21:51

Blakey's Right Peg Can't really say it bothers me to be honest.

Roberts comes across a fairly articulate chap (for a footballer), talks about the club in a very positive light and helps to boost our profile.

Completely agree with this.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 08 Jul 2012 21:58

I actually think the opposite. Having an articulate player whose opinion is widely valued due to his experience and the fact that it consists of more than mere platitudes is something we've not really had before.

I used to enjoy hearing Kitsons views but I think, towards the end, people used to give him long interview space because they know he'd put his foot in it. And he did.

Everything I've heard from Roberts has sounded genuine and he seems to appreciate being given the opportunity to show what he can do at a high level one last time. And after seeing his header against Southampton again last night he can say whatever he likes.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 08 Jul 2012 22:51

Media: Are you going to help Reading in the Premier League next season?
Roberts: Yes I am going to help Reading in the Premier League next season.

Nothing to read here. Glad we've got somebody at our club with some kind of national media presence. If it wasn't for him, both on and off the pitch (remember Big Bad Wolf?) we wouldn't have gone up last season.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 08 Jul 2012 23:01

There are many on this board that would be classed as more annoying. But I see what you mean.

I think being a reading fan is going to feel a bit different with big name signings, new owners and exotic owners wifes. Roberts is the ego that many craved when we we're signing the likes of emerge Faye though remember.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Jul 2012 23:28

JamieY26 Just been reading a recent interview with Roberts about how he is happy to help now that we are back in the Prem.... Well thank you very much chap!....

Don't get me wrong. I think the guy is a fantastic addition to the team, but I have started to find his constant media presence annoying and a bit of a distraction. We have Harte in the team, who is much more experienced and yet much more subtle with his contribution, although I imagine his input is equally valuable. I just think it would be more beneficial if he kept his guidance and ideas in the dressing room.

I can't decide whether or not it is becoming tiresome, or if this is a positive shift in the openness of the club...

What do people think?

I will keep this simple and never more an apt moment...

:|

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 09 Jul 2012 00:12

Not at all! Jason Roberts is his own man, with his own opinion, on many things. That they happen to match the Managers at times is a plus, and if not, as long as they don't cause a stir in the Team, then "Go for it!" His 'Positive Attitude' was certainly a major positive factor in Reading being promotef last seaeson, ...... so let's go with it, or as has already been said,....."You don't have to either Listen to him, or read him".

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 09 Jul 2012 01:22

JamieY26 Just been reading a recent interview with Roberts about how he is happy to help now that we are back in the Prem.... Well thank you very much chap!....

What do people think?

i think he handles himself very well and seems a natural presenter. i reckon thats where he'll likely head when his playing career is over...shame as i think he'll make a great coach or manager

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 09 Jul 2012 01:50

ddetisi There are many on this board that would be classed as more annoying. But I see what you mean.

I think being a reading fan is going to feel a bit different with big name signings, new owners and exotic owners wifes. Roberts is the ego that many craved when we we're signing the likes of emerge Faye though remember.

He was a good player.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 09 Jul 2012 08:27

I don't agree or disagree with the OP but I can see where he's coming from - i.e.the constant media thing, & TBF it's not a thing we're really used to at Reading, his seeming (slight IMO) over confidence possibly comes from the fact he has a regular slot on 606 and is totally at ease with speaking to the media/press.

Hopefully we do get (very) used to press attention!!

Edit P.S. Feck off newbie...

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 09 Jul 2012 09:18

Roberts does get a fair bit of media attention but maybe that's because he's always willing to give an interview when asked and I imagine some of the more shy and retiring players in the squad welcome the attention being drawn away from them.

It's not like he's being negative or coming across as a winger like a Dave Kitson or anything.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 09 Jul 2012 10:11

SLAMMED Firstly, fuck off newbie.

Secondly, if Roberts enjoys working in the media why shouldn't he do it? He doesn't have many years left of his playing career left so if he wants a job in media when he retires he may as well have something set up before he goes.

Any need? Is your post count e-penis compensating for something?

Back on topic:

I don't find Roberts annoying - he always seems like a decent enough pundit and as has been said above - comes across as articulate too. So long as he's not an absolute spacca and giving the club a bad image then there's nowt wrong with his comments to the press.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 09 Jul 2012 10:56

BrockManson
SLAMMED Firstly, fuck off newbie.

Any need? Is your post count e-penis compensating for something?

It's a joke. Is the rod which is permanently up your austere backside compensating for something?

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 09 Jul 2012 11:18

the OP is quite annoying

1019 posts