Portsmouth fc

1559 posts
watfordroyal

Re: Portsmouth fc

by watfordroyal » 17 Aug 2012 15:01

Alexander Litvinenko Just a question for you all....

Assuming the Trust take over Pompey, at what point do they get disassociated from the sins of the past in people's minds - or will they always have the deeds of past owners hanging over them? They will financially, of course, and will always be at a disadvantage from that, but morally when will people stop hating them and wishing them ill because of what previous owners did?

When they give back their FA cup winners medals to.............
Oh no Cardiff! haven't thought this through........... :oops: :lol:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Aug 2012 09:33

And so the stinky mess rumbles on. Just what sort of twisted laws and rules allow the morals and ethics to just be thrown out the window. All monies should be going to pay the terms of the CVA not paying more footballers. If that means no players or youngsters on next to nothing then tough, you just get on with it.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Aug 2012 10:43

Would there be any benefit in Reading loaning quite a few of the youngsters out (even for free) and getting them playing together in a competitive league?

We could use Portsmouth as a training club #justathought

p.s. i haven't really thought this through tbh

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Aug 2012 11:51

I think the point is that the players they are signing are not young loanees from other teams but experienced professionals that could walk into most league 1 teams if they could afford them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2012 16:25

creative_username_1 Would there be any benefit in Reading loaning quite a few of the youngsters out (even for free) and getting them playing together in a competitive league?

We could use Portsmouth as a training club #justathought

p.s. i haven't really thought this through tbh

That would be a decent idea for us - although there are rules on the number of loanees you can field I think. But do we really want our players at a club with that sort of culture. And frankly, I don't care whether it would benefit our players, the cheats need to be folded. They haven't learnt their lesson after two administrations.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 20 Aug 2012 10:44

Obita now joined Pompey on Loan

Winger joins Pompey but Appy’s not done

Jordan Obita will arrive on loan from Reading this week

By Jordan Cross
Published on Monday 20 August 2012 10:00

Michael Appleton welcomed Jordan Obita to Pompey’s ranks but targeted three more players.

The Blues have recruited Reading winger Obita on loan to add another player to his options.

But Appleton is desperate to add more new men to boost his threadbare squad.

The 36-year-old is keen to speak to administrator Trevor Birch to see what he can and can’t do.

Appleton believes he is working to a budget which is among the lowest in League One.

He does expect to have Liam Walker available to face Colchester tomorrow, however.

He missed out on Saturday while waiting for international clearance to come through following his arrival.

Appleton said: ‘Liam will hopefully be ready for tomorrow and Jordan Obita will be joining us on loan from Reading this week.

‘That gets us to 17 but we need another three players to be competitive.

‘At the moment the budget is a lot smaller than suggested.

‘I would imagine it’s among the lowest in League One.

‘I’d be amazed if it isn’t in the bottom three.

‘If we pick up an injury we will be snookered.

‘Even with Jordan Obita and Liam Walker, that leaves us with 17 players.

‘It’s nowhere near enough to get through a season.

‘We need a minimum of another three players.

‘I don’t know how we are going to do it or where the money will come from but we need to find it.’

Appleton believes Obita will be an impressive addition.

He said: ‘Jordan’s an exciting player who can play as a striker or out wide.

‘He’s a runner who likes to get in behind teams.

‘He’s an exciting one who fits into our budget.’

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 20 Aug 2012 11:01

MouldyRoyal Fantastic piece on Pompey's continuing lack of financial fairplay from the two unfortunates:

http://thetwounfortunates.com/ttu-seaso ... ues-apace/

Excellent article.

They were still there, bold as brass, clanging that oxf*rd bell in the face of anyone who came near, entirely unawares of just how much, or even why, that makes everybody so damn angry.

I have a mate who's a PFC fan. He's pretty "normal" all things considered but we had a massive barney at the end of last season about the state of his club. He, like this quote, was unable to see how the actions of his club make a mockery of the rules.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 20 Aug 2012 13:48

This fcuking annoys me!! :evil:

"How many of these fans of other clubs who are criticising us actually ever raise a question about what their own clubs are doing. West Ham a prime example only £200m in debt"

"Bolton 100m in debt. and they are one of the better run clubs"

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Aug 2012 22:12

Geekins This fcuking annoys me!! :evil:

"How many of these fans of other clubs who are criticising us actually ever raise a question about what their own clubs are doing. West Ham a prime example only £200m in debt"

"Bolton 100m in debt. and they are one of the better run clubs"

But they still appear to be paying their creditors - something Pompey have failed to do on three separate occasions now.

Being in debt is not a crime - not paying the debt is.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 21 Aug 2012 08:41

^ this.

Most of the people reading this forum will have tens, maybe hundreds of thousands £ of debt called a mortgage. Yet they pay it off as agreed with the creditors.

Pompey took the view that they could rack up massive debts that they knew they couldn't afford and which they all too easily chose not to pay, and have done so on 3 occasions in the last 10 Years. That indicates to me that their problems are endemic, cultural and should be terminal.

If Pompey were a household, they wouldn't be allowed a credit card.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Aug 2012 09:04

What gets me is this line that Pompey have to be competitive, why exactly? It's the start of the season so who cares if all they have is 17/18 year old Academy players

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 09:19

Mr Angry ^ this.

If Pompey were a household, they wouldn't be allowed a credit card.

If Pompey were a household, they'd have been declared bankrupt a long time ago.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 21 Aug 2012 09:23

I don't see why the Portsmouth fans come in for so much stick.

Obviously they are all displaced London pikies with their shell suits tucked into their socks but-

Lets's face it, we have no real idea of or control over what Anton is doing with the finances of the club. His funding was a significant factor in securing the championship last year but there were not many Reading fans turning to their friends and advising, 'we better not celebrate too hard at Southampton in case our success is being funded on a non-sustainable basis and we subsequently look foolish if it all goes wrong.'

We are just hoping he is a richer Madejski rather than a poorer Gaydamak.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 21 Aug 2012 09:33

so gaydamak does have money then?

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 09:39

Once were Biscuitmen I don't see why the Portsmouth fans come in for so much stick.

Obviously they are all displaced London pikies with their shell suits tucked into their socks but-

Lets's face it, we have no real idea of or control over what Anton is doing with the finances of the club. His funding was a significant factor in securing the championship last year but there were not many Reading fans turning to their friends and advising, 'we better not celebrate too hard at Southampton in case our success is being funded on a non-sustainable basis and we subsequently look foolish if it all goes wrong.'

I think there are massive diferences.

Firstly, Zingarevich actually didn't spend that much. Roberts was a free - something he let slip on 606 on Sunday evening. We had to cover his wages for 18 months, but a Ben-Haim he aint.

Secondly, he constantly talks of not being the next Abramovic - possibly because he's much more astute or possibly because his wealth is not comparable. Who knows. But regardless, financial fair play rules will state that clubs cannot live beyond their means, and the only places that large amounts can be spent within agreed allowances are infrastructure and youth development. And by some coincidence, two of our biggest plans are expanding the stadium and a whole new training complex.

We have no real idea how his tenure will pan out, but it's started sensibly.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 21 Aug 2012 12:03

Who Moved The Goalposts? Firstly, Zingarevich actually didn't spend that much. Roberts was a free - something he let slip on 606 on Sunday evening. We had to cover his wages for 18 months, but a Ben-Haim he aint.

Secondly, he constantly talks of not being the next Abramovic - possibly because he's much more astute or possibly because his wealth is not comparable. Who knows. But regardless, financial fair play rules will state that clubs cannot live beyond their means, and the only places that large amounts can be spent within agreed allowances are infrastructure and youth development. And by some coincidence, two of our biggest plans are expanding the stadium and a whole new training complex.

Just playing Devil's Advocate with this posting, the money on Roberts was committed to by RFC before the takeover was confirmed, so that was a big risk.

Yes, he says he's not the next Abramovic , but he would say that, wouldn't he? We really have no ideas of how he'll do or what his intentions really are - or whether his promises are kept. As he's spending Daddy's money, also, there's also a question over how long he'll be allowed to do it.

Financial fair play rules don't actually state that clubs cannot live beyond their means. They state just how much clubs can live beyond their means, but they still allow more than enough leeway to send a club into administration. Also, clubs that don't want to play in Europe are unaffected by them, and they offer no protection against an owner suddenly dying/losing interest/getting prosecuted.

I definitely agree with the premise that all the people who want to see Portsmouth supporters lose their club because they committed the sin of celebrating when their team did well (on the back of promises made by a virtually-unknown foreign owner) who could end up with egg of their faces if the Anton & Boris thing goes horribly wrong. And all we really do have so far are promises - we'll probably never get to know the actual situation any more, as TSI is registered in Gibraltar.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 21 Aug 2012 13:12

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Once were Biscuitmen I don't see why the Portsmouth fans come in for so much stick.

I think there are massive diferences.

Firstly, Zingarevich actually didn't spend that much. Roberts was a free - something he let slip on 606 on Sunday evening. We had to cover his wages for 18 months, but a Ben-Haim he aint.

I agree with all of the above and hope it pans out as described.

However as fans we have extremely limited power over the owner and if it did turn out that Anton is funding all of the above on high-interest loans it would not be our fault if we ended up where Pompey are now.

I hope the Portsmouth trust do get control of the club, whatever level they end up playing at. I don't want to see any club go under given how I feel about my club. I even wish Aldershot were still around in their original form and can't really understand why anybody would wish for a clubs demise.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 21 Aug 2012 13:53

Once were Biscuitmen

However as fans we have extremely limited power over the owner and if it did turn out that Anton is funding all of the above on high-interest loans it would not be our fault if we ended up where Pompey are now.

I hope the Portsmouth trust do get control of the club, whatever level they end up playing at. I don't want to see any club go under given how I feel about my club. I even wish Aldershot were still around in their original form and can't really understand why anybody would wish for a clubs demise.

The thing is clubs that fail to pay their taxes & everyone else, should fold & start again at the bottom of the pyramid,
giving the chance for another club to raise up through the ranks and taste success.

If they're allowed to constantly get away with mismanagement & irresponsibility, then everyone can follow suit,
leaving well-run conference clubs to forever be conference clubs.
If it happens to us, so be it.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2012 14:00

watfordroyal
Once were Biscuitmen

The thing is clubs that fail to pay their taxes & everyone else, should fold & start again at the bottom of the pyramid,
giving the chance for another club to raise up through the ranks and taste success.

If they're allowed to constantly get away with mismanagement & irresponsibility, then everyone can follow suit,
leaving well-run conference clubs to forever be conference clubs.
If it happens to us, so be it.

Totally agree. One thing is for sure. As long as SJM has anything to do with the club, I cannot see our business ethics changing. The second it looks like he's lost his influence and certain things start to happen behind the scenes, he'll walk. This will be our first sign of a troubled road ahead.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2012 19:03

I'd say we've been fairly cautious in our welcoming, even though he has many hallmarks that make him being dodgy as feck unlikely.

1559 posts