Official Deadline Day Thread......

614 posts
bennno

Official Deadline Day Thread......

by bennno » 30 Aug 2012 18:30

For a bargain hunting, hard bargaining club like Reading its not inconceivable we might try for a last minute signing or two.

A quick raid wont give other clubs the time to respond and puts the chairman on the spot to accept or decline, rather than hawking players about in media.

So question is, who do you want to see come in at the last minute / where do we need to strengthen / what are you finding in the papers.

Discounting the Cole / Ayew / Zaha rumours based on the associated £4-6M price tags (given as a club we have always had long pockets and short arms) to start the ball rolling why not George Boyd (LW), Paul Taylor (CF) and Stephen Warnock (LB) all of whom appear to be available.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by akranes » 30 Aug 2012 18:44

I am of the opinion that we need young talents... extremely envious of Swansea's signings this summer also...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Aug 2012 18:46

bennno For a bargain hunting, hard bargaining club like Reading its not inconceivable we might try for a last minute signing or two.

A quick raid wont give other clubs the time to respond and puts the chairman on the spot to accept or decline, rather than hawking players about in media.

So question is, who do you want to see come in at the last minute / where do we need to strengthen / what are you finding in the papers.

Discounting the Cole / Ayew / Zaha rumours based on the associated £4-6M price tags (given as a club we have always had long pockets and short arms) to start the ball rolling why not George Boyd (LW), Paul Taylor (CF) and Stephen Warnock (LB) all of whom appear to be available.

Boyd too lightweight, Taylor drugs so just say no, Warnock, not needed.

Zaha would be a good signing for us at £3-4-million plus add ons. Only one I fancy of all the names mentioned recently tbf.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Aug 2012 19:05

Whatever Taylor did in the past surely he should be given a chance to show he has sorted his life out. Young people make mistakes - is it right to write them off forever. I like him - always plays well against us.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 30 Aug 2012 19:09

andrew1957 Whatever Taylor did in the past surely he should be given a chance to show he has sorted his life out. Young people make mistakes - is it right to write them off forever. I like him - always plays well against us.

I doubt they think it's worth the risk...
edit: he did drugs

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 30 Aug 2012 19:12

akranes I am of the opinion that we need young talents... extremely envious of Swansea's signings this summer also...

agree, i think stupid people said theyd have a 2nd season syndrome - laudrup was their best signing, which may have backfired. i honestly think swansea are good enough to finish in the top 6 and i wouldnt be surprised if they made the top 4. i reckon norwich wont do as well this season, they are a good side but theyll find out like we did last time that the better teams take your best players and/or manager and suss you out 2nd season plus youll find it hard to attract players good enough for this league within your budget - i think swansea are different because theyve played a barcelona-esque style of football for for 5-10 years, started with martinez (not rogers)

Girdler_Massive

by Girdler_Massive » 30 Aug 2012 20:04

royalsteve
akranes I am of the opinion that we need young talents... extremely envious of Swansea's signings this summer also...

agree, i think stupid people said theyd have a 2nd season syndrome - laudrup was their best signing, which may have backfired. i honestly think swansea are good enough to finish in the top 6 and i wouldnt be surprised if they made the top 4. i reckon norwich wont do as well this season, they are a good side but theyll find out like we did last time that the better teams take your best players and/or manager and suss you out 2nd season plus youll find it hard to attract players good enough for this league within your budget - i think swansea are different because theyve played a barcelona-esque style of football for for 5-10 years, started with martinez (not rogers)

I agree with you about Norwich but Swansea??? Top 4/6: you're having a laugh! True they've been impressive but against who? A piss poor West Ham and QPR. Swansea will have done brilliantly if they can finish in the top half.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 30 Aug 2012 20:14

We will sign absolutely no one.
Close thread.

specialjon

by specialjon » 30 Aug 2012 20:26

West Stand Flash We will sign absolutely no one.
Close thread.

+1

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Aug 2012 20:29

royalsteve

Although Norwich haven't actually sold any of their best players and added to the squad with Snodgrass and Butterfield.

Their problem is more with bedding in the new manager, Hughton, who appears to want to play the percentages rather than go for it a la Lambert.

The message for us is that with our squad we must go hell for leather every game and see where we are in January.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 30 Aug 2012 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Optimist

by Optimist » 30 Aug 2012 20:30

The club phoned the Spire private hospital (where all players go for scans etc) today and said they were bringing someone (wouldn't give a name) in for a medical examination tomorrow. I know this because I have family who work there.

So, I think we're probably going to sign someone on TDD.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Aug 2012 20:32

Optimist The club phoned the Spire private hospital (where all players go for scans etc) today and said they were bringing someone (wouldn't give a name) in for a medical examination tomorrow. I know this because I have family who work there.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Probably Kebe's dodgy knee.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 30 Aug 2012 20:32

Optimist The club phoned the Spire private hospital (where all players go for scans etc) today and said they were bringing someone (wouldn't give a name) in for a medical examination tomorrow. I know this because I have family who work there.

Love made up ITK :roll: :roll: :roll:

Optimist

by Optimist » 30 Aug 2012 20:37

West Stand Flash

No, I'm not some bellend who wants to try and be ITK. I'm honestly telling you what I've been told.

And no, it's not Kebe or any current squad member, because they give the players name when its just an xray, but for medicals for new signings they give no personal info until they are inside the place. This is exactly what happened with Pogrebnyak.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 30 Aug 2012 20:39

Hey don't get me wrong I hope you're right but just can't see it.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Aug 2012 20:44

May be Carlton Cole with Carroll joining West Sham.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Aug 2012 20:55

TheSiege If Blackburn get Rhodes, West ham get Carroll and we get a West Ham cast-off and stay up - that will show everything that is right about the club!

Corrected for you

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 30 Aug 2012 21:13

West Stand Flash

That reminds me, how is your Dad? He doesn't post much when the going's good...

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 30 Aug 2012 21:31

Credit to Optimist, he was bang on with Pog!!

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 30 Aug 2012 21:32

Dare to Dr£am Credit to Optimist, he was bang on with Pog!!

So what you're saying is... we're signing MESSI?!!

614 posts