Official Deadline Day Thread......

614 posts
themadstad

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by themadstad » 31 Aug 2012 20:22

windermere_royal Looks to me like BM wants to stay loyal to the players that got us here if only for one season, frankly I think thats foolish reasoning with the huge amounts of money on offer next season..but hey what do I know?

You can see why he'd do that but I'm not sure how far loyalty will get you. Let's look at it like this, a player who comes up with us and has a good season, gets a contract offer from Spurs, off he goes. Where's the loyalty? We could risk an even bigger windfall of increased TV revenue.

Esteban

by Esteban » 31 Aug 2012 20:23

ManchesterRoyals
Esteban
Ideal Jordan Ayew is what, 20 years old and plays for Marseille?
Only 7 goals last season, but played most of their matches, and then he's only 20! And has played champions league football.
To me that sounds like a player who is well worth £5M, I don't see any logic in dropping off at £4M.

I don't know much about this Zaha bloke, but isn't he something like 20 years old and an England Under 21 player? Doesn't sound like £5M is expensive for what you're getting, as compared to £4M.

How do you know that we are refusing to pay the extra? The stumbling block (if we're even in for them in the first place), could be anything. They might want all the money up front, they might want a huge sell on clause, or a sack load of cash if they reach a certain number of games.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of the budget for the right player, but if we get bullied into paying more than we're prepared to every time we sign a player, we'll soon end up without any cash to spend at all.

If u want the best players u got to pay the demands that clubs players agents want thats football

That's also unsustainable. Football will eat itself soon enough.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Aug 2012 20:25

They've put the Chelsea game on in the pub, have I missed anything? I assume we've signed Zaha?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 20:26

Certainly not seen the millions from TSI and frankly I am disappointed. Quality in depth of our squad compared to those who have come up with us now is astronomical.

Just look at the benches of clubs compared to ours.

4 million for a newly taken over club is paltry and a massive let down in my book.

Anton's middle name Spencer?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 20:26

If we sign Zaha though then I will take it all back!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 31 Aug 2012 20:32

Serious question as I was on a hiatus from this board back then; did hobnob go into near meltdown when we didn't buy anyone on deadline day on our first season in the premiership? I'm suspecting it did.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Aug 2012 20:39

Quibbling over a million or there or slightly unfavourable loan terms is going to look really fcuking silly if we end up going down. Time to play with the big boys. Southampton made a massive statement today, and for now at least, so are we. Cloth well and truly cut.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Aug 2012 20:44

cmonurz Quibbling over a million or there or slightly unfavourable loan terms is going to look really fcuking silly if we end up going down. Time to play with the big boys. Southampton made a massive statement today, and for now at least, so are we. Cloth well and truly cut.

Spot on.

Open the facking wallet.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 20:46

LoyalRoyalFan
cmonurz Quibbling over a million or there or slightly unfavourable loan terms is going to look really fcuking silly if we end up going down. Time to play with the big boys. Southampton made a massive statement today, and for now at least, so are we. Cloth well and truly cut.

Spot on.

Open the facking wallet.

I agree but i think are business is done :twisted:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Aug 2012 20:46

I want it all and I want it NOW!

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 31 Aug 2012 20:47

I am fully committed to a whip round at £20 a head to make up that extra million. There has to be 50,000 Reading fans that can stump up the cash in the next 2 and a quarter hours.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Aug 2012 20:48

Royal Rother I want it all and I want it NOW!

They couldn't wait to get Nicky Shorey through the door again, but baulk at the first mention of spending a bit of money on a highly-rated young player.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 31 Aug 2012 20:55

cmonurz Spending money is a reality of being in this league. That was my point. We got here before and, imho, threw it away for lack of investment.

One day, one transfer window, we will HAVE to be the club that pays a few million each for some quality players – that is if we genuinely want to establish ourselves in this league.

Yeah, Powell might be great, but his potential signing (that does appear to just be rumours) gets a massive *shrug* from me, not exciting at all.

The players I want to see coming in are the likes of Rhodes and Zaha – quality young players who will cost us a bit, but are coveted by a number of clubs. And we look at the player, and the cost, and those other clubs and we say ‘no, we want him at Reading’, and we do what we have to do to secure his signature.

That’s not throwing millions away, it’s investing in this league and our future.

What guarantees Rhodes or Zaha being better than Powell? Personally I would put Powell in those group of players with the difference being Man Utd rated Powell higher and decided to snap him up for £4m.

I agree with the point about investing in permanent deals, however if an opportunity arises to take a high quality young player on loan for a minimal cost, why shouldn't we want to go for it?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Aug 2012 20:56

i cant believe we didn`t learn our lesson the last time we were up at this level :shock:

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 31 Aug 2012 20:58

I'm confident we won't be signing anyone today.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 20:59

windermere_royal i cant believe we didn`t learn our lesson the last time we were up at this level :shock:

1+

Even southampton are doing business

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Aug 2012 21:02

JS28ZoD
What guarantees Rhodes or Zaha being better than Powell?

This sort of attitude gets to me and I hope it's not something that runs through RFC. There is no guarantee. Every transfer is a risk. Zaha's right leg could fall off tomorrow, who knows.

We are showing no signs of learning the lessons of our last visit to the Premier League - if the rumours that we are pulling out of deals for unfavourable loan terms, or £1m extra up front, are true. Where is the ambition? If Marseille want £5m for Ayew, and McDermott thinks he's the business, then pay it. This isn't like buying a used car, ffs, you don't threaten to storm out and wait for the salesman to make you a better deal.

If Palace want £3m for Zaha, pay it. If it's £4m, pay it. We aren't as far as rumours go, talking insane money for these players, just a decent rate for genuine quality. If we won't pay that, then we don't belong here at all.

As for Powell, as I said earlier, a big *shrug* from me. If we sign him, great, he scored some goals and looked class for Crewe. Do I think he will help us stay up? Well many on here doubted Rhodes could, and he has much more of a pedigree. I want our sights set higher than an 18 year old from League 2.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 31 Aug 2012 21:03

ManchesterRoyals
windermere_royal Looks to me like BM wants to stay loyal to the players that got us here if only for one season, frankly I think thats foolish reasoning with the huge amounts of money on offer next season..but hey what do I know?

I agree but thats very very risky

Considering much of the squad massively over-achieved last season, yes it's risky. I just hope Brian doesn't become too loyal and it costs us like it did with Coppell.

Strength in depth we do not have.

In Federici, Gunter, Pearce, Karacan, McCleary, Guthrie, Pog and Roberts I feel we have Premiership quality.

In the rest of the first team I think we're vulnerable, and the fringe players show us up to be very lightweight indeed. That's not an over-reaction based on not signing anyone today. One striker wouldn't do much; but we over-achieved last season and the squad needs a massive overhaul if it wants to establish itself in the Prem.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2012 21:05

Royal Rother I want it all and I want it NOW!

Just want something, would be nice!

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 31 Aug 2012 21:07

Considering much of the squad massively over-achieved last season, yes it's risky. I just hope Brian doesn't become too loyal and it costs us like it did with Coppell.

Strength in depth we do not have.

In Federici, Gunter, Pearce, Karacan, McCleary, Guthrie, Pog and Roberts I feel we have Premiership quality.

In the rest of the first team I think we're vulnerable, and the fringe players show us up to be very lightweight indeed. That's not an over-reaction based on not signing anyone today. One striker wouldn't do much; but we over-achieved last season and the squad needs a massive overhaul if it wants to establish itself in the Prem.[/quote]

I agree with u that we need more quality to strengthen the squad but was it coppell or was it really madejski that cost us the first time?

614 posts